Brand New TP9DA Problems

Having and issue with your Canik Firearm? Post your problem here for other members to assist with finding a resolution.
KanikMann

Brand New TP9DA Problems

Post by KanikMann » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Wanted a TP9 double action for a long time and finally got one last month.
Just got back from the range shooting the Canik for the first time and I'm quite disappointed. Out of 200 rounds every magazine had at least 2-3 FTE or FTF. I'm only shooting 115gr which works fine for all my other guns. I even had polished the feed ramp to a mirror finish.
Never has one of my new guns performed so badly out of the box. I understand some of the models had a very stiff spring so I checked the box when I got home and the gun was made in May 2017.
Who should I contact Canik USA or Century Arms to see if they still will replace the spring. Any help is greatly appreciated.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Re: Brand New TP9DA Problems

Post by TL1000RSquid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:28 pm

Century, my Elite was same when new hated WWB 115gr and Federal 115 bulk, multiple FTE's per mag. After a few hundred rounds of 124gr NATO and some hotter 115gr it began to run everything fine.
0 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:56 pm

I have 2....and never had this issue.
My first question would be what ammo did you use?
2nd- did you try a different ammo?

I would look at the claw on the extractor to see if it has broken off, if not shoot several different brands of ammo.

I did have issues with my Elite.....several fail to fires, but no feed issues. I sent it in for a repair.....been flawless since.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:05 pm

Others have experienced the same issue. As TL said, run some hotter 124 NATO through it. I have a SFx, SF Elite and Elite Combat and fortunately for me, all run perfectly out of the box with 115g ammo. I had a few cases of Aguila 115 FMJ which has a muzzle velocity of 1200 ft/sec and used it in all three guns. I've put a number of other 115g brands I have through them without any issues. I did replace a few springs and trigger in the SFx after around 800 rounds, no issues with some low velocity subsonic I just tried.

Just give it a little time with some hotter ammo and I'm sure you'll be fine.

On a side note...

Only issue I've experienced was with some 115g Federal Champion FMJ my brother had in NC. Flew down for Thanksgiving with the Combat. I also ordered and sent down a case of 115g Lawman. Shot a bunch (700 rounds) with my son (Glock 19/17) and my Combat without any issue. Went to the range another day with my wife, daughter, brother, and his wife, with the balance of the Lawman and case of Federal. ZERO issue for anyone with the Lawman in four different guns, G19, Combat, a new SFx, and Walther PPS M2. The Federal...that's when the you know what hit the fan. Type 2 malfunctions with ALL the guns. Type 3 in the PPS. Stuff was junk!!!
0 x

KanikMann

Post by KanikMann » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:34 pm

I'm using Freedoom 115 gr New. Don't have anything else right now. The extractor looks OK. Like I said I never had to go though all those special requirements for my other guns.
Thank you for all the help. Does Walmart have Nato spec ammo?
0 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:38 pm

I've shot Freedom in the past in some of my 9's. It did okay, vel is 1120fps according to their site. The 380 did not work well in my Bersa's.
I have not shot it in my Caniks.

Fiocchi is pretty warm, as it Speer lawman, S&B, Ruag, and Geco.....all at least 1200 fps for 115 gr.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:07 pm

Walmarts seem to vary regionally on what they stock, most have 115gr winchester and federal, mine stopped carrying perfecta like a year ago while others still find it in theres, I do believe I've scored Winchester NATO on a couple occasions there.

I've had issues with Freedom in 9mm and .380 FTE and stovepiping, with both there flat nose and XTP loads.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:57 pm

I've had lots of problems with Freedom Munitions in multiple guns due to the ammo being weak. I'd run some decent ammo before I blaming the gun. The RSA in the DA's I own is very stiff, and a couple boxes of decent ammo such as NATO or 124gr Speer Lawman seem to loosen things up nicely. After I run a couple boxes of quality ammo, I have no issues feeding them anything. But again, I've had a lot of issues with Freedom Munitions 115gr and won't waste my money on their ammo again.

As for NATO ammo, Walmart does on occasion carry it. Otherwise, I buy it by the case from Palmetto State Armory for $180 shipped. Keep us posted on how things progress for you. There definitely could be a problem with the gun, but I'd eliminate the ammo factor first.
0 x

KanikMann

Post by KanikMann » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:44 pm

I checked the manual for any ammo recommendation but it only says "load appropriate ammo", with no mention of what that mightbe.
If the gun is so ammo sensitive the manufacturer should put out some guidelines.
0 x

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:03 pm

Here in NE Texas, it's pretty easy to find 9mm NATO at local Wal Mart stores. About $27/150rd WWB bulk pack. My SFx performed worse than yours when new, but after a couple of boxes of the NATO-spec ammo, it runs great. It shoots the 115 gr. WWB now, with no issues.
0 x
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik!

isldtime

Post by isldtime » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:36 pm

My SFx was much worse than yours but I suspected it. First mag of 115gr. CCI Blazer Brass resulted in 20 stove pipes or FTE.
Second mag was 124 gr.CCI that functioned perfectly. Third mag was back to the 115 and 8 FTE.
Quick call and an email to Century and the reduced power recoil assy. shows up at my door a few days later.
Went out back to my little range today and all 20 rounds functioned like a charm.
Century Arms was great to work with!
0 x

johnh
Founding Member #: 1978

Post by johnh » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:21 pm

KanikMann wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:34 pm
Does Walmart have Nato spec ammo?
https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory ... =683589314

just type in your zip to see if any stores near you have it in stock
0 x

jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:54 am

I'm getting ready to take my new SF to the range (when I get time).
As always, I have the mags loaded with Winchester White Box 124 grain NATO. The slide is locked back untill range day.

Is this necessary? On some guns yes, others will work OK with standard 115 grain from the start.
But, that's my routine with a new gun, and it saves me a lot of frustration.

Not to hurt any feelings. But you paid good money for your pistol. Feed it a proper diet.
Don't expect your new Ferrari (or even Vette) to run on the standard gas at Bubba's.
If SHTF happens, I have a stock Glock 19 tested on the cheapest Russian steel and Gun Show reloads.
0 x

isldtime

Post by isldtime » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 pm

I wanted to use the 115 gr. for several reasons. When I picked my new SFx up I also picked up 50 rounds of 115 and 50 of 124 for the test.
After I ran the first mag of 115gr. that was FUBR and the second with 124 that was flawless I knew I needed to contact Century.
First mag of 115gr. with the reduced power recoil assy. was perfect! they sent me the part N/C.
Good Job CENTURY!!
0 x