swampfox Canik-Gear-Banner2 canik-fanatic-ad-top3
Unanswered topics Active topics
New Members, take a moment and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about you and your interest in the Canik brand of firearms.
Hello friends! I’m a photographer by trade and I enjoyed shooting photos daily and guns on my spare time. Picked up a TP9 SFX earlier this month and after hearing about a few issues, I gave it a quick clean and loaded a couple mags with some 124 ammo and went to do a little plinking.
I didn’t make it through the first mag when I got my first FTF. I racked the gun and the gun fired properly. I shot about 100 rounds total and had the issue at least 4-5 times.
My plan at this point is to blame it on the break in period or maybe even limp wrists a time or two and try not to worry about it too much. In the meantime, I have reached out to CA for the lighter spring. Any advice would be appreciated!
Disassemble and clean, clean, clean. They are known to ship with gunk. Make sure you clean out the firing pin channel too.

Second part you have already completed, requesting the reduced power RSA.

Third part is to break-in with hot ammo (if you have some).

Here is the link to all things SFx: topic1888.html
ShutterBug wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:27 pm Or should I just order the Sprinco kit with the yellow RCS and the 29N striker spring?

https://sprinco-com.3dcartstores.com/vi ... sp?catid=0
So what is the end game with your Canik? Competition? Home defense and/or CCW? Range plinker? It all makes a difference on what you add and how much you want to spend.

If you want to tinker, a W74 guide rod with Commander length springs in the 13# to 16# range gives you the most malleability. The Springco option (which is a very good option), while it doesn't add as much weight as the W74 guide rod, does improve upon the stock operation.

So it's all a "depends" answer to your question.
Never competition, maybe home defense/CCW, definitely range plinker. However, the most pressing goal at this moment is really quite simple and my ultimate plan for this weapon seems irrelevant at this point. I just want this $500+ weapon to go through a 20 round mag without 2-3 failure to fire malfunctions. My current dilemma is wondering if I should buy anything and mod this gun before my next range day, or just wait until after the break-in period? I have heard from CA and it sounds like the lighter RCS is on the way. Should I replace the striker spring at the same time?
I understand there are issues with basically any gun throughout the lifetime of the weapon, but my range days are a bit few and far between. I'm more than willing to chalk it all up to user error and new gun, but I really don't waste another day dealing with this issue. All advice is appreciated!
Last edited by ShutterBug on Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let me see if I have this right so far...

Upgraded Guide Rod = Reduced Recoil and Muzzle Flip (W74 is heavier, so better recoil management than Sprinco)

Upgraded Recoil Spring = Better performance with lighter rounds and less issues with rounds not ejecting properly

Upgraded Striker Spring = Recommended modification when using a lighter RCS. Should also help with failure to fire issues.

*Please tell me if I'm headed in the wrong direction. I don't think I'll ever use this gun for competition, so please let me know what you would do if you were in my position. Should the Canik have already came straight out the box with any of these upgrades for the weekend plinker? Should I just calm down and take it easy and wait until the break-in period is over before I try to fix my problem? Let me know what you guys think. Thank you!
1st post : I have a problem

Welcome aboard the forum.

In the last week, Brownell's and Midway both have […]

Extra Magazines

I had issues finding factory mags too. But my CZ/ […]

New Canik Owner

"Haven't received the EC yet but looking […]