Canik-Gear-Banner2 W74-Guiderods4 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
Discussion for Competition Shooting.
I've been shooting USPSA since 2010, and IDPA since 2012. I'm the current president of the El Paso IDPA and Multigun, and have been in club leadership since 2014. I hold the rank of Master in USPSA (for PCC) and Expert in IDPA (SSP/ESP). I also shoot Multigun extensively. I'm getting to the point where I'm traveling 4-5 times a year for big matches, and brought home 4 plaques in 2018.

I took a bit of a break from the forums after they went down a couple months ago, but I'm back now. I've written a couple guides here in the competitive shooting forum (I need to go back and fix the images though) and will probably be writing a PCC guide this month or next.
I've been invited to shoot in a USPSA event 28 JAN. I'll be going with a friend and his boys who will shoot also. So, we'll see how it goes.

We're going to get together and go over firearm requirements & restrictions. Going over the rules it sounds like my M&P 9mm full-size will be good for the first time.
LT USN (Ret.) wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:39 am I've been invited to shoot in a USPSA event 28 JAN. I'll be going with a friend and his boys who will shoot also. So, we'll see how it goes.

We're going to get together and go over firearm requirements & restrictions. Going over the rules it sounds like my M&P 9mm full-size will be good for the first time.
That's awesome! As I'm just getting into competition shooting, I'm taking it slow and easy, just focusing on learning the rules and have been practicing at home drawing and getting on target with my laser trainer.

Keep us posted how it goes.
I have been shooting IPSC with a Canik SFx for a bit, trouble is the SFx lands you in Standard Minor so your a little outgunned. I have a Combat Elite en route now so I will be hopping back into Production now! I am excited to get that one rocking and rolling.
I am a new shooter, but recently started looking into shooting some local competitions. The one problem I see is my gun (TP9DA) isn’t on the production approved list. What class would this put me in if I went to a USPSA competition?

Next month the two local ranges have some fun type competitions, indoor steel shoot and indoor live action shoot, I am going to go to to get a feel for it. I’m sure I am no where near good enough to be competitive, but want to give it a good try and see how I progress.
HeliarcLee wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:07 pm I am a new shooter, but recently started looking into shooting some local competitions. The one problem I see is my gun (TP9DA) isn’t on the production approved list. What class would this put me in if I went to a USPSA competition?

Next month the two local ranges have some fun type competitions, indoor steel shoot and indoor live action shoot, I am going to go to to get a feel for it. I’m sure I am no where near good enough to be competitive, but want to give it a good try and see how I progress.
First off, it sounds like the matches you'd be shooting are a "Level 1" tier match. I've never seen anyone question if a gun was on the approved list. Second, the approved list states that "All models are approved" as long as you're not using the cocking level for Carry Optics and Production.
I shot a Level II sectional match in NC this past March and the only thing that was check was the bullet Power Factor at the Chrono. A Level III might have a higher level of "equipment inspection", haven't been to one yet.

I'd just plan on competing in production and have a good time!!!
GlennSFX wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:23 pm
HeliarcLee wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:07 pm I am a new shooter, but recently started looking into shooting some local competitions. The one problem I see is my gun (TP9DA) isn’t on the production approved list. What class would this put me in if I went to a USPSA competition?

First off, it sounds like the matches you'd be shooting are a "Level 1" tier match. I've never seen anyone question if a gun was on the approved list. Second, the approved list states that "All models are approved" as long as you're not using the cocking level for Carry Optics and Production.
I shot a Level II sectional match in NC this past March and the only thing that was check was the bullet Power Factor at the Chrono. A Level III might have a higher level of "equipment inspection", haven't been to one yet.

I'd just plan on competing in production and have a good time!!!
I was confused by the wording on the second part where it says all models approved when it started talking about a cocking lever. That would be great if I can use it for production, even if I was to get get thrown in with limited I am not too worried about it.
HeliarcLee wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:30 pm I was confused by the wording on the second part where it says all models approved when it started talking about a cocking lever.
The cocking lever they're referring to is on the SFx. If you use it, you'd be shooting in "Open". You should be good to go in production! HAVE FUN!!!
You would be able to shoot Limited with a cocking lever, just not Production or Carry Optics.

I've never seen anyone question a generic 9mm double stack at a level 1 or 2 match. The well known non-production legal guns are few and far between. If you're not shooting a Glock 17L you should fly below the radar.
I've been shooting uspsa for almost two years just local tier 1 matches. Started in production with my Shadow 2 then after two months have been shooting PCC ever since. Getting ready to try CO and some multi gun action with my SFx hopefully by the fall.
Just got started as well. Picked up the SFX earlier this year and managed to get into one match last month shooting production. Had a great time. Added a vortex viper micro dot since that last match. Had enough enough time to zero and test some better loads but haven't been able to connect on a match since switching to carry optics. Loving this dot though. Really lets you pay attention to alignment and trigger control. Actually really helps see what you are doing in dry fire as well. You can follow that do all the way through trigger pull and work to keep things smooth through the entire motion.
I have been all my life and in the Army also still do so when I can every month, of all matches my favorites were the Military Duel matches and shotgun steel matches, in my past I was good enough to be in the top classes but was not competitive in them, surely not now being older. I have shot many years in IDPA but got away from that due to stupid rules, many friends have also. ISPC was great and the personal protection matches. Also shot 3 gun. Best match I ever attended was in Kentucky a 2 night 1 day 500 round 3 gun match, by far the very best ever. Everyone won just by going it was such a good time. 200-200-100 rounds all natural terrain. All shooters got door prizes. Mostly all steel, had to fall to count. Allowed 200 rounds for each night 100 for day on person you choose ammo load out.
Fri PM, pistol carbine-----Sat PM pistol shotgun---------Sunday AM shotgun carbine you chose ammo load on person for each gun. Walk through before dark then eat steak you brought they cooked it. Then shoot. Had to carry backup light and batteries no weapon mounted as some did not have one, fair to all, if every shooter had one ok for all was rule but they did not. You chose weapon to engage target with, rules be safe & solve problem. Drop a weapon it is gone from match use. Any running a DQ,, 1 warning only, NONE! All normal walking only. No reloads. Trail clearly marked when you crossed the yellow tape you could engage targets. You were given a list of recommended item to carry when you applied to enter. A timer and 2 safety officials each shooter, they picked up your mags also for you.
Sunday after the 100 round match we had a special bonus match, 5 plates at 50 yds, handgun 1 second off for each hit, 10 seconds for all 5 with 5 rounds only, you hit them you set them back up rule. So all only had to reset 1 time. Had to shoot standing under shade tree was it.
Why I stopped shooting several matches were the rules and we changed to a personal protection match kind of an outlaw match we called it at 1 time, so much better and relaxed feeling.

I am inviting any here to come shoot with me as my guest on 3rd Sat, anyone up to it say so Dallas east area. Usually non member $15--- 125+ rounds, cant June as championship for year match a 2 gun. No cover garment needed as it gets hot here! Up to you there. Also we may start early July Aug Sept due to heat.
Hello to everyone

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. JG

Hows the glass on the Swampfox? I've been seeing[…]

Our largest LGS usually has ammo, but at the highe[…]

Hello from MD

Welcome to the site!