Need some advice on compatabile competition mag pouches for Tp9sfx

Discussion for Competition Shooting.
Shooter05

Need some advice on compatabile competition mag pouches for Tp9sfx

Post by Shooter05 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:19 am

I'm quickly becoming a Canik fanatic for sure! Very new to comp style shooting love the freestyle aspect and just started getting into USPSA with my Tp9sfx. Always been a Glock guy but love, love the Canik! Need some quick advice on compatabile race style mag pouches for the Tp9sfx. I do like the adjustability and ball joint set up on the Double Alphas but thats a little more than I want to shell out on my first set up. I already purchased, perhaps "made in China Amazon special" pouches very similar to the Double Alphas. However no matter how you switch the spacers it will not fit the mags - only will fit with bullets facing rear? Has anyone ever had any experience with these? Otherwise please chime in and suggest any other adjustable pouches you have had good experience with. I also am looking at holsters so any tips there would be helpful too. Trying to get everthing set up for a shoot later this month! Thanks in advance!
1 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Re: Need some advice on compatabile competition mag pouches for Tp9sfx

Post by Janik » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:34 am

I'm pretty new to competition and still getting my feet wet, so I'm not much help. I ordered some mag pouches from Smoky Mountain Concealment a short time ago so that's what I'm starting with. I went with the Comp 2.0 holster and then the three of the Multi-Mag 2.0 carriers. But people like @GlennSFX and @Weapon to name a couple have a lot of experience and can probably offer better advice. Here's a link to the page on SMC where I bought my stuff. I talked to Shane first with SMC and he was very helpful. https://smokymtnconcealment.com/collections/owb
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:12 pm

Welcome aboard the forum and welcome to competitive shooting.

Shootersconnection.com is a good starting place. But there are a ton of sites to get hints from. And of course, you can ask here too.

Belt: I use the CR Speed Ultra Belt. I added in basic Police suspenders to lift the weight off my bad back. Any good stiff 1.5" belt will work for the learning portion. KORE 3X belt is my wear every day and I started with it when I first started shooting USPSA.
Holster: Blade-tech SIGNATURE HOLSTER. Love it. Recommend getting a set of knurled ended thumb screws. When I go to the line I loosen them up for an easy draw. Out of the shooting box I tighten them up to prevent spillage. EBAY: (6) 8/32 x 3/4 INCH STAINLESS STEEL KNURLED THUMB SCREWS W/ FLARED SHOULDER !!!! I also added these to my mag pouches so as I switch between my SFX and the "gun not to be named" (M&P) I can adjust for the different mag sizes.

Hanger: I messed around with the Tec-Lok holster setup and then went to the BSPS BOSS DOH Holster Hanger; what a difference! Cleaner draws, my thump doesn't get in the way and a steadier rig. Tek-lok has it's uses but BOSS is, well, the BOSS. Tek-Lok is a great starter system to figure out if you want to make the investments with the BOSS hanger.

Mag pouches: I bought (4) Black Scorpion Gear Double Stack Competition Magazine Pouches in red & blue. I like to be colorful on the line. b-) Four is all I need and if I might use more, I always start with a spare or 2 in my back pocket. I used two Red-X double-mag holders tie-wrapped together as a starter set. Worked really good, but missing the "cool" factor.

Other than that, a good hat, plenty of sunscreen, and a chair. MUST.HAVE.CHAIR. If you have interest, I can tell you about all the "stuff" I haul around in my cart between the different stages. ⛱🛒💦🪑 :d
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

Shooter05

Post by Shooter05 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:31 pm

Janik and LT, thanks so much for chiming in with all the great info and experience. I've seen most of these brands and see advantages to both but still seem torn on plastic VS race style mag pouches? Janik.. Like the SMC stuff too. How is the fit, are you using an SFX? LT, yes I'm with you on the thumb screws, Boss hanger and chair!! Thanks guys! A
1 x

Canik4Life4Sure

Post by Canik4Life4Sure » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi, well I do steel challenge pistol shooting every month and I use a belt and mag holsters from black scorpion you can get them from many places including shootersconnection.com and blackscorpion website they work great and I love them! Check it out. Take care hope this helps :-D
0 x
Keep on Shooting! **== \M/

Canik4Life4Sure

Post by Canik4Life4Sure » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Anything else feel free to ask
0 x

Shooter05

Post by Shooter05 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:37 pm

Thanks, yes the black scorpions may end replacing these other double Alpha knock offs I bought. How is the adjustability and how close is the mount to the belt?
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:41 am

As others have mentioned, the Black Scorpion Comp mag pouches are very nice. They have plenty of adjustment and the mags can be positioned they way you like them.

For a holster I initially started with the SMC and still use it for the few IDPA matches I shoot, but my USPSA holster is a Red Hill Tactical. The holsters are double kydex and really stiff. The way they're molded, your trigger finger positions and slides nicely on the draw.

https://www.redhilltactical.com/Canik-C ... _p_78.html

Any good 1.5" belt will do. As @LT USN (Ret.) mentioned, the BOSS hanger is the way to go.
2 x

Sandpaper

Post by Sandpaper » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:44 pm

I use modified canvas magazine pouches for competition and they are exceptional.
0 x
How do I delete my profile?

Canik4Life4Sure

Post by Canik4Life4Sure » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:20 pm

The adjustability is pretty great I am very happy with them they are built well reliable and are very inexpensive you won’t be disappointed https://ibb.co/JxdqTCn
2 x

Canik4Life4Sure

Post by Canik4Life4Sure » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:25 pm

2 x

Canik4Life4Sure

Post by Canik4Life4Sure » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:38 pm

2 x

Canik4Life4Sure

Post by Canik4Life4Sure » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:51 pm

1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:23 pm

Good stuff!
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

Weapon
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 005

Post by Weapon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:45 am

My belt is a somewhat modified black scorpion (3-gun style ratchet buckle and strap) with a DIY kydex holster body on a drop and offset mount that is about like a Ben Stoeger boss hanger. My mag pouches for CO are Black Scorpion and Black Scorpion eBay clones ($7.80 each if you buy three...lol) which work just as well but they were dirt cheap. I added piece of skateboard tape in the rotating mechanism on the mag pouches to make them lock in place when tightened and then used loctite blue on the screws.

If I had to do it over, I’d probably just get the shooter’s connection belt for $40 and eBay clone mag pouches (four of them = $30.60 shipped)
1 x