Mantis X10

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
Ghostwolf308
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 002

Mantis X10

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:29 pm

Ok Fanatiks with the current climate and ammo shortage I got a little something to play with and review. The https://mantisx.com/products/mantis-x10-elite!!! I havent palyed with it yet but just looking at the menus this should be a great training tool. More info to come.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
1 x
I'm on Instagram as @wildland_outdoors.

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Re: Mantis X10

Post by Tejas Products » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:20 pm

I’ve heard nothing but good about the mantis X.
1 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

Dedsquirrl

Post by Dedsquirrl » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:16 am

Bookmarked topic and looking forward to your review.
0 x

BentAero

Post by BentAero » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:36 pm

I have one if the original MantisX devices from when they first came out. I used it at home a fair amount when new, but I rarely get it out anymore.
The gun won't fit in the holster with it installed, so no draws, and it doesn't record well during live action shooting when rapid movements are involved.
I understand the new X10 has much improved software and it's made to shoot on the move, making it far more useful.
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:33 am

Hey @Ghostwolf308...MONEY WELL SPENT!!!

I purchased one a couple months ago, and can't say enough good about it. I bought it to bring some detailed analysis to my dry fire training. It also has a number of training drills which allows you to focus on trigger control. There's also three "Shooting Courses" where you have to perform a number of drills and achieve a level of proficiency for each drill. You can't move onto the next drill without "passing" the one you're on.

I also bought the X10 Elite version for the "Holster Draw Analysis" drill. That's what mainly drove me to the X10. There's a "Recoilmeter" feature to use in live fire. I haven't used that yet. The holster drill requires you to mount the Mantis to your mag so you can holster the gun. I initially had a problem getting it to work. It ended up where I had the Mantis mounted backwards. It has to be in the "forward" position, with the charging port towards the rear of the gun. I also bought the dedicated mag mount for a SIG mag. I found the one they include, mounted with 3M tape, just didn't hold securely. I keep this mag fully loaded with dummy rounds so I'm always training with a full "weighted" gun.

For drills that don't require use of a holster, I usually mount the Mantis on the rail. I also use a Double Alpha weighted training mag, again to have a fully weighted gun. These mags are nice because you don't have to deal with dummy rounds and you can work on reloads without the gun "racking" rounds. You also need to have the mantis mounted on the rail to run the "Reload Drills". The Mantis wouldn't be happy hitting the floor! :lol:

The holster drill doesn't give you any details on the shot itself, but does a great job of breaking down the draw sequence.

You can view the "draw stoke" and see how consistent you are...

I also use a set of 1/3 scale USPSA targets I purchased from Ben Stouger's Pro Shop. I also purchased the Hard Cover Stickers to make various hard cover targets we see in competition. I'll use the "Open Training Drill" with my shot timer, laser bullet, and usually three targets. I'll draw on the timer, get a sight picture on target #1, transition to target #2, and then transition to target #3 breaking the shot. The Mantis will show the details for the shot, and the laser bullet allows me to see where on the target the shot would hit.

https://benstoegerproshop.com/accessori ... e-targets/

Here's a couple images of the targets...

There's really no limit to how you can use the Mantis. I have yet to play with it in "Live Fire" mode, but definitely plan to.

OH YEA...and you get a really nice patch for completing the courses too! :-BD

0 x

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:59 pm

@GlennSFX have you used thw group feature much?
0 x

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:01 pm

Videos up guys. Please subscibe to my channel im plannin on making a few more videos about the X10 and follow me on Instagram @Wildland_Outdoors.

2 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Ghostwolf308 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:59 pm
@GlennSFX have you used thw group feature much?
No, I haven't.
For me it's more of an individual" analysis tool" to help with my dry fire comp training.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:04 pm

Ghostwolf308 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:01 pm
Videos up guys. Please subscibe to my channel im plannin on making a few more videos about the X10 and follow me on Instagram @Wildland_Outdoors.

Nice job with the video, I did subscribe. It would be interesting to see how the groups work, especially if you get one for the CF forum group. If you have any questions, I'll try to help and answer them. I always train with a fully weighted gun. I find that it's more stable for me. Yes you will get tired faster, but I'll train until I see my scores are being negatively affected. Like I mentioned before, I use it a little "out-of-the-box" with multiple targets and breaking the shot on the last one for the data. You can be pretty creative with it.

One comment regarding the videos you make for the three courses they offer...they might be long! Some of the scoring requirements are pretty challenging, especially when you get to the Elite course. One mediocre shot and you're screwed! :lol:

Here's the course requirements in case you don't have the PDF...

1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:07 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:04 pm
Ghostwolf308 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:01 pm
Nice job with the video, I did subscribe. It would be interesting to see how the groups work, especially if you get one for the CF forum group. If you have any questions, I'll try to help and answer them. I always train with a fully weighted gun. I find that it's more stable for me. Yes you will get tired faster, but I'll train until I see my scores are being negatively affected. Like I mentioned before, I use it a little "out-of-the-box" with multiple targets and breaking the shot on the last one for the data. You can be pretty creative with it.

One comment regarding the videos you make for the three courses they offer...they might be long! You'll probably want to break them down and do each individual challenge in the course separately. Some of the scoring requirements are pretty challenging, especially when you get to the Elite course. One mediocre shot and you're screwed! :lol:

Here's the course requirements in case you don't have the PDF...

0 x

deserttrans
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by deserttrans » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Thanks for the interesting info!
0 x

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:44 pm

@GlennSFX i know you can train together but ive seen whefe they have done competitions with it as well. I was thinking the same thing a big CF virtual shoot etc....

Yeah i may have to break the videos up but think it woild be good to get the info out there for potential buyers.
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:56 pm

Ghostwolf308 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:44 pm
@GlennSFX i know you can train together but ive seen whefe they have done competitions with it as well. I was thinking the same thing a big CF virtual shoot etc....

Yeah i may have to break the videos up but think it woild be good to get the info out there for potential buyers.
DEFINITELY!!!!! :-BD
0 x

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:15 pm

Mantis told there is no way to do online comps. But you xan set training benchmarks and still train. Im sure you could still do a group shoot and go by scores.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:27 pm

Ghostwolf308 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:15 pm
Mantis told there is no way to do online comps. But you xan set training benchmarks and still train. Im sure you could still do a group shoot and go by scores.
You could set up one of the drills, or combo to run, and post a screenshot with the score and timestamp from the phone. Just start a Mantis Competition Thread, and challenges can be setup there.
0 x

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:23 pm

@GlennSFX not sure how many people have one but would be intersting to see what we can do with it
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:41 am

Ghostwolf308 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:23 pm
@GlennSFX not sure how many people have one but would be intersting to see what we can do with it
Maybe post a thread and see how many on the forum have one.
0 x