swampfox Canik-Gear-Banner2 canik-fanatic-ad-top3
Unanswered topics Active topics
Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
Lots of options out there. Streamlight and Surefire are proven reliable. Many like Olight as an affordable option. A lot depends on what you are wanting the light to be used for and what size you want. Is this for home/personal defense? Do you plan to holster the gun with the light?
I put an Olight PL mini 2 on my SFT because I already had the light. But, it only holds 600 lumens for one minute and then goes to 60 lumens which is not good. So, I recently ordered a Streamlight TLR7 sub which holds 500 lumens for 1.5 hours which is much better. I prefer a smaller light.
I notice that the Streamlight TLR 7 sub 500 has 3 different model numbers (and different prices) on Amazon. Which is most compatible with my Canik Mete. Gun to be used for home/personal defense. No holster issue. Thanks again.
Caliber wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:22 pm I put an Olight PL mini 2 on my SFT because I already had the light. But, it only holds 600 lumens for one minute and then goes to 60 lumens which is not good. So, I recently ordered a Streamlight TLR7 sub which holds 500 lumens for 1.5 hours which is much better. I prefer a smaller light.
Will a Sub fit a Canik rail? I thought they were for slim guns like the Glock 43x.
I've got streamlights, surefires olights, among a few others, I personally would rate the streamlights as my best quality ones have a few several years old and still going. TLR1HL is whats on my main home delfense guns, it is a bit big and bulky for carry though.
Brianbro wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:26 pm Thanks to all who replied. Not sure about the warning about "explosive device at end of a gun". Is this comment specific to the Olight mounting system?
Part of that was meant in jest but there is a kernel of truth to it. I'm not one of those Olight nazis but Olights are documented to be cheap chinese products with a history of malfunctions - some of them injurious. I have a couple but would not trust my life to them. There was a good youtube video on the actual performance and lumen output and they failed miserably.

Plus streamlights are incredibly cheap right now relative to historical pricing.
SFXowner wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:38 pm
Brianbro wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:26 pm Thanks to all who replied. Not sure about the warning about "explosive device at end of a gun". Is this comment specific to the Olight mounting system?
Part of that was meant in jest but there is a kernel of truth to it. I'm not one of those Olight nazis but Olights are documented to be cheap chinese products with a history of malfunctions - some of them injurious. I have a couple but would not trust my life to them. There was a good youtube video on the actual performance and lumen output and they failed miserably.

Plus streamlights are incredibly cheap right now relative to historical pricing.
Yeah, there is a story floating around about a guy who died after the light exploded in his mouth as he was holding it to work on something. However there is a lot of speculation as to what actually happened and what caused it. Could have shorted if it was contacted by his tongue or something else. There are also many other stories about people's batteries rupturing but often there could be other causes like one guy that was using some vape charger to charge the 18650 or whatever battery and it could have overcharged it.

Anyway, I have numerous Olights and have never had an issue. Yeah, they are cheap(er) Chinese made lights but they work for what I need them for. That said, I have a TLR7 Sub on my 43x/48 and other Streamlights on guns I would use for home defense.
The "best" light is a bit subjective. I don't really count what kind of gun it is going on, the qualities of the light are unaffected by that factor.

Some model of Surefire X300 is going to be about the best you can get. It is also the most expensive. And Made in USA, if that matters.

The Streamlight line has good mid-price lights, about half what Surefire costs. I have one myself on a Canik. I believe that Streamlight is an American company, and some of their stuff is US-made, but I believe their weapon lights are Chinesium. You probably can't go wrong with a Streamlight TLR7.

Below the Streamlight are a bunch of brands, all with varying levels of quality, and almost exclusively made in Asia. Personally, I don't pay much attention down at this end of the market, so I can't give much feedback on specifics. I tend to try and stick with USA stuff when I can, and don't care to go cheap on items that may be required to save a life some day. I consider a weapon light to be in this category.
Brianbro wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:32 pm I notice that the Streamlight TLR 7 sub 500 has 3 different model numbers (and different prices) on Amazon. Which is most compatible with my Canik Mete. Gun to be used for home/personal defense. No holster issue. Thanks again.
Mete SFT has a 1913 Picatinny rail. So, I assume the TLR7 sub for 1913 rails will fit, but I have not received my TLR7 sub yet.
Have 2 Olight Baldr Pros - one on my Elite, one on my Walther PDP Compact. Never had an issue with either. Shoot with them often, dry fire practice almost daily - both on my EDC's, so lot's of holster draw/reholstering.
Always hold the laser at 15ft. where I set them. No mounting issues. No issues with the laser/light settings. Great price.

Neil 8-)
Caliber wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:04 pm
Brianbro wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:32 pm I notice that the Streamlight TLR 7 sub 500 has 3 different model numbers (and different prices) on Amazon. Which is most compatible with my Canik Mete. Gun to be used for home/personal defense. No holster issue. Thanks again.
Mete SFT has a 1913 Picatinny rail. So, I assume the TLR7 sub for 1913 rails will fit, but I have not received my TLR7 sub yet.
As I mentioned previously, the Sub is for the narrow compact guns like the Glock 43x and Sig p365 and I think the Hellcat. Probably some others. These all have a more narrow frame and pic rail than a standard frame like the Caniks have. I'm away from home so I cannot try my Sub on my Caniks but I'm pretty sure it won't fit.

Has anyone had a tp9sf elite slide milled for a ho[…]

Hello From Ohio

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your time here.

Holster recommendations

Thanks!

I'm right across the bridge so I'll keep my eyes p[…]