Hot Day Match with SFX and Red Dot!

Discussion for Competition Shooting.
oldfrank

Hot Day Match with SFX and Red Dot!

Post by oldfrank » Mon May 27, 2019 12:20 pm

First let me get all the excuses out of the way!
It was over 95 Degrees out on match day! I spent 4 1/2 hours in the heat the day before setting up the match, carrying steel, driving rebar etc!
I also worked the match as an SO and shooting it also! I am twice as old as many of my competitors! :-D

That's all the excuses I can think of. The SFX ran perfectly as always. I need more range and dryfire time getting the dot on target especially when they are moving in and out from behind a barrel.
I finished 7/13 in my Division and had no major mishaps. I shot no good guys, missed no targets and got no pocedural penalties. I was just a little slow.
It was truly hot as blazes, they handed out cooling towels to all the SO's before the match and we dipped them in an ice chest and I put it on my head under my hat. I was not a fashion statement but I survived and helped put everything away after the match too!
I watched a yound, very fast shooter with a dot on my squad and I learned from him and asked him a few question. He keeps his gun and dot up all the time and pivots around like a tank on treads. I tend to lower my gun between target arrays.
I know more trigger/dot time will be a help for me anmd I plan to do that!
3 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Re: Hot Day Match with SFX and Red Dot!

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon May 27, 2019 12:44 pm

And a good time was had by all!

I gave up caring what place I come in. It's just me against me; and that stupid clock.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

oldfrank

Post by oldfrank » Mon May 27, 2019 12:58 pm

I just like beating the yound operators!
0 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Mon May 27, 2019 3:50 pm

Frank where was match?
0 x

oldfrank

Post by oldfrank » Mon May 27, 2019 4:07 pm

South River Gun Club Covington, Georgia
0 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Mon May 27, 2019 4:29 pm

I am in Texas we are not that hot here yet! Our last match was a rain out. They if we had done what a few wished to and start early it would been dry the powers that be said no
0 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Mon May 27, 2019 4:32 pm

I used to win and had my times but now older and in the middle every time except the rare times we have a shotgun stage which I love and do very well on, thanks! Frank
0 x

oldfrank

Post by oldfrank » Mon May 27, 2019 6:18 pm

OUr normal high should be 83 right now. Unusually hot this time of year. First five matches last year we either set up or shot in the rain or both. Not Thunderstorms but some pretty good rain. We shoot hot or cold, rain or shine!
0 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Mon May 27, 2019 7:46 pm

Frank we used to but Roy our starter passed suddenly and the new bunch is not like that, I shot my 1st classifier in the rain with a squad of 1 ONE ME! rest watched, shot mid expert with my SIG 226. One reality I learned the hard way the older you get the harder it to come back after a layoff! You know what to do but the rest don't co operate!
1 x

Retiredtrooper
Founding Member #: 3871

Post by Retiredtrooper » Mon May 27, 2019 9:23 pm

I was discussing this with another "super senior" at our last shoot. 40 years ago it was about winning. Now.....it's just about having fun. Crazy shooting positions?......still easy to get into...but impossible to get out of...at least with any speed. I also suffer from bouts of hand tremors. Try shooting a red dot sight if those are in full gear. It's like trying to follow the bouncing ball, but I still manage to finish middle of the pack nearly every time. I've learned to accept that....unfortunately my ego hasn't. :)
0 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Mon May 27, 2019 10:08 pm

I am going back to my iron sights for next match
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Tue May 28, 2019 8:45 am

Retiredtrooper wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:23 pm
...but impossible to get out of...
LOL!

Truer words were never spoken. Basically why I won't even attempt these competitions, knees are shot and I might never get out of them!...
0 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Tue May 28, 2019 10:16 am

I have pushed a friend in a wheel chair several times in a match he just loves the companionship and shooting and the most accurate, one time our resident know it all complained that I was assisting him by pushing, that did not go over well with anyone. I will shoot till I cant! Last year our championship match was 3 gun as it should be and 1911 friendly, hope it will be also next month as I would shoot my 1911 for sure. Just which one?
Just do it for enjoyment now and much more enjoyable, I had my winning run in the past. One time we had a squad of big bore all revolvers using 41-44-45 cal full house loads and loved it. Did a night match indoors with my duty/carry 357 SIG with full loads also which really was an eye opener to all.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue May 28, 2019 10:48 am

Retiredtrooper wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:23 pm
Crazy shooting positions?......still easy to get into...but impossible to get out of...at least with any speed.
Had to start a string sitting in a chair, firearm loaded, hands on head. Of course it was one of the those little-little folding chairs. I'm 6'4" with a fake knee and the other one sucks and, a REALLY bad back. My time split out of the chair was not my best needless to say. It was also my worst run of the day hit-factor wise.

I think it's "broken old-fart discrimination". [-X
2 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

oldfrank

Post by oldfrank » Tue May 28, 2019 1:56 pm

Yes, I know the way age catches up to us. One stage we shot from th passenger seat of a small BMW. Five Static targets to the right from the passenger window and then a hard turn left for five more targets and two were up and down behind barrels. Luckily head shots were available after the targets cycled three times. It hurt getting in,getting out and turning to shoot. It really hurt when the brass from my last shot went up the leg of my shorts! I thought a wasp had got me.
Another stage had us sitting in the drivers seat of an old lincoln. Static targets to the right with both feet in the car, then to the left about 25 yards away was two more static targets and a plate rack, a plate rack you could either shoot from the car seat with one foot out of the car or on the move to some barrels that were closer to the plate rack. I think I broke something trying to get out of the car in a hurry!
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue May 28, 2019 2:31 pm

oldfrank wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:56 pm
I think I broke something trying to get out of the car in a hurry!
That's not good.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

oldfrank

Post by oldfrank » Tue May 28, 2019 2:36 pm

Not really broke. Amazingly at 72 1/2 I have never broken a bone, never been in a hospital for anything other than routine and never really been sick so even with my whining I know I am blessed.
My Chiropractor keeps my back relatively pain free as I have a couple of bad disks from thirty five years of crawling in and out of airplanes and lifting stuff not meant to be lifted!
1 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Tue May 28, 2019 3:03 pm

Frank and LT we got lots in common, very lot!!

Sounds like the matches I used to set up when I did that for 2 yrs, quit due to lack of help!
0 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Wed May 29, 2019 10:29 pm

tn.JPG
tn.JPG (81.92 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
did not get to shoot this afternoon here!!
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Thu May 30, 2019 5:27 am

While you've been dealing with the heat, we in the northeast can't get out of the 50s/60s! Seems like we've had rain and clouds most of the last two months!! In April alone we had 21 days of rain!!! :sad:

Fortunately we're lucky to not have to deal with the twisters. Hurricanes are one thing, but tornadoes are another!!!
Thoughts and prayers to all affected!!! :YMPRAY:
0 x