TP9SFX Mag Release Button IDPA SSP

Discussion for Competition Shooting.
Sharper2112

TP9SFX Mag Release Button IDPA SSP

Post by Sharper2112 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:46 pm

I have a TP9SFX that I’ve put about 750 rounds through that I’ll be shooting in a couple of sanctioned IDPA matches coming up soon. I’ve signed up for SSP division but now I’m wondering if even the smallest mag release button will be legal. The rules say it can’t protrude more than .2 inches from the frame; by my measurements even the smallest button protrudes further than that no matter where I measure from. If anyone has a definitive answer on that let me know; otherwise I guess I’ll just remove the extended button completely.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Re: TP9SFX Mag Release Button IDPA SSP

Post by Janik » Thu May 16, 2019 7:59 pm

Good question. Not sure who all shoots SSP, but someone like @GlennSFX or @Weapon may know.
1 x

BentAero

Post by BentAero » Thu May 16, 2019 11:25 pm

8.2.1.2-C should get you by. Sadly, many IDPA rules are poorly written and are open to multiple interpretations.
8.2.1.3-B specifically excludes aftermarket mag releases, but if you use the short version it shouldn't be an issue.
Further, unless you smoke everybody, no one is going to care.
If you're forced to, you could remove the replaceable release button and just run without it.. Not ideal, but not impossible either.

FYI, the +2 magazine extensions that come stock on the SFx mags are NOT allowed. The gun won't "fit in the box". You have to use 18 round max mags to fit in the box.

These issues combined with a few others has led me to only shoot USPSA (practical and steel challenge) in sanctioned events.
0 x

Sharper2112

Post by Sharper2112 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:31 am

BentAero wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:25 pm
8.2.1.2-C should get you by. Sadly, many IDPA rules are poorly written and are open to multiple interpretations.
8.2.1.3-B specifically excludes aftermarket mag releases, but if you use the short version it shouldn't be an issue.
Further, unless you smoke everybody, no one is going to care.
If you're forced to, you could remove the replaceable release button and just run without it.. Not ideal, but not impossible either.

FYI, the +2 magazine extensions that come stock on the SFx mags are NOT allowed. The gun won't "fit in the box". You have to use 18 round max mags to fit in the box.

These issues combined with a few others has led me to only shoot USPSA (practical and steel challenge) in sanctioned events.
Thanks!
0 x

Weapon
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 005

Post by Weapon » Sat May 18, 2019 2:30 am

Another option might be to get a standard mag release from Century Arms:
https://www.centuryarms.com/patp004.html
1 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Tue May 28, 2019 10:30 pm

EXACTLY why so many of us quit IDPA, After my 1st IPSC match I never went back all due to some stupid rules, our club as a whole dropped it totally it is created for 1 thing cash, when it started it was much better, just my views only here stated. The reload rules go against so much we were taught at work and in the service, yes at 1 time I was a big IDPA supporter. I saw more gamers in IDPA than any other shooting sport. From shooting what you carry as it started to now a JOKE.
0 x

K80clay

Post by K80clay » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:18 pm

Shoot ESP. No difference in a NV SSP shooter and a NV (or MM or SS) ESP shooter.
0 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:53 pm

One reason I quit IDPA, years back I shot 3 matches a week sometimes if possible, in a N Texas club we had a stage with reload retention the shooter put the mag in his POCKET on front we all saw that in his front pocket going to the barricade after 2 movements later there was a nail head protruding which he hung his pocket on ripping it open going to the last firing point the local range idiot picker (will not use our word here) not sure if allowed saw all contents spill on the ground he gave him a procedural for dropped mag the entire squad protested to director and stopped shooting the director upheld the ruling, all just walked away ALL there! Every entrant. Worse call I ever saw made, no common sense used at all, just so happened the shooter would have won without the penalty. He was not in the clique there, plus the stupid other reload rules, I cant say enough. I know of 2 maybe there that day that may still shoot IDPA. The original shoot what you carry is a joke now.
0 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 am

How far is the Glock 34 release button protrude out?
There are many BETTER matches now days than IDPA and yes I used to really support them a lot, more gamers in IDPA than any other shooting sport I have ever seen
0 x

Canik4Life4Sure

Post by Canik4Life4Sure » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:10 am

I would recommend buying a replacement or use one of the other buttons if you wish and take a dremill and shave it done if you have to have it, if not then like you said just remove it and roll with out it as long as you can release your mags when needed if you shave one down at least there will be something there to make releasing the mags a little easier and then just practice with it and you'll be fine. Good luck!
0 x
Keep on Shooting! **== \M/

Dmatzinger

Post by Dmatzinger » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:54 am

Uspsa carry optics
Can you modify mag release?
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:14 am

From USPSA rule book dated JAN 2019:

APPENDIX D7 – Carry Optics Division
21.6 Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components
• Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage