Freedomsmith-top2 canik-fanatic-ad-top3 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
By Weapon
I took a break from SFx Rival tune ups and put together a new lightweight AR. I finally got a chance to send some rounds downrange with it last weekend. For a lightweight build, it is more accurate than I expected with standard M855 SS109. I will do more accuracy testing after I get time to develop handloads for it but I am happy with the initial results.

Parts list:
Aero Precision upper
Aero Precision lower
Aero Precision 6 position receiver extension, plate and castle nut
Aero Precision Atlas R-One handguard
BCM Gunfighter enhanced lower parts kit & grip
Ballistic Advantage 14.7” pencil profile barrel with mid length gas system
Venom Defense Viper comp (pin and weld for 16.2” barrel length)
Superlative Arms adjustable gas block (adj gas is required for the ULW buffer but I put SA gas blocks on everything other than dirt cheap Plain Jane builds)
Brownells Lightweight NiB BCG
Radian Raptor charging handle
Taccom ULW buffer
Sprinco buffer spring
LaRue MDT-2 trigger
Primary Arms 1-8x LPVO with ACSS reticle
SWFA SSALT mount
Magpul CTR buttstock
Attachments
406FBD16-2FD0-4668-A927-03662079997A.jpeg
406FBD16-2FD0-4668-A927-03662079997A.jpeg (247.68 KiB) Viewed 322 times
By colonel00
Looks slick. You use many of my favorite components as well from Aero receivers to the BA barrels and SA gas blocks. Also, the Larue triggers are a steal for what they are. I'm no trigger expert but I think their value is unrivaled.
Sounds good, I'm in the midst of gathering parts for 18" build. So far got the BA SPR barrel, NiB Toolcraft BCG, RA Trigger, I'm debating on getting a billet receiver set or or using enhanced aero upper I already have and poverty pony or psa lowers i already have.
By ncjw
colonel00 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:34 pm Also, the Larue triggers are a steal for what they are. I'm no trigger expert but I think their value is unrivaled.
I keep hearing this. Unfortunately, I am not in the market for buying or building another AR and all of my current ones have Geissele triggers, which are amazing. If I were to build a new one, I would definitely try the LaRue, based on it's reputation.

For my lighter weight/not really lightweight build I used an Odin O2 Lite: https://www.odinworks.com/O2-Lite-M-LOK ... -ml-o2.htm which was great (although I put my chips on Keymod before MLOK became much more standardized...). The only other real light weight mod was a thinner/lighter stock where everything else has a Magpul ACS.

It's a pretty lightweight platform as it is, and I was never a fan of pencil thin, but I think that they have improved accuracy per ounce somewhat over the years.

Very curious to see how yours works with 69gr or 77gr match ammo.

I have been shooting my Caniks and P80's so much in the past two years that I have to take the poor, neglected AR's out for a spin...
By Weapon
TL1000RSquid wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:44 pm Sounds good, I'm in the midst of gathering parts for 18" build. So far got the BA SPR barrel, NiB Toolcraft BCG, RA Trigger, I'm debating on getting a billet receiver set or or using enhanced aero upper I already have and poverty pony or psa lowers i already have.
Finished an 18” build for my son not long ago using a BA 18” SPR barrel after I built my 18” SPR. For all around outdoor use, the 18” SPR is likely my favorite setup. 18” SPR barrel with rifle length gas combined with a Superlative Arms gas block and a carbine buffer system is ridiculously soft shooting. I swear mine and my son’s 18” SPR builds with M855 kick less than a stock 10/22. Note: both of those are running SJC Titans which knock off more than 75% of the usual muzzle rise and recoil.

18” SPR + Superlative Arms gas block + Titan = “Recoil? What recoil?”
By Weapon
Follow up thought: the Venom Defense Viper comp is currently a steal. It isn’t quite as effective as the godlike SJC Titan but it’s damn close and $13 on sale vs $110 for the Titan. The Viper is also only about 40% of the weight of the original Titan…
Looked up the viper might have to order a couple of them. I've heard good things about the SA blocks before might go with one I will do adjustable no matter what i go with. Couple friends have built some nice spr tack drivers, was going to build a 20" originally but 18" seems to be the new hotness.
By Weapon
18” SPR is a decent bit lighter than a 20” DMR (at least 7-10oz) and considerably lighter than any 18” or 20” traditional heavy barrel (fluted or non-fluted). I tried a 20” heavy barrel and an 18” fluted heavy barrel and while they were fairly fun from a bench, that was about it.

My 18” SPR has been used for just about everything at one point or another. It’s certainly not as light or maneuverable as the new one posted above but it’s not overly cumbersome and it’s definitely got an edge in the accuracy department at longer ranges. I am going to pull it back apart soon and see if I can’t squeeze just a little more out of it as a few this and that’s I couldn’t get when I first built it are finally back in stock and should be showing up on my doorstep soon.
Maneuverability I got covered, have 10.5, 12.5, and a couple 16" uppers, also besides the BA SPR barrel I picked up a 11.5 rosco cause i also want to buid a shorty a2. I had a 20" hbar awhile ago shot great but i traded away cause it was an A2 setup and I disliked the carry handle scope mounts.

Has anyone had a tp9sf elite slide milled for a ho[…]

Hello From Ohio

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your time here.

Holster recommendations

Thanks!

I'm right across the bridge so I'll keep my eyes p[…]