Freedomsmith-top2 canik-fanatic-ad-top3 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
Discussion Section for All Off Topics Subjects.
By keltex78
So far, we've been fortunate and have only lost power twice so far, for a couple of hours each time. We are all-electric, living in an older mobile home, so the temps drop quickly. I've got a gas heater and a kerosene heater as a backup, but fuel is limited for those.

Pipes are frozen, so no running water. I filled a lot of jugs before the freeze though, so we are well supplied for now.

So how's everyone else faring?

Our Gov Abbott is has declared this an emergency and wants to investigate:

"“The Electric Reliability Council of Texas has been anything but reliable over the past 48 hours,” said Governor Abbott. “Far too many Texans are without power and heat for their homes as our state faces freezing temperatures and severe winter weather. This is unacceptable. Reviewing the preparations and decisions by ERCOT is an emergency item so we can get a full picture of what caused this problem and find long-term solutions."

Lessee... You shuttered fossil fuel power plants in favor of unreliable "green" power... :-W

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governo ... gency-item
By jgillaspy
Where I live in SATX we had rolling power outages 30 min on - 30 min off, dwindling down to 3 minutes, 3 off. Lost power completely last night around 6 pm and didn't have anything until 1 PM today. So far the power has stayed up.

JG
By buddyd157
keltex78 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:21 pm So far, we've been fortunate and have only lost power twice so far, for a couple of hours each time. We are all-electric, living in an older mobile home, so the temps drop quickly. I've got a gas heater and a kerosene heater as a backup, but fuel is limited for those.

Pipes are frozen, so no running water. I filled a lot of jugs before the freeze though, so we are well supplied for now.

So how's everyone else faring?

Our Gov Abbott is has declared this an emergency and wants to investigate:

"“The Electric Reliability Council of Texas has been anything but reliable over the past 48 hours,” said Governor Abbott. “Far too many Texans are without power and heat for their homes as our state faces freezing temperatures and severe winter weather. This is unacceptable. Reviewing the preparations and decisions by ERCOT is an emergency item so we can get a full picture of what caused this problem and find long-term solutions."

Lessee... You shuttered fossil fuel power plants in favor of unreliable "green" power... :-W

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governo ... gency-item
i hope the pipes do not burst.

up here in New England, when it's going to be sub-zero temps, we let the cold water trickle out of one, maybe two faucets. that keeps things flowing, especially at the inlet side of the water meter.

most homes up here, do not have a basement, that is heated, or very well insulated, so pipe freezing is an all too real, EXPENSIVE REPAIR....

in fact, while you were in the sub-zero temps down there?

it got up to 50 up here, but it's gonna get super cold again the next couple of days.
By ncjw
People Who Moved To Texas From California Finally Feeling At Home Now That Power Is Out

AUSTIN, TX—Thousands of people who escaped the desolate wasteland of California have found new opportunities by moving to Texas. To help them feel right at home, even the weather is extending some Texas hospitality by knocking out power stations-- giving the former Californians a taste of the blackouts they're used to.

"Ah... just like old Gavin Newsom used to do back in Cali," said local resident Alice Muggins while lighting candles around the house. "I just wasn't used to having electrical power all the time and it felt really weird. Now, it feels a little more like home!"

According to sources, former Californians are helping people in their Texas communities who have never experienced something like this before. From how to prepare food without electricity to how to use an emergency generator, the Californian immigrants to Texas have been instrumental in keeping their communities alive in the midst of the outages.

California Governor Gavin Newsom attempted to gloat in a Facebook Live post, but his phone died and he was unable to charge it due to a power outage.

https://babylonbee.com/news/people-who- ... wer-is-out
I'm just outside Houston on north side, monday had no power for about 24 hours(430am-4am) Yesterday powered stayed on for most of the day kicking on and off a few times in the evening night before kicking off again around 4am again, expected to be out all day again. Internet comes and goes too both home connection and cellphone connection comes and goes. Luckily I have a generator so I'm able to stay warm. Went out yesterday afternoon and other then gas stations and grocery store everythings shut down in town. Got low water pressure but still have water here too.

Hope everyone else is able to stay warm
Hello from UT

Welcome to the addiction. It won't be long until y[…]

Indeed, I spent a 30-year career in engineering. W[…]

Canik Fanatik Team

We don't have anything official, but we do have […]

TP9SF Elite Black

Ya, I'm less surprised by that than I am losing th[…]