Freedomsmith-top2 canik-fanatic-ad-top3 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
Hello. I'm new. Sold a few firearms to fund getting a tp9sfx and I'm off tomorrow to handle it at a lgs before plunking down my money.

Just one question. The mod that comes with the vortex viper - i know it's a good deal, but I'm just curious about your experience with it. I was able to handle both the viper and the venom the other day at a store and I like the larger window on the viper. I don't like the fact that the battery is under the optic and requires removal to install a new battery. I think I'd like 3 moa on the venom but when i turned the brightness down on the viper, that 6 moa looked small - to the point my eyes really liked it.

I've got a super cheap red dot on a Ruger 22/45 that i can hit a quarter all day with at 10 - 12 yards - it's probably 6 moa but i don't know for certain. This would be my first "better" red dot.

So is the viper going to give me good groups within 25 yards with that 6 moa dot? Is the battery replacement a big deal?

Just looking for advice before slapping down another $200 for the tp9sfx that comes with the red dot.

I typically punch paper but would like to get into shooting steel.

Thanks!
By Landric
I don't have any direct experience with the Vortex red dots. That said, they don't have a particularly good reputation for durability on pistols. Vortex has an excellent warranty and will replace the dot if it breaks, so there is that.

If it were me, I would buy the SFX without the red dot and then spend $250 or so on a Holosun 507C instead. The Holosuns have a great reputation and I have direct experience with them doing well well on pistols.
I agree with everything said above by Landric. I like own a few of Vortex's rifle red dots and a scope they're great but the quality of their pistol red dots isn't great. Been alot of good deals on Holosuns lately $220-250 you'd be much better off.
In my personal opinion, Viper sucks. I had two go bad (Vortex did replace them). Yes, changing the battery will cause you to have to realign. Tough to do at an event.

+1 on the Holosun 507Cx2. They are great. I started USPSA and Steel Challenge competition with one. A green reticle with three options for viewing is tough to beat.

I have moved my 507Cx2 to a PCC for fun and maybe future competition and added a Trijicon SRO with 6 MOA dot to my SFx. It better suits my eyes.
Beefsupremecombo wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:17 am
Just one question. The mod that comes with the vortex viper - i know it's a good deal, but I'm just curious about your experience with it. I was able to handle both the viper and the venom the other day at a store and I like the larger window on the viper. I don't like the fact that the battery is under the optic and requires removal to install a new battery. I think I'd like 3 moa on the venom but when i turned the brightness down on the viper, that 6 moa looked small - to the point my eyes really liked it.
So is the viper going to give me good groups within 25 yards with that 6 moa dot? Is the battery replacement a big deal?
Just looking for advice before slapping down another $200 for the tp9sfx that comes with the red dot.
My SFX has partnered with a Venom 3 MOA red dot for exactly 4 years now. I researched both the Viper and Venom at the time and went with the Venom for the following reasons: 1) battery accessed from top,
2) ratings/reviews for the Venom were better, 3) slightly larger which I like on my large SFX, 4) better power & adjustment controls in my opinion, 5) I shoot better with 3 MOA dot). In the 4 years it's been on my SFX, the Venom hasn't given me a single problem and I'm still on the original battery even after thousands of rounds down the pipe. Brightness range is incredible - the dot is extremely easy to see in all lighting conditions I've encountered indoor and outdoor. My tired old eyes really appreciate that.
That's just my experience with and perspective on the Venom. Hope all or some is helpful.

By ncjw
My Venom on my SFx has been fantastic and trouble free I didn't get the Viper due to the battery placement and being an earlier gen.

However, my Sig Romeo on my SC is great as well. I will only ever get another RMR with shake awake after having the Romeo, so make sure you get that feature.
The Vioer model sucks!!! The Venom is a quality sight. I have had one on a 10mm for a couple years now with no issues at all.

GET A VENOM! RUNAWAY from the Viper.
Another vote for the Venom. I used one for the first couple years I competed. They last about 12,000 rounds before they break, but when they do break, Vortex will just send you a brand new one no questions asked. I went through 4 of them. 99% of shooters will never get near 12k rounds through their pistol in 50 years. It’s a good sight.
By FrankW
Vortex has suffered some bad press due to the reliability of the Viper. The Venom is a very good red dot with a great warranty. I have shot mine over three years and it has been excellent. The only reason to stay away from the Vortex Venom is because you want the auto-on feature. You have to manually turn on the Venom. The dot in the Venom is sharper than the dot in my Holosun 507.

The only mistake you can make here is to buy a viper.

Frank
Several people run the Venom on caniks in matches near me without issue

For competition, a smaller dot size and larger window can help. Leopold deltapoint pro or the cheaper option would be a SwampFox Justice.
By CNC1
I just bought another Holosun 507G X2 (green multi-recital) for another gun. My first one was $339, this one was $259, bought them at KY Gun Co. I was going to get a Swampfox in green, but at these prices I'll stick with Holosun.
New Member from Portugal

Hi! I'm from Portugal and have a TP9 Elite SC. :-[…]

Flat nose bullets

Thanks for the input. I may buy some samples and t[…]

New shirt and hoodie available at CF Gear. https[…]

Competition insight wanted

True I'm thinking just sticking with pistol for no[…]