Springfield XDE now in 3.8" and 4.5"

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Springfield XDE now in 3.8" and 4.5"

Post by Janik » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:03 pm

The Springfield XD-E is apparently available now in 3.8" and 4.5" barrel lengths, and still single stack. I had considered the 3.3" for CC when it was released, but man I just can't get over how ugly they are. I held one at my LGS, and the grip is surprisingly comfortable to me, but they just look goofy. Anyway, if your looking for a single stack DA/SA for conceal carry, it may be a good option. I know a couple people that own an XD-E, and they are happy with them. I guess I'm just kinda surprised to see more hammer fired handguns coming to market, as it seems the masses are all about the strikers.

Anyway, next time I'm at my LGS, I may have to borrow one from the rental counter and put some rounds down range. Anyone own an XD-E? What are your thoughts on it? I also noticed no listing for 45cal like the 3.3", only 9mm.
Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 8.50.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 8.50.27 PM.png (269.84 KiB) Viewed 77 times
Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 8.50.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 8.50.01 PM.png (284.12 KiB) Viewed 77 times
Link to the Springfield website. https://www.springfield-armory.com/xde-series/
0 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Springfield XDE now in 3.8" and 4.5"

Post by qballbandit » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:36 pm

I too held the 3.3, and liked the way it felt in my shooting hand, though I'm a lefty. If they made an ambi slide-lock, the 3.3, or even the 3.8 would be a serious consideration. The Canik Da is now the only one of my 3 9mm's that isn't ambi, and I vowed to not ever purchase another unless it was. Luckily, I will be switching all the mag catches to the right side soon, which will be a big improvement for me.

All that said, I've heard plenty of good things about this line of Springfield's from folks around the range.

Neil 8-)
0 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:46 pm

qballbandit wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:36 pm
I too held the 3.3, and liked the way it felt in my shooting hand, though I'm a lefty. If they made an ambi slide-lock, the 3.3, or even the 3.8 would be a serious consideration. The Canik Da is now the only one of my 3 9mm's that isn't ambi, and I vowed to not ever purchase another unless it was. Luckily, I will be switching all the mag catches to the right side soon, which will be a big improvement for me.

All that said, I've heard plenty of good things about this line of Springfield's from folks around the range.

Neil 8-)
I'm a lefty too, and have grown accustom to releasing the mag with my middle finger, so I've never bothered switching the mag release around. I like that the decocker/safety is ambi on this. The 3.8" is really starting to peak my interest. Hopefully my LGS will have these models soon so I can fondle them. I'm sure the grip though is just like the 3.3", since they all come with an 8 and 9 round mag.
0 x

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:38 pm

That 4.5" model looks pretty sweet to me.
My father-in-law has a XD-E and I find it to be a fairly comfortable gun. Sights were way off from the factory though. As an inexperienced shooter, he was having trouble getting anywhere on target. My brother-in-law and I both shot it, freehand and from a rest, and found that it printed way low and left for both of us.

Haven't had a chance to adjust the sights yet, but once we get it dialed in, I'm sure it will be a good handgun.
0 x
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik!

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:31 am

The only thing an ambi slide stop has given me is the ability to ride the lever so I don't get slide lock, just like all you right handed people have had to put up with all along.

I must say, these are interesting. I'm still holding out hope that the Avidity Arms PD10 becomes more than vaporware, but I could see making this my short-errand carry.

I'm too lazy to check right now, but are XDS mags compatible with the XDe?
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:08 am

Janik wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:46 pm
qballbandit wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:36 pm

Neil 8-)
I'm a lefty too, and have grown accustom to releasing the mag with my middle finger, so I've never bothered switching the mag release around. I like that the decocker/safety is ambi on this. The 3.8" is really starting to peak my interest. Hopefully my LGS will have these models soon so I can fondle them. I'm sure the grip though is just like the 3.3", since they all come with an 8 and 9 round mag.
Yep.... Just like you a Lefty... I tried using my thumb once to release a mag... Was weird... I've spent so many years using my left middle finger that it's just natural for me now... Also like others, I tend to only gravitate to firearms with ambi safety only when I can.
0 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:45 am

Tejas Products wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:08 am
Yep.... Just like you a Lefty... I tried using my thumb once to release a mag... Was weird... I've spent so many years using my left middle finger that it's just natural for me now... Also like others, I tend to only gravitate to firearms with ambi safety only when I can.
Me too, which is why I don't carry an LCS or other pocket guns, since they are right hand only. Therefore, I stick to traditional DA/SA carry guns. I do have a SCCY which is DA only, and has a long trigger, but the gun has never been reliable so I never carry it.
0 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:20 pm

Lgaam wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:31 am
I'm too lazy to check right now, but are XDS mags compatible with the XDe?
Ok. Quick Google-fu after getting home. The 8 and 9 round mag bodies are compatible. 8 will flush fit with no sleeve and the 9 needs the shorter +1 sleeve.
0 x