Long range shooting.

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
ncjw

Re: Long range shooting.

Post by ncjw » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:25 pm

runeight wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:06 pm
1000 yards? You bet. Watched several vids on this. Would make it more of a challenge huh?

600 with iron. Wow. Bet he has a few rounds under his belt.
Palma is 800, 900, 1,000 yds with 155 gr .308 (the lighter bullet makes the wind a much bigger factor), iron sights only. 600 yds is barely warming up for them.
0 x

runeight
Founding Member #: 198

Post by runeight » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:42 am

ncjw wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:19 pm
runeight wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:54 pm
I do love my X-Bolt with a 26 incher. :lol:
You may also have a perfectly good 1,000 yd rifle already. I don't know what kind of scope you have there but borrowing a higher power scope from someone and trying it out might lead to spending the money on a scope. 20x on the high end would be a minimum, 25x would be better. (Yes, I know that the military used a 10x for decades, but they weren't shooting at MOA 10 ring targets, they were shooting at MOHuman.)

Worst case, a gunsmith rebarreling your .308 into a 6.5 CM (if you really need it) might also be cheaper.
For now I have UTG scope on it. I get a pretty good deal thru my LGS. For the money they are really nice. Upgrading the scope down the road is an excellent idea and your right, let’s see where I go before investing into a Creedmore.

I doubt I would change just the barrel. With a Browning rebate I could buy Another X-Bolt for around $650 plus scope but once again if this progresses I’ll buy a LH model. Ruger makes a 6.5 with a 28 inch barrel but once again, RH. When you live in a RH world shooting a RH rifle is no big deal. I do somethings RH other LH. Never know when someone will trade or sell a 6.5 at the LGS. I’ve bought several this way.

0 x
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.

runeight

Post by runeight » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:13 pm

I have a few hundred rounds but in the future I know Hornady is great ammunition. Of course they manufacture all kinds.

Which would you recommend? 165/168/178 etc.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... nd/hornady
0 x
We are in a civil war..

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:02 pm

runeight wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:13 pm
I have a few hundred rounds but in the future I know Hornady is great ammunition. Of course they manufacture all kinds.

Which would you recommend? 165/168/178 etc.
All I can say for sure is that my Rem700 PSS works best with Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr BTHP (168gr GMM). It also happens to be the standard in the industry, so I am only one of many who use it. If your rifle isn't shooting it well, look at everything else first before looking at another round (not saying that it might not like GMM, but the odds are that it is something else.)

I cannot reload a more accurate round than that one (but that could easily be due to my reloading skills...)

Ammoseek has them from reputable vendors (PSA, SG Ammo, Outdoor Ldt, Target Sports) at $17-18/box.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Makes sense. Buy some different ammunition then decide which is best for the rifle and me. ;-)
0 x
We are in a civil war..

davsco

Post by davsco » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:21 pm

no reason not to get started with your browning, but with thinner barrel and not having a higher cheekpiece for the typical higher-magnification scopes that sit up higher, it's not the best choice. but again, start with what you have definitely.

chrono the ammo you will be using (don't just use what it says on the box), drop fps and the bullet's ballistic coefficient into a ballistics program (i use 'shooter' on my phone, $10 to buy), and start shooting at various distances and see where you're hitting vs what your program says.

start with federal gold medal 175 smk and see how your rifle likes those. good luck, long range shooting and PRS is pretty addictive. also, check out snipershide.com for all things long range.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Yup, I plan on using the Browning. For now it will suffice nicely. Add to that next fall might be a whole new ballgame for firearms and me.

Our range currently goes to 600 yards. Plans call for longer distances but we know how that can get delayed. One thing I got going is my LGS. If I don’t like something I sell it there and throw a couple of bucks to the owner. :-D
0 x
We are in a civil war..

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:55 am

davsco wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:21 pm
no reason not to get started with your browning, but with thinner barrel and not having a higher cheekpiece for the typical higher-magnification scopes that sit up higher, it's not the best choice. but again, start with what you have definitely.
Agreed, which is why I suggested eventually rebarreling instead of a new X-bolt in 6.5 CM. The long thin barrel might be a bit too whippy for long range, but you should be able to get a pretty good feel for that from just 100 or 200 yards groups. Rebarreling with a heavier profile barrel will solve the LH issue, but the stock will probably need to be let out a bit.

The heavier barrel will also heat up more slowly, which should reduce mirage as well.

Somewhere online (or in the printable targets thread) there is a 600 yd MR target reduced to 100 yds to give you a sense of what you will be looking at. Essentially, it a MOA relationship, so just try and get 20 rounds into a 10 ring 1" group at 100 yds (ideally) or into a 9 ring 2" group (competitive) to work out issues with the rifle, scope and load. Once that is solid, it is a ballistics calculator as above (known ranges you can do ahead of time on a PC without a phone app or range finder) and learning how to read the wind, which is really where the art comes in.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:55 am

Santa brought me a gift today. I’ll have to wait however. :sad:

0 x
We are in a civil war..

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 pm

runeight wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:55 am
Don't keep us in suspense, you bought a Leupold what?
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:16 pm

ncjw wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 pm
runeight wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:55 am
Don't keep us in suspense, you bought a Leupold what?
I put in a request for a spotting scope for Christmas. Still wrapped in factory plastic. Pretty sure it’s a scope but which one I do not know. :-D
0 x
We are in a civil war..

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 009

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:08 pm

Nice. Santas bringing me a new reloading press so i can get better loads made
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Another package arrived. Two actually. ;-)

Leica Rangemaster CRF 2000-B Rangefinder 40536 and optional tripod mount.

0 x
We are in a civil war..

runeight

Post by runeight » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:16 pm

ncjw wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:19 pm
runeight wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:54 pm
I do love my X-Bolt with a 26 incher. :lol:
You may also have a perfectly good 1,000 yd rifle already. I don't know what kind of scope you have there but borrowing a higher power scope from someone and trying it out might lead to spending the money on a scope
This should do...

K624i
0 x
We are in a civil war..

runeight

Post by runeight » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:56 pm

0 x
We are in a civil war..

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:11 pm

runeight wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:56 pm
Another scope choice..

http://vortexoptics.com/product/vortex- ... oa-reticle
Another good choice is the NightForce SHV 5-20x56mm with the MOAR Center Illuminated Reticle. The simple illuminated center cross focuses you on the target. Remember, for F class shooting, the distances will be known and you will be able to dial in the elevation accurately, so you won't need all of the horus gradations, the windage will be on plane with the target. I really think that the illumination really helps, as black crosshairs on a black bull is hard to drill down on.

Again, make sure that the rifle is good enough for the scope before spending the money. Your current scope should be more than enough to prove things out at 100 or 200 yds.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:21 am

More reading on scopes. The Nightforce is a pretty nice scope as well as the Vortex. Both around the same price point. Nightforce in the lead. I also like the NF NXS™ 5.5-22×50. Pretty much the same scope.

The scopes I’m researching are not for the Browning rifle. That’s done and where it should be. Scope shopping for a build next year. After many online reviews and videos I’m just going to buy the Tikka and be done with it. Many reviewers had buyers remorse buying the Savage or others. Nothing bad on the Tikka. (Only exception being the folding stock hitting the receiver when closing.) I’m not saying the Savage wouldn’t be a nice gun.

I also like the mount options of the Nightforce since the Tikka has the full rail. Much more flexibility in position and scope ring options. 56mm is a large scope.

So, going to sell a few firearms over time and fund the scope and rifle purchase. Rifle is a done deal and will order soon. Never see a sale but if you notice one drop me a PM. Left hand model # JRTAC482L

I might just wait until after Shot Show to see what’s new. Makes sense.

0 x
We are in a civil war..

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:29 pm

Also look into the https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Scope-5-2 ... ref=plSrch same scope as the stieners. Thats what I plan on upgrading to on mine and my wifes 308's
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:37 pm

Ghostwolf308 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:29 pm
Also look into the https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Scope-5-2 ... ref=plSrch same scope as the stieners. Thats what I plan on upgrading to on mine and my wifes 308's
Nice scope. Only thing is it’s in Mil, I’m leaning towards Moa in 1/4 increments. At least for now.

Thanks for the link. ;-)
0 x
We are in a civil war..

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:30 pm

They make them in moa as well. Just the one i found. Great choice on the Tikka btw!!
0 x