Steel Competition

Discussion for Competition Shooting.
TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Steel Competition

Post by TacoTyrant » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:33 pm

So I shot my first IDPA ish competition last weekend and it looks like there’s a steel comp this week at the same place!! I’m hoping my wife will let me out for a second week in a row to try out a steel comp!! SCSA Steel Challenge Shooting Association. If I do I’m tempted to switch my RDS back to vortex viper from holosun because the dot was a Lil big for me on the holosun and I’m just not use to it yet.. fingers crossed!!
1 x

zeda3000

Re: Steel Competition

Post by zeda3000 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:58 pm

Good luck
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:25 pm

Which Holosun model do you have?
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage Image

TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TacoTyrant » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:15 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:25 pm
Which Holosun model do you have?
It’s a 507C
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:43 pm

The 32 mil circle will fit perfectly around an 8" steel plate at 24 yards. Out to that distance, big circle on steel, pull trigger, steel goes clang.

It's hard to convince your mind it's that simple but it is. 2 mil dot is only really needed at distance and precision shots when need, which in a steel match, not so much.

If the steel match is an official Steel Challenge, and the range is deep enough, there could be targets out to 105'. The dot only covers <1" of target at that distance if I did the math right.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage Image

TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TacoTyrant » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:29 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:43 pm
The 32 mil circle will fit perfectly around an 8" steel plate at 24 yards. Out to that distance, big circle on steel, pull trigger, steel goes clang.

It's hard to convince your mind it's that simple but it is. 2 mil dot is only really needed at distance and precision shots when need, which in a steel match, not so much.

If the steel match is an official Steel Challenge, and the range is deep enough, there could be targets out to 105'. The dot only covers <1" of target at that distance if I did the math right.
I think that big ass circle is what was screwing me up though. Couldn’t see the dot in the middle on the target quick enough.. is my feeling at least..
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:35 pm

TacoTyrant wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:29 pm
I think that big ass circle is what was screwing me up though. Couldn’t see the dot in the middle on the target quick enough.. is my feeling at least..
Practice, practice, practice. :d

Plus you know, you can set it to circle or dot only. Go to dot only mode and you can at least have the same profile of the physical optic as you do now. Just a thought.

Is it set bright enough to see the dot?
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage Image

TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TacoTyrant » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:04 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:35 pm
TacoTyrant wrote:

Plus you know, you can set it to circle or dot only. Go to dot only mode and you can at least have the same profile of the physical optic as you do now. Just a thought.

Well sh*t.. I didn’t know I could change the setting to show only the dot.. I guess I shoulda read the manual.
0 x

TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TacoTyrant » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
TacoTyrant wrote:

So how do you set it to a dot? Can’t find my manual and no luck online yet...
0 x

TacoTyrant
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TacoTyrant » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:23 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
TacoTyrant wrote:

Figured it out gotta hold the - down 3 seconds :-BD
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:47 am

"You're my boy, Blue!"
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage Image

Stocky3

Post by Stocky3 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:08 am

What moa is your vortex? I'm looking into which one to get and I'm liking both the venom and 507c. I'm leaning towards the vortex for the 6 moa dot, but the dot circle sounds interesting.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:33 am

Take a look at the Swampfox Kingslayer. It comes with a green 65 MOA-2 MOA circle dot. Battery tray is on the side. I mounted and shot it the other day and the green is really easy to see. Laser alignment was all I needed and it was spot on after that.

If you are a vet they have a really nice military discount and will combine it with sale prices. They also have great warranties. www.swampfoxoptics.com

I will be doing a Kingslayer review here in the next couple of days. I also own a Swampfox Tomahawk LPVO Riflescope (Magnification Range: 1-4x24, Select Reticle: Guerrilla Cross MOA). Really nice scope for an AR.

Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in Swampfox, I just like their products.

Image Image
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage Image

tucker03

Post by tucker03 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:55 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:43 pm
Taco,
What LT said for sure. That reticle is the ticket for steel, whether it be Steel Challenge or poppers for USPSA paper. On the poppers, just think of a round plate with extra steel on it. Put your reticle on the circle and pull the trigger. You will also see just how well you have sighted in your Holosun. I shot steel for months with just the dot with my H507C green. As a newby, I asked around, "Hey, what do you use for Steel"? They all said, "Use the dot!" man. And my eyes suck! The dot sucked. Target aquistion was just plain horrible. It was just recently that I put two and two together: 99% of those guys I asked, only have a 'dot', not knowing Holosun has that reticle option etc.. Lo and behold, switched to the reticle, I shot like a new man! It did take a little transitional practice, but, wow. I have a new love for Holosun. If you have a stage where there are short and long targets, switch your option to reticle/dot. Shoot the close targets with the reticle (kinda ingoring the dot). The longer targets, same option, but focus on the dot. See how that goes.
2 x