Freedomsmith-top2 canik-fanatic-ad-top3 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
By chetc
looking for s 9mm optics ready target pistol for my wife, recently she went thru some cancer after the chemo and rad treatments, it took a tool on her overall strength. so after we started shooting again she was having s hard time racking her 9mm semi's. so i get her a S&W shield 9mm EZ slide, no problems, i let her shoot my Canik TP9SFX it came with a Vortex optics, she is barley able to rack it but she gets by and she shoots it accurate, but i can see it is a big gun for her, i would tickled if the Shield EZ slide was available ready for optics, so now i am looking for some input a new 9mm semi to get her that is optics ready, she has a Walthers PPQ, so will probably trade it in on something else, so far been looking at the Glock 19 MOS and the canik tp9 ELITE sc, is there anything else that i can check out, i was thinking of that optics mount that goes in the rear sight dovetail on the EZ slide but i don't feel it would hold up.

thanks
chet
By qballbandit
Hello Chet,
I can't recommend a pistol off the top of my head that would match the "EZ", but I have my students who have weak hand strength try a couple of tricks to help improve the challenge of racking the slide. Pardon me if you have had her try these tips before, but figured I'd mention them.
First off, don't work with the arms extended in front, but in a compressed position - tucked to the chest. Have her push the gun while pulling the slide (of course, muzzle pointed in a safe direction, and finger off the trigger). The counteracting forced cut the chore in half, versus simply holding the gun and pulling the slide.
Second, some people find more strength when working their hands and arms side-to-side, versus in front of them. Turn sideways to the target area while keeping the gun pointed downrange at the target. Again, pull the arms in close to the chest and do the above push/pull method but side-to-side. (push pull left & right)
I hope one of these methods will make easier for her until you find the ultimate solution .

Best wishes,

Neil 8-)
By colonel00
qballbandit wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:35 pm Hello Chet,
I can't recommend a pistol off the top of my head that would match the "EZ", but I have my students who have weak hand strength try a couple of tricks to help improve the challenge of racking the slide. Pardon me if you have had her try these tips before, but figured I'd mention them.
First off, don't work with the arms extended in front, but in a compressed position - tucked to the chest. Have her push the gun while pulling the slide (of course, muzzle pointed in a safe direction, and finger off the trigger). The counteracting forced cut the chore in half, versus simply holding the gun and pulling the slide.
Second, some people find more strength when working their hands and arms side-to-side, versus in front of them. Turn sideways to the target area while keeping the gun pointed downrange at the target. Again, pull the arms in close to the chest and do the above push/pull method but side-to-side. (push pull left & right)
I hope one of these methods will make easier for her until you find the ultimate solution .

Best wishes,

Neil 8-)
Good points. My wife struggles at times and I had to help her with different techniques. While she does have a .380 EZ (which is pretty fun even for me) she has learned how to rack other guns. The issue she had was she was trying more to pull the slide back with her left hand instead of just holding the slide with the left and using the right to push the frame forward.
By qballbandit
Colonel00 - reading your reply I realized I used the word "gun" instead of "frame", which is proper. I should have used it as well. Shame on me :-S
By shovelmike
I recommend the TP9 Elite SC, a Romeo Zero attached directly to the slide. My wife has some trouble racking the slide, but the approach of pushing the frame while pulling back the slide helps.
I have the Elite SC. It's a great handgun and smaller than the SFX, but it's still wide. Has she handled the Elite SC at all? If the width isn't part of the size problem, disregard.

SCCY has an optic ready(and included) 9mm model.

I've also seen an optics ready Taurus G3C advertised recently.

I have no experience with either, just know they exist.
I admit Taurus has a spotty history, but the millennium G2, G2C, and G3C have had a good run without alot of problems and has undergone improvements through the different models.
By TL1000RSquid
They're getting better use to be the pt92 was only thing they made I'd even consider having, I have a pt111 which has been ok though was never in carry or night stand rotation, I've got 2 TX22's that have been fantastic, easily top 3 .22 pistols out there. But I still see to much negative stuff about QC to currently suggest one as a self defense gun maybe in a few more years. Kind of look at them like Hyundai or Kia 20 years ago getting better but wouldn't buy one yet.

Tulster IWB Profile Holsters https://www.idfhols[…]

New Fanatik from WV.

Welcome! SC, SF, and an SFx? Around here we call[…]

Red dots after eye surgery

I had cataract surgery on both eyes in November of[…]

So I almost bought some ammo...

Want last long... https://www.velocityammosales.[…]