swampfox Canik-Gear-Banner2 canik-fanatic-ad-top3
Unanswered topics Active topics
General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
By Janik
I can't for the life of me understand why people carry with an empty chamber. Stuff can happen in the blink of any eye, and needing to chamber a round can cost you your life. Here's a prime example. To each their own, but I really don't understand why someone would carry empty. If it's due to a lack of confidence, then get appropriate training.

ncjw wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:22 pm Since i am never going to have a Youtube account to sign into, what happened?
Basically armed security (think it was cash collection contractor) was accosted at gunpoint. Assailants sort of just walked up behind the two security guards. One of the guards apparently identifies the suspicious dude, dude pulls out a gun and starts shooting. One of the guards had the drop on the guy with a gun but he did not have a round in the chamber ready to go, by the time he racks the slide he is hit already, falls over deceased.

Moral of the story was, if he had a live round chambered he would have had the first shot within about 3 ft, dramatically could have changed the outcome of the fight.
By ncjw
I've watched a lot of Active Self Protection and never had to sign in before. People get wasted all of the time on it.

But watching just a few usually convinces you to carry with one in the chamber. I still have a safety on my carry gun, but even reconsidering that extra split second.
Time yourself with the safety on from the draw to your first shot on target. Then leave it off and time yourself again.
I'd be interested to hear your results.
Manual safety on a defense gun is a constant topic in our classes. If anyone comes to our defense classes with a safety on their gun, but says, "I'm just going to keep it off for class", my response is - then a) you can leave class, or b) you bought your carry/home gun with a safety, you are going to train using it correctly. When we force students to use it, you can tell right away who practices diligently, and who has never practiced disengage/engage routines at all. As well, how many people flub the disengage while trying to perform intense drills, and - click, no bang.
But yes, less items on the checklist to perform is sure a speedier way of accomplishing getting that first round off in as close to 1 second as possible - especially for those of us in a "conceal" state.
Of course, empty chamber speaks for itself. Air isn't going to save my life or yours, so put a round in the chamber instead ;-)

Neil 8-)
It depends entirely on how you train.
If you train with a safety it won't significantly effect your time.
But it just might prevent a negligent discharge and a very bad day.
Last edited by cavelamb on Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qballbandit wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:34 pm Time yourself with the safety on from the draw to your first shot on target. Then leave it off and time yourself again.
I'd be interested to hear your results.
Manual safety on a defense gun is a constant topic in our classes. If anyone comes to our defense classes with a safety on their gun, but says, "I'm just going to keep it off for class", my response is - then a) you can leave class, or b) you bought your carry/home gun with a safety, you are going to train using it correctly. When we force students to use it, you can tell right away who practices diligently, and who has never practiced disengage/engage routines at all. As well, how many people flub the disengage while trying to perform intense drills, and - click, no bang.
But yes, less items on the checklist to perform is sure a speedier way of accomplishing getting that first round off in as close to 1 second as possible - especially for those of us in a "conceal" state.
Of course, empty chamber speaks for itself. Air isn't going to save my life or yours, so put a round in the chamber instead ;-)

Neil 8-)
I like this.."train how you fight". I will say though that the barrel gets hot and shoving it down the front of my pants isn't fun. Not a good day to go commando

Watch some of the DJ Shipley GBRS knowledge transfer materials. He explains why "burning good reps" is so important
ncjw wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:15 am qb, agreed on all points.

Here's another video of every second counts:

https://www.usasupreme.com/second-amend ... ise-video/

No sign in needed.

It's amazing that you just can't hang in your driveway in Houston without carrying, but here we are.
I live in Frisco Texas, one of the nicest and fastest growing suburbs in Texas, and we had an attempted home invasion across the street from me at 8pm on a Sunday evening. I don't go anywhere without carrying these days. This is in Frisco f'ing TEXAS.....
By ncjw
I just reread this and wanted to make clear - if I decide to carry without a safety, it will be with a new weapon without a safety, not my current pistol with a safety with the safety off (not that there is anything wrong with that if you practice). I would also be upgrading from a .380 to a 9mm, which would be the main reason for changing.

Just haven't pulled the trigger yet (see what I did there?...)
Way back as a young man I went to work for a major airline and it was still legal to have a firearm on the property.
Two guys I got to be friends with rode back and forth to work together and they lived in the boonies and came through a not so nice part of the city to get to work.
The driver told me he kept a Browning Hi Power on the seat beside him but not one in the chamber.
One night,getting off work at 11 pm, they were starting to pull out of the parking lot, windows down, arms hanging out, which was the style on mild days in the South.
I flagged him down as if I wanted to tell him something and when I walked up close I grabbed his arm, pointed my finger at him and said let me see you put one in the chamber now!
Next time I saw him he said he carried it cocked and locked with the safety on and one in the chamber.

Has anyone had a tp9sf elite slide milled for a ho[…]

Hello From Ohio

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your time here.

Holster recommendations

Thanks!

I'm right across the bridge so I'll keep my eyes p[…]