Century arms mag quality issue?!

Having and issue with your Canik Firearm? Post your problem here for other members to assist with finding a resolution.
Pmaschke

Century arms mag quality issue?!

Post by Pmaschke » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:56 pm

Hello,
Just got a new TP9SFx with two additional mags from peppergunshop. Very happy with the gun and the included mags so far but the two additional mags seem very different. They seem slicker, flimsier and when I load rounds I am only able to put in 19 WITH a magloader. Hand loading is near impossible. And sometimes the last round pushed down by the loader does not spring back up so the top round it lose and I have to bank the mag against my hand to make it sit right.
I contacted century arms. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this difference in mag quality from what’s included to the extra ones made by the exact same company?!
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Re: Century arms mag quality issue?!

Post by TL1000RSquid » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Haven't bought any additional mags in awhile but yes have noticed a difference in the coating material they use on the mags but metal itself seems same thickness. The additional mags you got were mecgar correct? promag sells tp9 mags as well and i wouldnt touch those.
0 x

Pmaschke

Post by Pmaschke » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:10 pm

I got the “Century Arms 20rd MAGAZINE for Canik TP9SA TP9v2,TP9SF or TP9SFX 9MM mag MA550” ...
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:16 pm

They are all made by Mec Gar and the metal quality whether they come with the gun or purchased afterwards should be the same. As for the shinier coating on the ones I've purchased aftermarket, I'm not sure the reason. I wish they would use the matte finish on all of them. Anyway, I have a couple extra 20 rounders for my SFx and I've not had any difficulty loading them to capacity. Curious to hear what Century tells you when you get a reply from them.

Just an FYI, there is one aftermarket brand, Pro Mag which I would stay away from. But the ones you purchased from Prepper should be Mec Gar.
0 x

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:47 pm

Genuine (non-ProMag) should be stamped "Made for Canik by MecGar" or something similar. I purchased a pair of OEM 18 round mags for my SFx. Although they did have a slicker finish, the quality was still top notch and I haven't experienced any issues. They were also stamped with the MecGar markings like the 20 round mags bundled with my pistol.
0 x
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik!

NWCanik

Post by NWCanik » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:23 pm

one is blued and one is coated. besides that they are the same. i think the coated get done at the factory and the spare ones come direct from Meggar .
0 x

Pmaschke

Post by Pmaschke » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:57 pm

Century Arms asked me to send pictures of the mags (looking for counterfeit?). While I was doing that I took the springs out and noticed a big difference. The included mags have a consistent spring. The "extra" mags start off narrower, then have a weird center and become wider. I am providing a LINK: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1unMocJ ... sp=sharing
to my gDrive where I have two pics as a PDF with annotations for your convenience. I'd be curious if this is a mistake or a 'new' take on things?!

I also noticed that I can 'hear' the spring squeal with every round I put in (Like an old spring mattress) while the included mag makes no sound at all. I might just be really picky but if I have two 'flawless' mags I'd like the other two to be the same.

I'll report back with Century's response...
0 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:20 am

Pmaschke wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:57 pm
I'll report back with Century's response...
Definitely let us know what you find out. I recently purchased a couple extra 20 rounders from a different place than Preppers, but I never disassembled them. I didn't have any problems loading them to capacity with my Uplula. When I get home from vacation, I'll have to take them apart and take a look at the springs.
0 x

Pmaschke

Post by Pmaschke » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:46 pm

First Response after sending the PDF from above:
===
Century Arms: "All of the springs are wider on the bottom and narrow at the top because of how the magazine is shaped. They have to be like that"
My: "The included magazines aren't shaped like that?!"
Century Arms: "I have pulled the springs out of 15 magazines here in the office and they all are wider on the bottom"
===
Anyone here willing to look at their springs, and let me know/post?
At this point, I am wondering who makes/modifies the Mags that come in the box? I want those...Century Arms offered me 2 new mags but at this point, I'm inclined to decline. I'd rather go with a spring upgrade and see how that fares.
0 x

davsco

Post by davsco » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:39 pm

so my sfx came with two 20 rounders and i've bought 4 18 rounders. all the coils taper from smaller at the top (follower/feed lips) to wider at the bottoms.

that's been my experience with most if not all mags (glock, 2011 etc). smaller at the top to grab the follower, wider at the bottom to press against the wider area of the base pad.
0 x

Pmaschke

Post by Pmaschke » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:48 pm

davsco wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:39 pm
so my sfx came with two 20 rounders and i've bought 4 18 rounders. all the coils taper from smaller at the top (follower/feed lips) to wider at the bottoms.
But do they have the same weird circular shape in the middle where it transitions from wide to thin? (As circled in red in the PDF)
0 x

davsco

Post by davsco » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:42 pm

not the best eyes in the world, but i'm not seeing a difference

Image Image
0 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:18 am

I've been running my aftermarket 20 rounders for awhile now without issue. Only difference is the magazines are shinier than the two that came with the SFx.
0 x

DWARREN123

Post by DWARREN123 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:24 pm

To me they look like the springs in the new ones are not right.
0 x
Shut up and Reload!

Mikebaker1129

Post by Mikebaker1129 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:05 pm

I do know that Walther uses a heavier spring in the +2 mags that they source from Mecgar.
I got this from an email with Tech support. I was looking to buy the+2 extension parts and I was informed about the longer spring. The prices for the+2 extension,the retainer and the longer spring added up to the cost of a complete mag.
Mecgar will now sell parts for certain mags ,but not all. Walther is one that they will not sell parts for. Must be some agreement.
0 x