Canik-Gear-Banner2 W74-Guiderods4 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
Discussion for Competition Shooting.
By Mountainlion
Hi guys,
I’m 66 years old and beginner with pistol. Picked up my first gun in September 21. (P365) Have probably 3000 rounds on the P365.

Got a little bit bored and decided to buy a Rival. The Rival is a fantastic gun. Took the gun to the range for the second time today. Did shoot a 2” group (10 rounds) @ 10 yards. As long as I can focus I feel I can repeat that grouping. That is my skill level at the moment.

Have not practiced draws with holsters. Do not think that is allowed at the range. The do not allow rapid fire…

To my question. How do you make the range time more interesting? Feels like competitive shooting is the next step.

I’m decent with iron sight. But it is more feel than actually see what I’m aiming at. That is the reason for the red dot.

What type of competition would you recommend for a beginner like me?
I always try to get newer shooters to start with Steel Challenge matches. They are mostly stationary and very little course management involved.

There are two types of matches, outlaw and Steel Challenge. Steel Challenge follows the stages as show in section APPENDIX B–Stage Diagrams (see link below). Outlaw is just about any setup goes.

Draw, shoot 5 rounds (hopefully only 5 rounds) and repeat 4 more times. Each array is shot 5 times from a standing position with the lowest time being thrown out. You shoot as many rounds as required to hit each steel plate once with the designated "Stop Plate" being the last one to hit. Penalties are given for missing plates only after hitting the stop plate which stops the clock. Reloads are off the clock and don't count against your time.

Here are the rules for Steel Challenge: https://uspsa.org/viewer/2021-SCSA-Rule ... h-2021.pdf

Shooting a Rival without optic would normally put you into Limited Class. Read through APPENDIX D2–Limited Division and see if that meets your liking.

Go and give it a try! It's literally a "blast"! Feel free to ask questions if you have more interest.
By SFXowner
Go to https://practiscore.com/ and find some matches in your area. Super fun, meet all kinds of good people. You can use the Rival holster that comes with it no problem. I would prefer USPSA over IDPA but I agree, any kind of hybrid or steel challenge matches have less rules and more pew pew. Depends on your budget but spend the money and get a decent optic, buy once cry once, and youll become a much better shooter. most important - just go have fun
By StuartV
LT USN (Ret.) wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:44 am Draw, shoot 5 rounds (hopefully only 5 rounds) and repeat 4 more times. Each array is shot 5 times from a standing position with the lowest time being thrown out.
The lowest time is thrown out? Or the worst time (the highest number)?
By StuartV
@Mountainlion The local PSA indoor range that I go to sometimes does not allow drawing from a holster to shoot, or rapid fire.... UNLESS you ask them and they give you their "Tactical" Test, I think is what they called it. If you pass, they'll give you a Tac card. Present that when you check in and then you ARE allowed to draw from a holster and shoot rapid fire. The test is not a shooting skills test. It's a shooting safety test. They just want to make sure you can draw and shoot SAFELY. So, anyone can pass it.

I don't know if places in your area do anything similar, but it can't hurt to ask.

To make my range time more interesting, the main thing I do is use a shot timer. You can buy them, or you can do what I do, which is to use a free app I downloaded for my phone. I have an Android phone and use an app called Splits. It works really well.

At the range, I make up different drills for myself and use the shot timer to measure my improvements. For example:

Start in Surrender position (hands up). Draw. Put two rounds in a silhouette target as quickly as I can. The shot timer shows me how long to draw and get the first shot off, how long between first and second shot, and the total time. It keeps a database of all my repetitions, so I can see a graph of how I'm doing on any of those metrics. I enjoy the practice and seeing the improvements I'm able to make.

Or, put up 6 targets (could be one big sheet with 6 separate bullseyes on it). Can start with a draw or gun at Low Ready, or even with gun on the first target. Shot timer beeps and see how quickly I can put a round in each of the 6 targets.

The app even lets me put in where I did magazine reloads during a run, so the stats can reflect those times separately from the other split times. Which is also good for practicing emergency reloads and tracking the time those take, too.

Competing even with just myself makes my range time a lot more fun (to me).
StuartV wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:38 pm
LT USN (Ret.) wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:44 am Draw, shoot 5 rounds (hopefully only 5 rounds) and repeat 4 more times. Each array is shot 5 times from a standing position with the lowest time being thrown out.
The lowest time is thrown out? Or the worst time (the highest number)?
Yes, worst time being the highest.

Has anyone had a tp9sf elite slide milled for a ho[…]

Hello From Ohio

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your time here.

Holster recommendations

Thanks!

I'm right across the bridge so I'll keep my eyes p[…]