Canik-Gear-Banner2 W74-Guiderods4 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
By LT USN (Ret.)
I personally like this better than the METE version. I will be looking to purchase in the Urban Gray this as a second competition firearm.

Thx for the link.
By Zardos
I too like this better than the Mete but still like my tricked out SFX better and wont be getting one anytime soon. Looks like its sprung for Nato ammo as well. Kind of reminds me of the Sig AXG pro but less than half of the price.
Last edited by Zardos on Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By SFXowner
I'm tempted to purchase it anyways, so yeah now I'd have three comp guns to choose from. My current SFX seems to have reached the right break in period and sweet spot of the tweaks to it...but then i'd have to buy another SRO, make sure the holster fits.....

Fortunately my wife doesn't GAF :)
By BlasterRick2
Wow, pretty radical slide cuts. Definitely don't want to drop this guy in the dirt. Looks like the loaded chamber indicator is gone - hard to see with optics mounted anyway. Wonder if the optics plates will work with METE.
By Zardos
SouthernTP9 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:48 am I sooooo wish that TF or someone would come out with a magwell that's not so "competition" huge.
The reason I got it was because its brass and adds weight. along with the back strap and mag extensions, much better balance now.
By colonel00
BlasterRick2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:15 pm Wonder if the optics plates will work with METE.
I doubt it. From the videos I have watched, they look like old school SFX plates with the channel for the striker under them. That's one miss I see on this. It seems to basically use old SFX slides.
By ncjw
With Mete's running about $540 or so now, is the Rival worth $680? (BTW, I bought my SFx a few years back, well before the panic, for $500.)

The new trigger looks like the EC Salient trigger, which was very good. I think that I still prefer the FS, which might be $80. (BTW, looking at Glock trigger upgrades, pretty much all are $130 and even then not as good as any FS on any Canik.)

You get lots of plates, which is good. If you are trying to use an already owned dot that is unsupported on the Mete, that could be a deciding factor right there.

You get a cool new adjustable iron sight, which you can't get on a Mete. However, you lose that if you go to a dot. The best that I can tell from the reviews is that there are actually two cowitnessed iron sights. One stays when the stock plate is removed and the adjustable sight is attached to the stock plate. An adjustable sight would have been great if my eyes were still young.

The Rival comes with 3 x 18 round mags instead of 1 x 20 and 1 x 18 on the Mete. A $30 savings (if you can even find them.)

The Rival barrel is fluted. Not worth upgrading your Mete barrel but new and very cool.

So it is pretty close unless you are happy with the stock Mete.

I am still leaning towards the Mete with an FS trigger (and I have lots of mags, so the extra mag is not an issue.)
By SFXowner
ncjw wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:21 pm With Mete's running about $540 or so now, is the Rival worth $680? (BTW, I bought my SFx a few years back, well before the panic, for $500.)

The new trigger looks like the EC Salient trigger, which was very good. I think that I still prefer the FS, which might be $80. (BTW, looking at Glock trigger upgrades, pretty much all are $130 and even then not as good as any FS on any Canik.)

You get lots of plates, which is good. If you are trying to use an already owned dot that is unsupported on the Mete, that could be a deciding factor right there.

You get a cool new adjustable iron sight, which you can't get on a Mete. However, you lose that if you go to a dot. The best that I can tell from the reviews is that there are actually two cowitnessed iron sights. One stays when the stock plate is removed and the adjustable sight is attached to the stock plate. An adjustable sight would have been great if my eyes were still young.

The Rival comes with 3 x 18 round mags instead of 1 x 20 and 1 x 18 on the Mete. A $30 savings (if you can even find them.)

The Rival barrel is fluted. Not worth upgrading your Mete barrel but new and very cool.

So it is pretty close unless you are happy with the stock Mete.

I am still leaning towards the Mete with an FS trigger (and I have lots of mags, so the extra mag is not an issue.)
Good summary - I am usually very good at sniffing out magazines and havent been able to find any...I have 10 20 rounders and one 18 rounder (which came with the Mete). For me, I just dont like running a 407k/507k or any RMScc, I much prefer the SRO for everything. So for me at least, I'll keep the SFT which I carry a lot, and see if I get bored with my old SFX and X5 Legion
By colonel00
The other thing I noticed in the videos is while everyone says it's a great trigger, it still has quite a bit of takeup compared to my SFX with a FS trigger installed. I guess I'm just spoiled by the FS triggers. I even put one on my EC which has the Salient trigger.
By ncjw
I forgot to add in Bidenflation. That's about 10% or $54 right there.

With the Turkish Lira in free fall ($0.30 five years ago, $0.17 two years ago, $0.07 now), it's a wonder Canik can afford Italian mags or other raw materials. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a significant interruption in production for quite some time. Turkey is a ticking time bomb.
By StuartV
I have a TP9SFx now, with a Galloway spring kit and a Freedomsmith trigger. And a Holosun 507C. I've been eyeing a Mete, but now looking at the Rival.

There are only 2 things I don't like about my SFx. One is the way it feels on the thumb knuckle on my strong hand. And, two, I don't like the way my FS trigger sometimes hangs up if I don't press it just right. If I start my trigger press at a bit of an angle, it will stick and refuse to press all the way and fire.

I watched both of the videos linked earlier in the thread.

I have seen some comments that the Mete is better, in how it feels on the thumb knuckle, and also that the Rival is better. Are the Mete and Rival the same, as far as that goes? It kinda looks like the Mete SFx and Rival frames are identical. They just different in the slide assembly and the trigger that is installed.

In the GB video, he mentions several times that the Rival Grey is the "competition" model and the Dark Side is for EDC or something like that. Are there ANY other difference between the two than color and the extra optic plate that comes with the Dark Side? I can't see anything that makes the Grey BETTER for competition than the Dark Side.

And speaking of competition, I gather that the size reduction from Mete to Rival is to meet some competition rules. Can anyone tell me what organization and division the Rival is legal for that the SFx (and, presumably, Mete SFx) is not? I just got a race rig for my SFx, so I can go shoot some Steel Challenge and IPSC matches. I was planning to shoot the Carry Optic division. I was just ASSuming that it would be legal for that. I also have the option to shoot some local IDPA matches, too. So, if there are divisions in any of those (IPSC, IDPA, or Steel Challenge) that the SFx is not legal for, but the Rival is, I'd really like to find out - before I show up to a match and find out the hard way.

Do 20 round mags for a TP9 work in the Rival? I presume so. But, do they work with the mag well installed? Do the aftermarket mag bases that bump capacity up on an 18 round mag also work and fit with the Rival mag well?

As far as price goes, I spent $100 on my FS trigger and Galloway springs. If the Rival doesn't need any of that, then that's like getting a $100 credit on the Rival price, right out of the box (so to speak). I suspect it WILL need the springs, but they were only $20, so it's still an $80 bonus. For me, the Rival (or SFx) would never be a carry gun, and a 4.5# trigger is just too heavy (to me - for shooting matches).

If the frame is more comfortable than the SFx frame, then that's worth something (to me), too.

When I first saw the $680 price tag, I was thinking that was quite a jump from $500 for an SFx. But, from what the reviews say about the trigger and the ergos, I'm starting to think maybe the Rival price isn't really so bad after all. All ready to go, it won't be THAT much more than what I have in my SFx - and more comfortable.
By LT USN (Ret.)
" In the GB video, he mentions several times that the Rival Grey is the "competition" model and the Dark Side is for EDC or something like that. Are there ANY other difference between the two than color and the extra optic plate that comes with the Dark Side? I can't see anything that makes the Grey BETTER for competition than the Dark Side." - I don't see anything different between the back & gray other than color on the Canik website.

"are divisions in any of those (IPSC, IDPA, or Steel Challenge) that the SFx is not legal for, but the Rival is, I'd really like to find out - before I show up to a match and find out the hard way." - Rival is most likely too new to have been reviewed for Steel Challenge or USPSA shooting. There is nothing, other than being added to the approved list, stopping the Rival from being used at these matches. I use my modified SFx for Carry Optics in both Steel Challenge or USPSA.

I'm thinking I will buy one of the gray versions once the price comes down to the SFx range. Just because I can. :d
By colonel00
The only difference I know of is the blackout one apparently comes with the extra plate for a micro RDS (Shield footprint) that also has backup rear sights on it.
By StuartV
LT USN (Ret.) wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:20 am " In the GB video, he mentions several times that the Rival Grey is the "competition" model and the Dark Side is for EDC or something like that. Are there ANY other difference between the two than color and the extra optic plate that comes with the Dark Side? I can't see anything that makes the Grey BETTER for competition than the Dark Side." - I don't see anything different between the back & gray other than color on the Canik website.

"are divisions in any of those (IPSC, IDPA, or Steel Challenge) that the SFx is not legal for, but the Rival is, I'd really like to find out - before I show up to a match and find out the hard way." - Rival is most likely too new to have been reviewed for Steel Challenge or USPSA shooting. There is nothing, other than being added to the approved list, stopping the Rival from being used at these matches. I use my modified SFx for Carry Optics in both Steel Challenge or USPSA.

I'm thinking I will buy one of the gray versions once the price comes down to the SFx range. Just because I can. :d
If the SFx is good to go for Carry Optic, then it must also be good (with iron sights) for Production.

I really wonder what organization and division the SFx and Mete are not legal for that the slightly smaller Rival can qualify for. Some IDPA division maybe?

I'd love to have a Rival, but I cannot remotely justify buying one. I am just coming back to doing some match shooting after many years of not, and I already have more good pistols for different divisions than I can really shoot anyway.

Hmmm....

Does anybody know if the Mete fits in the same holster that an SFx fits in? I have a DAA PDR Pro-II holster for my SFx. If the Mete fits in that, then it looks like a Rival would, too. The Mete and Rival appear to have identical frames. If I could use the same holster rig for both, that would certainly make the overall cost of a Rival easier to swallow...
Mags up!

Gunmagwarehouse has MA548 the 18 rounders availabl[…]

New From MN

Welcome aboard the forum.

When signing up for MeWe to join the group do […]

507k on Elite Combat issues

The 507k has the Shield RSMc footprint which is fa[…]