Why you should stay out of NY 3.5 year sentence for having 4 guns in vehicle

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Why you should stay out of NY 3.5 year sentence for having 4 guns in vehicle

Post by TL1000RSquid » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:42 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... arges.html

Ok yeah he's a former NBA player so at first I figured he was a felon or had some domestic charges but turns out he's in the clear and has a Fl CCW permit. He's got bad taste in pistols but no reason to send a man to prison.

Ex-NBA player Sebastian Telfair has a meltdown in court after he's sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison after being found with three loaded handguns and a gas-powered submachine gun in his vehicle during a traffic stop
Sebastian Telfair, 34, started shouting and crying in a Brooklyn courtroom on Monday after the judge handed down his years-long prison sentence
He said, 'Please don't take me from society right now,' and told the court he is being convicted of a victimless crime
Officers pulled over Telfair in the early morning on June 11, 2017 after they said Telfair failed to turn his headlights on
They arrested Telfair and his passenger after smelling weed in their pickup truck
The officers searched the vehicle and found three loaded handguns, a submachine gun, extended magazines, ammunition and a ballistic vest
Telfair said he had a Florida license to carry the guns, but didn't have a license too carry them in New York
A first-round pick in the 2004 NBA Draft, Telfair is the cousin of former All-Star point guard Stephon Marbury
0 x

Lthrnck1775

Re: Why you should stay out of NY 3.5 year sentence for having 4 guns in vehicle

Post by Lthrnck1775 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:21 am

Well... the moral of that story is... turn on your headlights and lay off the weed, especially if carrying loaded 'gas-powered' machine guns....lol

File this story under: dumbassery
3 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Re: Why you should stay out of NY 3.5 year sentence for having 4 guns in vehicle

Post by Tejas Products » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:31 am

Lthrnck1775 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:21 am

=))
0 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:37 am

Lthrnck1775 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:21 am
Well... the moral of that story is... turn on your headlights and lay off the weed, especially if carrying loaded 'gas-powered' machine guns....lol

The weed part seems questionable i didnt read about any charges for that or see any on the evidence table, may of just been an excuse to search the car.
0 x

Lthrnck1775

Post by Lthrnck1775 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:47 am

Surely the 'alleged' perps have heard about the infamous Peoples Republic of NY when it comes to gun laws....? Same with PR of NJ and Mass.

Again.... "early morning" hours, no headlights, reefer ….. plus being loaded for bear.... i'd be a little skeptical if I was the po-po myself. Now if this was John Q. Citizen, driving home from work... or passing thru the state, and getting stopped for some banal "crime" (i.e. change lanes without signaling) - I think you'd have a legit case to battle NY. IMHO, this does not appear that case.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:51 pm

Let me revise that headline for you...

WHY YOU SHOULD STAY OUT OF N.Y AND CALIFORNIA
1 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

colonel00

Post by colonel00 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:29 pm

"gas-powered submachine gun" A Wha?!?!?! The ignorance is amazing. While I guess it's possible that it is a gas-operated PCC, which I doubt, it most definitely isn't gas powered. After all, where is the gas tank and spark plug? As far as being a submachine gun, well, if it truly functions as an automatic weapon then I could see grounds for a felony. However, my guess is this is just a simple 9mm AR pistol that is blowback operated and nothing but semi-automatic.
1 x

Lthrnck1775

Post by Lthrnck1775 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:45 pm

Similar to the "Automatic clip thingy".... Well M16 and AR15 are gas operated (DGI or gas-piston), so is blowback technically speaking...lol

However, I actually have no clue how the 9mm chambered scary black guns operate. Don't have one. Now I must use my google-fu to investigate. Inquiring minds wanna know.

Looking at the Fox News story (instead of the Daily Mail) … apparently these geniuses were sitting in a pickup on the MEDIAN at 2:30am ...then did a U-turn ….without any headlights on....right in front of an unmarked cop car.
There was a lit joint....in the truck.

The "friend" apparently testified/admitted against said former NBA upstanding citizen.

… and Darwin smiled.
2 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:56 pm

Lthrnck1775 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:45 pm
… and Darwin smiled.
PERFECT!
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

colonel00

Post by colonel00 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Lthrnck1775 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:45 pm
Similar to the "Automatic clip thingy".... Well M16 and AR15 are gas operated (DGI or gas-piston), so is blowback technically speaking...lol

However, I actually have no clue how the 9mm chambered scary black guns operate. Don't have one. Now I must use my google-fu to investigate. Inquiring minds wanna know.

Looking at the Fox News story (instead of the Daily Mail) … apparently these geniuses were sitting in a pickup on the MEDIAN at 2:30am ...then did a U-turn ….without any headlights on....right in front of an unmarked cop car.
There was a lit joint....in the truck.

The "friend" apparently testified/admitted against said former NBA upstanding citizen.

… and Darwin smiled.
Most if not all 9mm AR's are just blowback, like a pistol or 10/22. There is no gas system.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:03 pm

When they train you for your CCW, they typically stress that state laws vary and that you need to know the reciprocity states.

I used to have to drive from NC to MD and sometimes even pass through DC. I either didn't bring my gun or stayed in VA and left it in the hotel in a locked suitcase. You DO NOT take chances in anti-gun states. They scan license plates and cross reference cars with owners on interstate CCW databases.
0 x

zeda3000

Post by zeda3000 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:04 am

Carry NIJ IIIA level outter vest ? Where he want to wear it ? even not undershirt vest ? I think this guy want to play little undercover role Game and he just hit the Jackpot.

Secondly as @@TL1000RSquid said , why they are sending him to prison? He not attending to sell them or shoot with them. Even in Turkey if you are police catch you with none registred pistol , you will just bann forever apply again any fire arm and get payment fee. (Just Assult Riffle not cover it this law. If you have Assult rifle , we starting talk about 3-5 years minimum)
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:45 am

zeda3000 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:04 am
Carry NIJ IIIA level outter vest ? Where he want to wear it ? even not undershirt vest ? I think this guy want to play little undercover role Game and he just hit the Jackpot.

Secondly as @@TL1000RSquid said , why they are sending him to prison? He not attending to sell them or shoot with them. Even in Turkey if you are police catch you with none registred pistol , you will just bann forever apply again any fire arm and get payment fee. (Just Assult Riffle not cover it this law. If you have Assult rifle , we starting talk about 3-5 years minimum)
Not sure what his story for the vest was, could just be an urban fashion statement have seen rappers wearing them before and being a former nba player who knows he may of had 5 or 6 figures of jewelry on his neck and around his wrist, athletes are popular targets for being robbed. Not the greatest example for how NY can screw you over but it was the most recent one, others have also been arrested for driving through NY with guns locked up in cases, and a couple years ago someone was even arrested at the airport for having a gun in their checked luggage when NY wasnt even their destination just a layover stop IIRC in that case the person eventually walked with all charges dropped but I'm sure it ended up costing them serious money on lawyers. Depending what the DA wants to charge you with unlicensed handgun possession in NY can be a Misdemeanor or Felony, also his mags for the sig mpx would be illegal their as well.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:31 am

A bit more background. Telfair was already arrested once for a NY weapons violation, so this was a second offense for a gun crime in NY. Also, although he was a first round pick, he was considered a bust as he never averaged double figures and was traded a lot. He made $20M in his career, but as the old story goes, he may not have had much, if any left. He also had an Adidas contract, but that was cancelled after the first arrest.

By all accounts he was a nice enough guy, but he obviously was missing something, as he was illegally parked in the median, had drugs and guns in the car, was wearing the vest and had priors. As above, that is a lot of Darwin qualifications for anyone and frankly, jail might do him some good.
1 x

Lthrnck1775

Post by Lthrnck1775 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:04 am

The initial reports are always sketchy. Sure enough when you dig deeper.... it did indeed walk like a duck, quack like a duck, etc. :)
0 x

Bish1309

Post by Bish1309 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:55 am

My wife loves NY. I don't think I'll ever go back.
0 x
Signature here **==