Freedomsmith-top2 canik-fanatic-ad-top3 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
Curious what everyone is spending their money on these days since ammo is so scarce. I have enough guns (never enough, but you know) and ammo is difficult to find, so other than mags and spare parts, I'm probably actually saving money right now. I just can't get myself to keep investing in firearms at the moment till all they hype dies down and ammo prices return to an acceptable level. And, given all the b.s. legislation that's being proposed, it doesn't appear the ammo Gods will be smiling on us anytime soon.

What are you spending your money on these days? Still buying guns? Spare parts and accessories? Other hobbies and interests? Alternative self defense weapons?

I've been looking at a lot more knives online lately. I might buy a couple I've been looking at for awhile.
Need to start spending it on more 10rd mags, that's for sure!
Just bought a Springfield Saint Victor. Will shop for a few mags for that soon.
Really want my own Elite SC. The more I shoot my wife's, the more I want my own with a Dot mounted on it.

Neil 8-)
Gun related purchases made in the last couple months have mostly been misc spare parts, springs, extractors, firing pins, guide rods, wear and tear items for both pistols and rifles. Some mags even though I'm pretty good on them they could be good trade items in the future and hard to pass up 6.99 ar and 7.99 ak mags when Global had them in stock. 2 P80 G19 kits, and a couple budget/mid tier red dots and scopes.

Been downloading bunch of CAD files and thinking about getting a 3d printer.

Been thinking about starting a project car but haven't narrowed down what I want to do yet.
Late last year I bought a few P80's for my winter tinkering project and learned a lot about Glocks. Now that is mostly complete, I have a couple of fairly reliable 9mm pistols (with connector/spring kit upgrades) that are not as accurate as my Caniks and have better than stock Glock triggers but not as good as my Caniks and cost a little bit more than their counterpart Glock models but a lot more than what I paid for my Caniks. Not sure if that was worth the cost but it did use up a bunch of lockdown hours. Pretty much paid for from the savings of not going out to eat and the reduction in the wife's mall shopping.

At this point, we are not spending. Pretty much everything is going into savings so that when this market bubble bursts we can take advantage of it and buy stocks cheap again. I am also looking to buy a lot more gold this year. I feel that preservation of buying power is going to be a big deal in the near future.

FWIW, this is from the perspective of someone who is old and will be retiring sometime in the next month or two or year or two, depending on when I just get fed up. After a lifetime of savings and living below our means, we aren't in bad shape. It is not meant to be general advice.
Aside from my Elite SC, guns are not on the radar right now. Why buy more when I can't feed the ones I have. I have been picking up some AR parts and tools here and there. No real plans. I may modify what I have or eventually build an upper, but time will tell.

I skate board, so I'm always buying the consumable parts like decks, bushings, and bearings.
ShooterMcGavin wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:53 pm Aside from my Elite SC, guns are not on the radar right now. Why buy more when I can't feed the ones I have. I have been picking up some AR parts and tools here and there. No real plans. I may modify what I have or eventually build an upper, but time will tell.

I skate board, so I'm always buying the consumable parts like decks, bushings, and bearings.
That's pretty much how I feel. At this point, why buy something I won't be able to feed. I have a stash of ammo, but I already have enough guns to feed. Will have to see how this all plays out.
Right now the only "Gun" related thing I am working on buying is a set of Kevlar Body Armor... I purchased a set of AR500 steel plates with carrier last month but the darn thing weighed as much as me and didn't cover as much as I would have liked so I got lucky and was able to sell it for what I paid for it... I found a new lightweight set which I will be purchasing within the next week or so.. Also and only if the price is right I'm still buying some 22lr. I'm sitting on about 12K rounds of the stuff, but I don't see 9mm going down in price anytime in the near future, so I'm mostly just shooting 22 nowadays.

What I have been spending money on is Jeep upgrades and towing accessories... Long story but short version is we purchased a Motorhome early last year. Realized very quickly that we needed a Toad so that we weren't stuck at the campsite all weekend without a vehicle... I found a beautiful 2016 Jeep Willys model Wrangler. Perfect shape but all factory.. So of course I needed a new front bumper, new soft top, seat covers, and just all kinds of interior mods to make it my own... I'm probably going to upgrade the radio to a full apple car play with Screen, etc... I've also had to purchase a new tow bar and brake system... And let me tell you.. that stuff is expensive... The brake system alone was over $1100.00.

So that's what I've been spending my $$ on instead of firearm related stuff this year..
As much as I wanted to shy away from guns right now, I just received a micro low-pro gas block, have an upper and lower vice block, rifle length has tube, barrel wrench, and upper receiver on their way....gonna add an 18"-24" 223 Wylde to that soon. I have a 16" carbine....love it, don't want to change it, looking at adding a rifle length upper to co-exist with it.
Probably should be a different thread, but don't believe what you read about twist rates. A 1:9 twist will stabilize a 77gr bullet in a 24" barrel. My 24" Varminter shoots lights out with either 55gr or 77gr factory or reloaded rounds.

It's just one data point, but it makes sense as the extra length allows the bullet more time to stabilize.
I'm spending money on guns I can't comfortably use! Because of so few pistols in shops to "try",I went ahead and bought a new HK VP-9 L-Optics Ready model. Long story short, it's not staying. Remains unfired and I even have a new HK 30 Round Mag on the way to add to the 3- 20 rounders it came with! A new Canik Elite Combat, is probably what I need for my wrecked hands. I'm open to offers.
Last edited by CMB on Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CMB wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:15 am I'm spending money on guns I can't comfortably use! Because of so few pistols in shops to "try",I went ahead and bought a new HK VP-9 L-Optics Ready model. Long story short, it's not staying. Remains unfired and I even have a new HK 30 Round Mag on the way to add to the 3- 20 rounders it came with! A new Canik Elite Comcat, is probably what I need for my wrecked hands. I'm open to offers.
Send you a PM. That one has been on my list for a bit.
Removing sights from Canik

Good question..waiting also

Hello from UT

Welcome from Az.

JUST JOINED TODAY

Welcome from Az.

Taurus G3C

i too have the Taurus G3c, got it last summer, for[…]