Outlaw vs. Regulation? Best Place to Start?

Discussion for Competition Shooting.
TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Outlaw vs. Regulation? Best Place to Start?

Post by TacoTyrant » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:15 am

Hello,

I've now shot in (2) IDPA comps and a few steel matches, and it's a ton of fun, and I learn a bunch with each one. That being said, there's a monthly IDPA locally and in the last match I signed up for CO (Carry Optic), but when the SO saw my pistol he asked what I signed up as and then said nope you have to be classified as "outlaw"..

My question is: Is it better to learn with my pistol setup within regulation, or just go with outlaw? I have a Elite Combat that's pretty much stock. should I shoot it for IDPA?

My Current Setup:
SFX Blackout
Stock Holster (pretty shitty, but I converted it to lefty and not sure which one to buy)
Holosun 507C GR
EC Mag well
Freedsomsmith Pro Trigger
Taylor Freelance Weighted Backstrap
Taylor Freelance Brass Mag Extensions
W74 Tungsten guide rod with 13LB spring (going to switch to 15LB)
Upgraded Striker spring
Stippled Grip

Thanks for your help!!
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Re: Outlaw vs. Regulation? Best Place to Start?

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:16 am

Which do you have more fun with? I run almost the same setup for USPSA Carry Optics (less the magwell) on my SFx. IDPA is very different rules and is designed for carry firearms. I don't shoot IDPA so I am no expert.

My opinion is shoot whichever firearm is fun in IDPA. Are you ever going to be rank or sponsored? Most of us here will never be (I know this every match I shoot). Maximize the level of fun.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TacoTyrant » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:06 pm

Good point LT. I’ll never be that serious with it. To me it’s more fun to do what I want with my gun.

What kind of holster do you like best? Right now I’m using the stock one that I conversed to lefty and it doesn’t lock in so it flops around a little too much.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:03 pm

I have a Cook's Holster competition. https://www.cooksholsters.com/competition-holster/ The knurled nobs I added from an eBay purchase. I like to tighten them when I'm not on the line and loosen them when i go up to the line.

1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TacoTyrant » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:20 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:03 pm
I have a Cook's Holster competition. https://www.cooksholsters.com/competition-holster/ The knurled nobs I added from an eBay purchase. I like to tighten them when I'm not on the line and loosen them when i go up to the line.

Nice!! Thanks for the link! I’m going to check them out and see it they know how to do all that for us wrong handed folks.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:48 am

IDPA and USPSA are two different animals. Each has different equipment requirements and how the stages are approached as well. Like @LT USN (Ret.) said, it depends on how serious you want to be involved with it. Up here, it's about a 50/50 split between IDPA and USPSA matches, so that's why I shoot both. At first it was a little difficult remembering "tactical priority" when shooting an IDPA stage, but that becomes second nature with time. As you stage plan, you just have to burn it into your head...near to far in the open, and slicing the pie from cover.

Equipment...a lot more restrictions in IDPA. Your current setup is illegal for IDPA. I ended up moving from the SFX to P320 X5 Legion to have a heavier gun that was IDPA legal. Having the knurled knobs on the holster is illegal also. There are a lot of IDPA shooters that don't like some of the stupid rules like having to run a mag empty to drop it. Personally I prefer Shooting USPSA. I like the freedom of shooting a stage the most efficient way that suits your ability.

I joined both IDPA and USPSA. In doing so your match scores are uploaded, and you'll be ranked. Personally I enjoy the challenge, and despite shooting as a "senior", I can still kick some young'n A$$! :lol:
2 x

TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TacoTyrant » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:31 am

@GlennSFX I actually got a penalty last weekend for dropping a mag that had ammo moving between cover so I wouldn’t run out at the next step.. I was like what the hell are you talkin bout??? To the SO... at my nearest range it’s steel and IDPA and I get to see my scores on practiscore which is cool, but I always screw up at least 1 stage big time per match...
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:23 pm

TacoTyrant wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:31 am
@GlennSFX I actually got a penalty last weekend for dropping a mag that had ammo moving between cover so I wouldn’t run out at the next step.. I was like what the hell are you talkin bout??? To the SO... at my nearest range it’s steel and IDPA and I get to see my scores on practiscore which is cool, but I always screw up at least 1 stage big time per match...
Yea...last month I had a stage where I didn't fire the "11th" round at the last target in the array as I planned to. Dropped an "empty" mag, and reload on the move without the slide being in battery. Should have gotten a "procedural", but the SO didn't pickup on it. Got lucky because it would have cost me the match!!! I won by less than around 1.5 sec, and that would have been a 3 sec hit. That is one "rule" that most IDPA shooters hate. If I can advance safely to a cover area, and reload on the move, why wouldn't I do it! STUPID to engage a number of threats with only 1 or 2 rounds in the gun!

Unfortunately, in the end, you have to know the rules and abide by them, or take the hits!!!! :lol:

There always seems to be one stage that messes with you!!! Have had plenty of those!!! ~X(
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:24 pm

TacoTyrant wrote:
got a penalty last weekend for dropping a mag that had ammo moving between cover so I wouldn’t run out at the next step
Dang! Think I'll stick with USPSA. I've dropped mags with plenty of ammo in them to get to the next position topped off.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:56 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:24 pm
TacoTyrant wrote:
got a penalty last weekend for dropping a mag that had ammo moving between cover so I wouldn’t run out at the next step
Dang! Think I'll stick with USPSA. I've dropped mags with plenty of ammo in them to get to the next position topped off.
YUP...That's why I prefer USPSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x

Jester560
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jester560 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:02 pm

The mag change rules in IDPA is why I now only shoot DCAPS. The rules more closely follow USPSA than it does IDPA especially when it comes to mag changes.
0 x
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TacoTyrant » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:45 am

I’ll have to find a local USPSA match to see the difference.

Anyone do 3 gun? How do y’all like it?
0 x

gunn
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by gunn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:10 am

TacoTyrant wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:15 am
Hello,

I've now shot in (2) IDPA comps and a few steel matches, and it's a ton of fun, and I learn a bunch with each one. That being said, there's a monthly IDPA locally and in the last match I signed up for CO (Carry Optic), but when the SO saw my pistol he asked what I signed up as and then said nope you have to be classified as "outlaw"..

My question is: Is it better to learn with my pistol setup within regulation, or just go with outlaw? I have a Elite Combat that's pretty much stock. should I shoot it for IDPA?

My Current Setup:
SFX Blackout
Stock Holster (pretty shitty, but I converted it to lefty and not sure which one to buy)
Holosun 507C GR
EC Mag well
Freedsomsmith Pro Trigger
Taylor Freelance Weighted Backstrap
Taylor Freelance Brass Mag Extensions
W74 Tungsten guide rod with 13LB spring (going to switch to 15LB)
Upgraded Striker spring
Stippled Grip

Thanks for your help!!
How did you convert it to left? I have tried to no sucess.
0 x
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
45 ACP, Because short fat and slow will get the job done.
Shoot, shovel, shut up.

TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TacoTyrant » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:47 pm

@gunn I saw a post / reply on here a while back. The little finger release doesn’t work but other than that it works.
dump1567 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:41 pm
TacoTyrant wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:01 am
dump1567 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:35 am
After looking at Canik Pistols a few times over the past few months, my local shop had one of these in stock. I had no idea it was a new release, as I really don't follow Canik and it's models. I really liked the feel and trigger, so I picked it up. I had also just picked-up an HK VP9 long slide upper (which I do not shoot well), and did a side by side shooting comparison. The Canik had less felt recoil & I shot it better than the HK. It really came down to the Canik's excellent trigger. The VP still wins out in grip feel.

As a lefty, I was even able to convert the right hand holster it came with to a friction fit only left side holster (although it looks reversible, it really isn't).

I was so impressed with the Canik, I'll probably go back to my local shop and purchase the TP9SF they had in stock for around $260.
what did you have to do to convert the holster to lefty??
You basically have to swap the belt attachment to the other side. There really is no easy way for me to explain it though. There are plastic tabs on each side that prevent the pieces from sliding up and out. Those need to be pried with a flat screw driver from the inside of the holster (towards the inside) to be able to slide thw belt attachment up and the thumb slide up and out. Make sure you also remove the small screw on the inside of the belt attach side. Even if you could swap the finger triggerguard release tab to the other side (there hinge pin installed), I don't think they would line-up right). see pics below for more details.

Here are the plastic tabs to be bent up on the inside of the holster so you can slide up and out each side.

This is how it will look when swapped. The small screw (which was originally on the inside of the holster), has been screwed in before putting on the belt attachment. It really doesn't screw into anything on the holster. You can also see how the finger release tab no longer fits into the trigger guard & sticks out (hence now just a friction fit holster).

Here's how the other side looks. This side serves no purpose. You can slide the finger piece up, but it does nothing. I did have to manipulate the spring back into it so it has spring tension.

I also went back and bought the other SF my shop had.
0 x