Steel Competition

Discussion for Competition Shooting.
Post Reply
TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:53 am
Location: Hondo Texas

Steel Competition

Post by TacoTyrant » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:33 pm

So I shot my first IDPA ish competition last weekend and it looks like there’s a steel comp this week at the same place!! I’m hoping my wife will let me out for a second week in a row to try out a steel comp!! SCSA Steel Challenge Shooting Association. If I do I’m tempted to switch my RDS back to vortex viper from holosun because the dot was a Lil big for me on the holosun and I’m just not use to it yet.. fingers crossed!!
1 x

User avatar
zeda3000
Member
Posts: 535
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:42 am
Location: Turkey

Re: Steel Competition

Post by zeda3000 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:58 pm

Good luck
1 x

User avatar
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Posts: 2112
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am
Founding Member #: 7599
Location: Louisiana

Re: Steel Competition

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:25 pm

Which Holosun model do you have?
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:53 am
Location: Hondo Texas

Re: Steel Competition

Post by TacoTyrant » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:15 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:25 pm
Which Holosun model do you have?
It’s a 507C
0 x

User avatar
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Posts: 2112
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am
Founding Member #: 7599
Location: Louisiana

Re: Steel Competition

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:43 pm

The 32 mil circle will fit perfectly around an 8" steel plate at 24 yards. Out to that distance, big circle on steel, pull trigger, steel goes clang.

It's hard to convince your mind it's that simple but it is. 2 mil dot is only really needed at distance and precision shots when need, which in a steel match, not so much.

If the steel match is an official Steel Challenge, and the range is deep enough, there could be targets out to 105'. The dot only covers <1" of target at that distance if I did the math right.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:53 am
Location: Hondo Texas

Re: Steel Competition

Post by TacoTyrant » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:29 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:43 pm
The 32 mil circle will fit perfectly around an 8" steel plate at 24 yards. Out to that distance, big circle on steel, pull trigger, steel goes clang.

It's hard to convince your mind it's that simple but it is. 2 mil dot is only really needed at distance and precision shots when need, which in a steel match, not so much.

If the steel match is an official Steel Challenge, and the range is deep enough, there could be targets out to 105'. The dot only covers <1" of target at that distance if I did the math right.
I think that big ass circle is what was screwing me up though. Couldn’t see the dot in the middle on the target quick enough.. is my feeling at least..
0 x

User avatar
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Posts: 2112
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am
Founding Member #: 7599
Location: Louisiana

Re: Steel Competition

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:35 pm

TacoTyrant wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:29 pm
I think that big ass circle is what was screwing me up though. Couldn’t see the dot in the middle on the target quick enough.. is my feeling at least..
Practice, practice, practice. :d

Plus you know, you can set it to circle or dot only. Go to dot only mode and you can at least have the same profile of the physical optic as you do now. Just a thought.

Is it set bright enough to see the dot?
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:53 am
Location: Hondo Texas

Re: Steel Competition

Post by TacoTyrant » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:04 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:35 pm
TacoTyrant wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:29 pm
I think that big ass circle is what was screwing me up though. Couldn’t see the dot in the middle on the target quick enough.. is my feeling at least..
Practice, practice, practice. :d

Plus you know, you can set it to circle or dot only. Go to dot only mode and you can at least have the same profile of the physical optic as you do now. Just a thought.

Is it set bright enough to see the dot?
Well sh*t.. I didn’t know I could change the setting to show only the dot.. I guess I shoulda read the manual.
0 x

TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:53 am
Location: Hondo Texas

Re: Steel Competition

Post by TacoTyrant » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:35 pm
TacoTyrant wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:29 pm
I think that big ass circle is what was screwing me up though. Couldn’t see the dot in the middle on the target quick enough.. is my feeling at least..
Practice, practice, practice. :d

Plus you know, you can set it to circle or dot only. Go to dot only mode and you can at least have the same profile of the physical optic as you do now. Just a thought.

Is it set bright enough to see the dot?
So how do you set it to a dot? Can’t find my manual and no luck online yet...
0 x

TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:53 am
Location: Hondo Texas

Re: Steel Competition

Post by TacoTyrant » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:23 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:35 pm
TacoTyrant wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:29 pm
I think that big ass circle is what was screwing me up though. Couldn’t see the dot in the middle on the target quick enough.. is my feeling at least..
Practice, practice, practice. :d

Plus you know, you can set it to circle or dot only. Go to dot only mode and you can at least have the same profile of the physical optic as you do now. Just a thought.

Is it set bright enough to see the dot?
Figured it out gotta hold the - down 3 seconds :-BD
1 x

User avatar
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Posts: 2112
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am
Founding Member #: 7599
Location: Louisiana

Re: Steel Competition

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:47 am

"You're my boy, Blue!"
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

Post Reply