Looking To Buy My First AR 15

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Looking To Buy My First AR 15

Post by colonel00 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:47 am

gunn wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:40 pm
As for the Creedmoor I own one and wish I did not. IMHO
Why?
0 x

gunn
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by gunn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:18 am

The accuracy is not up to the Grendel's. I got it thinking; 6.5 very accurate bullet, more powder has to be better, right? Did not turn out that way.
0 x
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
45 ACP, Because short fat and slow will get the job done.

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:34 am

gunn wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:18 am
The accuracy is not up to the Grendel's. I got it thinking; 6.5 very accurate bullet, more powder has to be better, right? Did not turn out that way.
My expensive 24" Alexander Arms Grendel is a lot more accurate than my home built 18" Creedmoor (with a Wilson barrel, so it shouldn't be a slouch), but that is an n=2 comparison. Considering that almost all PRS guys use the 6.5 Creedmoor (or its close cousin, the 6.5 Lapua) while no one uses the Grendel, I'd still go with the Creedmoor. Also, when you get to 1,000 yds, there will be no one shooting the Grendel there either.

Again, I love my Grendels, but the AA patent nonsense and the Type I vs II nonsense prevented their widespread adoption for a decade and the 6.5CM came in and blew it away. For hunting anything in the lower 48, a lightweight Grendel AR15 platform should get you anything out to any ethical distance. It has just been surpassed by the 6.5CM for target shooting. The 6.5CM will also do everything a Grendel can do hunting, just in a heavier platform.
1 x

RWIG
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RWIG » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:47 pm

Does anyone have experience using the CMMG .22LR AR-15 Conversion Kit?

One of my current practices when going to the range is to bring my Mossberg 715P along so one I have shot up my allotted amount of 9mm, I can spend more time on the range making carnival holes in paper targets with my .22LR. When I finally get my AR, I am sure that the practice wont change, in fact, not only would I want to shoot .22LR just to extend my shooting time, but also use it to train my younger daughter. Since all that is needed is to change the BCG and magazines, then it will be easier to shoot both calibers without lugging around 2 separate rifles.

Has anyone actually used the CMMG kit? Or a similar kit? Give you your thoughts and opinions.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:20 pm

CMMG kits aren't bad, several different manafactuers making the same style kits so mags are pretty readily available. .22lr generally has higher twist rate then the typical 1:7-1:9 AR fine for practice and plinking but go dedicated upper with barrel meant for .22lr if your looking for higher precision but it'll do fine with what you're looking for.
0 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:41 am

If you play the sales, you can get a PSA rifle (upper and complete lower purchased separately) for less than $400, give or take with shipping and FFL fees. Right out of the gate, you've got a good shooter with good customer support. Then comes the tinkering and part swapping. Then comes the stripped lower with the "upgraded" components. Then the stripped with the "wish list" components.

Unless you're competing outdoors, I'd stick with a flash suppressor. If (when, who are we kidding?) you build a pistol, a linear comp will send most of your gas, sound, and fury downrange. Kaw Valley Precision and Simple Threaded Device make decent and inexpensive devices for that.

@LT USN (Ret.) to avoid the release shot in echo or binary mode, you engage the safety before you release the trigger. Allegedly, that will engage the standard sear and return you to the standard trigger pull.
1 x

Maximumdarkside

Post by Maximumdarkside » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:27 pm

https://abcrifle.com/firearms.html?prod ... rder=price

I didn’t see anyone mention this site, I’ve gotten a couple from them in the past and they functioned great. $400 or less for rifles built and ready to run.
0 x
Sanity and insanity are just states of mind, what state are you in?

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:59 pm

Maximumdarkside wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:27 pm

I didn’t see anyone mention this site, I’ve gotten a couple from them in the past and they functioned great. $400 or less for rifles built and ready to run.
Ugly rollmarks but good rifles they occasionally have runs of m16 shelf cut lowers
0 x

Coachdodd
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Coachdodd » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:42 am

PSA is an excllent choice, honestly, Especially for a lower. Watch for sales and grab one up.

I used PSA lower and all lower internals (except for trigger), and then went with a different upper. I even found my sight, BCG, and charging handle, and even my ammo for great deals on PSA
0 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:39 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:59 pm
Maximumdarkside wrote:

Ugly rollmarks but good rifles they occasionally have runs of m16 shelf cut lowers
Whew! $400 for a functional AR with a trusted review is a pretty good deal.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:45 pm

ncjw wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:39 pm
TL1000RSquid wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:59 pm
Maximumdarkside wrote:

Whew! $400 for a functional AR with a trusted review is a pretty good deal.
Right now PSA Has complete rifle for $350 shipped(no rear sight included), need to buy the lower and upper together not a complete package but both have free shipping on them.

Ok just looked the free shipping is over but they've had the same deal repeating all the time last month or so on daily deals it'll be back with in a week.
0 x