Freedomsmith-top2 canik-fanatic-ad-top3 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
Canik Fanatik Forum Information and Announcements.

Should we keep the forum running?

Yes its very helpful
89%
Maybe
3%
Shuter down
9%
Looks like the current owner of the forum plans to shut it down at the beginning of the year. My question for you all is this. Is the forum worth it? Is it worth keeping running?
By Zardos
I had no idea it was getting shut down. It used to be way more lively before all the format changes. I'd vote to keep it going and maybe it will come back around but then again it's not my call.
I am not posting near as much as I did in the past, but I still watch and read several times per week. I just voted to keep the site open, and am glad to see most other voters have as well. I am curious as to the couple that voted to shut it down...if you want it down, why not simply stop visiting the site, or delete your account?
By ncjw
AR15.com had a similar thread recently. Not to shut down the site, i am sure that they are making a mint, but just that participating in the shooting sports just hasn't been as much fun lately.

We all know that the price of ammo should be half of what it is, maybe a bit more because of inflation, but not double. That make you feel like you are being ripped off every time you order it. The primer shortage seems to be better, but those prices are triple what they used to be.

Typically, I think most of us were not sensitive to the MSM and PC crowd political pressure, but sh*t has been getting real lately with videos of ATF raids on gun parts manufacturers, door knocks on gun parts buyers, any conservative white person is now on the FBI domestic terrorism list as a potential white supremacist because you own a gun (or post on gun sites) and there will be more.

Specifically to Canik, they are not a rapid development company. They have many challenges being based in Turkey, all of which are understandable. But the Mete series is technically a minor upgrade and the Rival is a minor upgrade from that. All still great guns, but not as cheap as they once were and not compelling for a lot of people with a lot of competition out there. For instance, RMR cuts are pretty much table stakes for any new gun, even in the budget category.

In any case, the Elite is better than the G19 and the SF is better than the G17, so these basic guns should be flying off of the shelves if they had even a small share of the Glock market.

They desperately need a P365/Hellcat option, the SC was never a super-compact competitor there due to it's top heavy weight. It has a MUCH better trigger and better recoil control, but is not nearly as comfortable to carry (yeah, yeah, I know, people are carrying SFx's with Holosun 508's and an Olight and nobody even notices when you are carry in your Speedo at the beach...).

Anyway, not much excitement on the new product front.

Lastly, I have tinkered throughout Covid with all of my guns and it was fun, but they are all pretty much where I want them (still a couple of finicky P80's). But now it is time to start and keep re-engaging with people, and that takes time. No so much on my side, but a lot of personal and business friends are just now starting to meet face to face. So with that and a bit of depression over the current feds, just not shooting as much.

Back to this forum. I read the forum at least every other day, don't post as much as I used to and like others have zero social media presence, so this is it.

I have no idea how much time is involved in running a forum, it is hard to understand how it is not pretty much on auto-pilot, but again, I have no experience there.

As far as cost, I have no idea and have asked several times, but for some reason it seems to be classified. Let us know and figure out how to accept donations (even if it is a paper check to a PO Box...), and I don't think that there would be a problem financing it. Someone with some time and understanding of internet marketing should be able to get some advertisers and even make a bit of money off of it.

I will miss this if it is gone. I still don't understand how Canik is not better recognized as a fine gun in the general community. Whenever I see it reviewed by the YT'rs out there or in industry publications, it gets a tremendous amount of respect, but I think that FB and Reddit just dominate the younger folks. But this is our little community that understand that these are one of the best bang for your buck pistols out there.

And the folks here are generally good folks and have a good sense of humor, which you don't find in many forums. There are exceptions, but I won't name names (but they rhyme with Dodgerboy and LT PUSSA...).

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Ill say this. Currently the forum is pretty much on auto pilot. Obviously we would like to see the forum keep evolving to finalky get it to where we all want it to be. However the current owner can no longer handle the costs of running the forum. The reason I posted this is because I am thinking about taking over the financial aspect to keep the forum running.
By ncjw
I kind of got that vibe. So how much does it cost to run the site for a year? Again, let me know if I can help.

I know that we used to have ads, but just targeting Canik compatible upgrades like W74 and FS is probably too small of a market. Ammo sites and others should be a bit interested if you can show them some interesting metrics.

Good luck!
ncjw wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:02 pm I kind of got that vibe. So how much does it cost to run the site for a year? Again, let me know if I can help.

I know that we used to have ads, but just targeting Canik compatible upgrades like W74 and FS is probably too small of a market. Ammo sites and others should be a bit interested if you can show them some interesting metrics.

Good luck!
Not sure what the total cost is. I need to talk to the owner and figure it all out. I agree we should be able to get some ad revenue coming in as well as donations but thats something that will have to get worked out.
ncjw wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:17 am And the folks here are generally good folks and have a good sense of humor, which you don't find in many forums. There are exceptions, but I won't name names (but they rhyme with Dodgerboy and LT PUSSA...).
HEY! I resemble that.....
If possible, let's keep it rolling. Yeah, it's been pretty quiet lately, but the info available as a repository is pretty useful and is probably better qualified than that at other places. I know lots of folks read but don't write, and maybe that's an important metric about usage instead of new post counts?

I for one try to post when I have info that someone else might find useful. Maybe that's too babbly, but this forum can help Canik users avoid mistakes in their upgrade projects as an example of its value. Having duplicate discussions (like a generic ammo discussion) might not be useful since that can be found in bigger places perhaps, but having Canik-centric topics seems fundamentally useful for users (and maybe even Canik).
Has anyone thought that perhaps Century Arms should defray some of the cost of this forum? It seems like an important promotion channel for their brand, and as US companies that sell foreign-made products should know by now their job/contribution is brand management/promotion. Maybe Century Arms should be approached to see if they're willing to invest funds to help promote their Canik brand? From their perspective it seems like a no-brainer "yes" (but that's the way it looks to me of course).
By keltex78
I still frequent the forum, but don't have much to contribute. It would be nice if the forum has some more diverse content... Discuss things like reloading, and maybe Canik lovers discussing non Canik products. It's always nice finding info on other budget-friendly options.

We can only have so many threads like:
I'll also echo that I prefer forums to FaceySpace or Reddit. Definitely been slow around here. I can't put my finger on it but just seems like Caniks coming out are pretty refined so there isn't a lot of issues people need help with. Also, accessories fairly stagnant so not much do discuss there either.

Keep it going if you can.
By Zardos
keltex78 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:59 am I still frequent the forum, but don't have much to contribute. It would be nice if the forum has some more diverse content... Discuss things like reloading, and maybe Canik lovers discussing non Canik products. It's always nice finding info on other budget-friendly options.

We can only have so many threads like:
This, we can only talk about Canik so much. Maybe a black rifle area, other guns and gunsmithing. I realize we can talk about this stuff, and I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge here. There is a reason I come here and other like forums and not the AR-15 forum.
Scofflaw

In KS the "no black berettta" si[…]

The other main difference not mentioned above is t[…]

Canik Fanatik on Social Media

Funny same people run this forum that run that cra[…]

Arcus 98DA is from Bulgaria. Solid chunk of stee[…]