swampfox Canik-Gear-Banner2 canik-fanatic-ad-top3
Unanswered topics Active topics
General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
By glenc1
I had my TP9SFX for three years. I have put 10 - 20,000 rounds through it (competion and practice). It has ran pretty much flawless with proper ammo. Yessterday it fired out of battery twice. Why and how do I fix it?
Check the firing pin channel... make sure it's cleaned out and the firing pin is in good shape. Look for any peening of the firing pin tip, and/or cracks or anything unusual on the firing pin. Also look at the breech face and make sure there's no burr around the firing pin hole. Your problem almost certainly has to be in one of those two areas. Let us know what you find please.
I would like to know more on this also.
I am not sure what is happening to me but it could be firing out of battery. I assumed it was weak range pick up reloaded brass as it blows one side of the case bottom out.
It happened a few weeks ago at an indoor match. Louder than normal boom and slide locked partially back. I went and checked everything out and went back to shooting.
Last week it happened twice during a practice session on the outdoor range. Stung my hand a bit and blackened my fingers. Both pieces of brass were partially extracted and blown out on one side near the base.
Without knowing a little more about what happened I will throw out some thoughts from prior experience.

A broken or jambed firing pin can cause a slam fire. But if the round did not go off until you pulled the trigger I doubt that's the cause.

Weak brass can blow out.

Over pressure can also cause blowouts. Either from too much powder, or from the bullet being pushed too deep and reducing case capacity.
glenc1 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:04 am I had my TP9SFX for three years. I have put 10 - 20,000 rounds through it (competion and practice). It has ran pretty much flawless with proper ammo. Yessterday it fired out of battery twice. Why and how do I fix it?
You're saying that the slide was out of battery (i.e. not all the way forward), you pulled the trigger, and the gun fired?

It is normal that a TP9 SFx with the slide just slightly out of battery will still allow you to pull the trigger. Usually, pulling the trigger in that situation will also cause the slide to move that last little bit into battery.

With 10 - 20K rounds through it, my first suspicion would be that your recoil spring has gotten a little weak and is no longer strong enough to reliably push the slide all the way into battery. In which case, I would put a new recoil spring in.
May also want to check the safety plunger and raised portion on the striker. If gun is not in full battery and slide moves forward when the trigger is pulled, the safety plunger should have already prevented a primer strike. At least my TP9SFX works that way.

Has anyone had a tp9sf elite slide milled for a ho[…]

Hello From Ohio

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your time here.

Holster recommendations

Thanks!

I'm right across the bridge so I'll keep my eyes p[…]