Freedomsmith-top2 canik-fanatic-ad-top3 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
Canik Firearm Reviews and Range Reports. Share your Canik experiences with other members.
By StuartV
I received my Rival Dark Side today. I ordered it on Thursday from FamilyFirearms.com (found via gun.deals). $599.99 with $20 shipping, no sales tax, and no CC fees. They had my local gun club in their FFL database. It was shipped there and I got a free FFL transfer (as a member of the gun club). So, $619.99, total, out the door, and I ordered it at 5:30pm on a Thursday and received it on Monday, four days later. Awesome!

I picked it up at the club and rolled right over to one of the pistol bays. I put 180 rounds of 115gr jacketed (or plated?) reman ball ammo through it. I didn't even oil it first. Just took it out of the box and started shooting. It ran flawlessly. 5 full loads each, through the 2 included magazines without a single hiccup.

I have a TP9 SFx, which I got last June. It is well-dressed with:

Freedomsmith Trigger
Galloway reduced pull spring set
W74 Tungsten guide rod
15# Commander recoil spring
TF Brass backstrap
Talon granulate grips
Holosun 507C-GR optic

I.e. it's a nice pistol for shooting USPSA Carry Optics division. I have put probably 1500 - 2000 rounds through it, and shot it in 2 USPSA matches.

I have read/watched all the reviews on the Rival. I expected it to be better than the 1st gen SFx. Well.... even with those expectations, I was blown away at how much better I like the Rival. There are 2 main reasons:

One, the Rival trigger, right out of the box, is WAY better than my Gen1 SFx trigger, even with its FS trigger shoe and Galloway springs. The Rival trigger has a bit more take-up, but that take-up is totally light and smooth. It is more like a good 2-stage trigger on a rifle than the typical takeup on an inexpensive striker pistol (e.g. a Glock). The Rival break is more crisp than the gen1. The gen1 has a load of creep (in comparison to the Rival). The Rival has a shorter reset. And the Rival trigger feels lighter, to me. Ignoring the take-up on the Rival, the break and the reset feels as good to me as a good 1911 trigger. I am seriously stunned that a $600 polymer, striker-fired pistol has such a nice trigger, right out of the box.

And, two, I was expecting improved ergonomics on the Rival, but even with that expectation, I am very pleasantly surprised at how much nicer the Rival feels in my hand and how much easier it is to get the right grip on it when I drop my hand to the holstered gun for a fast draw. That area that fits into the V between my thumb and first finger just feels a lot nicer, to me, than that same area on the gen1 SFx.

I already received the FS trigger and Galloway springs I ordered for the Rival, but I think I'm going to wait to put them in and shoot it with all stock fire control at least through my USPSA match this coming weekend.

What I AM looking forward to is receiving the tungsten guide rod, recoil springs, and brass back strap I ordered for it. Compared to my gen1, it definitely felt a bit snappier and a little slower to get back on target after a shot. I was getting 0.20 splits on second shots, shooting at a full-sized steel silhouette at 10 yards. But, I was doing better than that with my gen1 on a smaller target last week, so I think all that added weight does help.

And did I mention the trigger on the Rival....? LOL I will probably put the FS trigger in, after this weekend, just for the benefit of reducing take-up. But, if I had not already ordered it, I would not be ordering it at all in the foreseeable future. The stock trigger really IS that good!
By qballbandit
Briefly,
Last week I picked one up as well, and can "ditto" your comments above. Love to shoot it; shot 100rds of 124gr Speer Lawman through it - flawlessly.
I did clean/lube it first, ,however.
I shot it slow & methodical and fast. I didn't seem to notice the snappiness that I've heard others mention. Grouped tight at 5, 7, 10, and 15 yds.

Got mine for $625 at the range where I instruct. I never had a desire to own the SFX, but after I examined and shot the Rival prior to buying it, I was all in.
For what you get with the package, at a price that is amazing, other offerings in a like class look rather meager.

Enjoy yours!

Neil 8-)
By StuartV
qballbandit wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:35 pm Briefly,
Last week I picked one up as well, and can "ditto" your comments above. Love to shoot it; shot 100rds of 124gr Speer Lawman through it - flawlessly.
I did clean/lube it first, ,however.
I shot it slow & methodical and fast. I didn't seem to notice the snappiness that I've heard others mention. Grouped tight at 5, 7, 10, and 15 yds.

Got mine for $625 at the range where I instruct. I never had a desire to own the SFX, but after I examined and shot the Rival prior to buying it, I was all in.
For what you get with the package, at a price that is amazing, other offerings in a like class look rather meager.

Enjoy yours!

Neil 8-)
I probably would not have really noted any snappiness... if I had not been shooting my other Canik recently with all the weight added to it. With my gen1 (with all the weight added) I was getting splits between 0.10 and 0.15 where, with the stock Rival, I was getting 0.20 - 0.25. All that is "-ish". I didn't shoot them back to back and not exactly the same targets. It's just anecdotal observations that suggest to me that the stock Rival is a little more snappy and takes just slightly longer to recover and get back on target. I would/could not conclude that it is 0.10 seconds slower. Only that it SEEMS somewhat slower.

The first thing I did with it was shoot 10 rounds slow fire, trying for precision, at 10 yards. It did well, but not great. But, I really think that was just me, not the gun. I was not trying THAT hard. And also iron sights. And I was wearing progressive lens eyeglasses today. Normally, I shoot wearing multifocal contact lenses.

I just finished cleaning it up and moving my Holosun from my gen1 over to the Rival. Some time this week, I'll get back out to check/adjust zero with that and then it will basically be ready for the match this weekend. If I get the tungsten guide rod, springs, and/or brass backstrap before the match, great. If not, I'll shoot it like it is - and love it. :)
By StuartV
I made another trip to the range yesterday with the Rival. Put another 150-ish rounds through it.

I picked up a Holosun 407CO before I went, so I moved the 507C back to my TP9 and put the 407CO on the Rival before shooting.

The Rival continued to function flawlessly. While zeroing my new optic, I confirmed that the Rival will shoot one raggedy hole at 10 yards, with my hands braced on top of a bag to hold the pistol. To me, that equals totally awesome.

Also, I like the 407CO a LOT better than my 507C. The CO has a reticle that is just an 8 MOA donut.

On the 507C, you can have a 2 MOA dot, a 32 MOA circle with hash marks top/bottom/both sides, or both. For the kind of shooting I'm doing, the 2 MOA dot by itself is just kinda too small and hard to pick up quickly. The 32 MOA circle is a bit too big. And the combo of the 2 just seems kind of busy and a little bit distracting to the eye from find a good sight picture on the target.

The 8 MOA donut just works. It's big enough to pick up quickly. Being a donut, you CAN see through the center of it for more precise shooting than if it was an 8 MOA dot. Admittedly, still not AS precise as a 2 MOA dot, but plenty precise enough for me. Small enough to still work just fine for shooting with reasonable precision out to 20-something yards.

I am shooting a USPSA match on Saturday with the Rival/407CO. I am really looking forward to seeing how that goes.

I know the gold standard for USPSA red dots right now is the Trijicon SRO with the 5 MOA dot. I looked really hard at that. But, the Holosun was about half the price, and available locally for instant gratification. So, the 407CO won... :D
By SFXowner
All good re: SRO vs Holo. I have the 507C on my G17 and G45, and I know with a 25 yard zero my height over bore holdover at 3 yards is right at the bottom of the 32 MOA reticle, makes it super easy to know you are going to have shot placement for longer range targets spot on, and easy holdover for close targets.

Has anyone had a tp9sf elite slide milled for a ho[…]

Hello From Ohio

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your time here.

Holster recommendations

Thanks!

I'm right across the bridge so I'll keep my eyes p[…]