Freedomsmith-top2 canik-fanatic-ad-top3 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
Discussion Section for Ammunition, Reloading and Handloading.
I think brass prep is a great idea. I just started tooling for small batch rifle reloading right before Covid struck. I bought a single stage so I could learn the process slow and steady. I figured I could eventually tool up for volume(380acp/9mm/5.56), but my timing was unfortunate. I have lots of brass for all kinds of calibers, but only powder, primers, and bullets for 35 Remington.

Firearms as a hobby is tough right now. I look for tools and parts mostly. Really helps to have been into this stuff long enough to know how inflated prices are. I couldn't imagine going into all of this without a frame of reference.
Stopped by Sheel's again. They had a bunch of Winchester 124gr (not NATO) for $30/box. Not even touching that. Plenty of others were loading up on their limit of 200 rounds though. It has to get to a point where people stop paying these silly prices before the prices come back down. On the bright side they had a Canik Elite 15 round mag just sitting by the magazines for $20 so I did grab that :disappointed:

LT USN (Ret.) wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:24 pm
Janik wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:59 pm do you continue to purchase ammo at inflated prices?
No, I will not purchase at these inflated prices. But that is a qualified answer.

I have plenty of self-defense ammo in hand and I handload. I'm currently only loading competition rounds but loading self-defense ammo just basically requires an increase in powder and a different bullet.

What happens if I run out of components and the only ammo available is north of $0.75 per round? I'm guessing I would be forced to buy. Or, I could carry an AR or 9mm carbine with me in public.

That sounds interesting.
Just dropped all notifications from Target Sports USA. I had signed up for text and email for the last two months. They average about one delivery every couple of days but when you click the notification they are typically already sold out. Occasionally they get a pallet of something that is still in stock when you click.

However, the prices for the ammo that I am interested in (9mm, 45acp, .223 and 6.5CM) continue to be ridiculous. Just saw some 6.5CM hunting ammo for $57/20. It is cheaper to go buy a bunch of steaks then shoot a deer...
ncjw wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:06 pm Just dropped all notifications from Target Sports USA. I had signed up for text and email for the last two months. They average about one delivery every couple of days but when you click the notification they are typically already sold out. Occasionally they get a pallet of something that is still in stock when you click.

However, the prices for the ammo that I am interested in (9mm, 45acp, .223 and 6.5CM) continue to be ridiculous. Just saw some 6.5CM hunting ammo for $57/20. It is cheaper to go buy a bunch of steaks then shoot a deer...
Yeah, I'm not too happy with them either. My membership just renewed back in December I think and I'm regretting it already. It's ridiculous that places can have decent prices still and they are out of stock all the time and expensive. Thought about complaining for a refund or suspension on my membership until they get things in order.
I can find it, look up 3 posts. The biggest problem, as much as I hate to say it, is capitalism. People are willing to pay the prices that sellers are charging now. We cannot hate the concept of capitalism now and we must wait until the demand drives the prices down again. As weird as it sounds and as annoyed as we are, this is honestly the best part of our country at work. Yeah, it sucks that supply is low and demand is high and prices have risen. However, eventually it will level out
colonel00 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:49 am I can find it, look up 3 posts. The biggest problem, as much as I hate to say it, is capitalism. People are willing to pay the prices that sellers are charging now. We cannot hate the concept of capitalism now and we must wait until the lack of demand drives the prices down again. As weird as it sounds and as annoyed as we are, this is honestly the best part of our country at work. Yeah, it sucks that supply is low and demand is high and prices have risen. However, eventually it will level out
Janik wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:59 pm The other day I did order some bullets for reloading, and thankfully not too expensive. Primers are the big issue. I've got plenty of self defense ammo, so I'm reloading for the range. But I've seriously cut back on my range sessions. Shooting a lot more 22lr these days.
Lucky You!!!

I am only shooting 9mm these days, because my stock pile of 9mm components for reloading ate still pretty good and I have been able to keep my supply up. What caught me off guard was how hard it would be to keep shooting 22LR.

They say this shortage is due more to the large number of new gun owners and people stocking up, and that ammo manufacturers are producing record amounts but that still isn't enough to keep ammo on the shelves. 22LR is the most common caliber, so finding 22LR has been very hard, and paying .25 to .30 a round for 22LR is even harder for me. I bought a bucket of 1200 rounds of Remington golden bullets last spring for $60 so I could extend my range trips by shooting some 22LR every now and then. Now I have only about 400 rounds of 22LR and when I can find some, it cost more than it cost me to make 9mm.
The weather absolutely sucks here so I went to the local indoor range for the first time in probably six months.

They are charging $34/box of IMI 9mm. They claimed that they are paying $33/box and only selling it at a dollar profit to keep the range fees coming in, so IMI and the distributor are making all of the "windfall" profits. They said that the traffic is down considerably since the post Christmas rush and that ammo prices are the only reason that they are hearing for the slowdown.

They said that the IMI rep said that their estimate is a year before it gets back to normal.

FWIW.
I went to a gun show in Louisville this weekend. Very few new guns, mostly old beat -up antiques, rusted, stocks all banged up, and insane prices for them. I did fins one dealer selling new guns, and he actually had a Canik TP9SFX, for only $580. Add that to the $10 for parking, and $15 to get in. Quite a bit of ammo was available, 1,000 rounds of 115 gr 9mm FMJ was only $900, and .223 FMJ ammo was $1 a shot.

I had a AR-15 and sold it last year, and while going through my stuff, and finally organizing some of it, I found five boxes of 200 round Federal .223 FMJ, all new and sealed in the box. I took it to the show, saw the insane prices, and held up a sign, I sold it for .50 a round=$100 a box. And I limited it to one box a person, 15 minutes later I was sold out to say the least. I even had people offering me MORE money if I sold them all 1,000 rounds, tempting as it was, I held my ground. I made a little money, but I can sleep at night.
colonel00 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:43 pm Stopped by Sheel's again. They had a bunch of Winchester 124gr (not NATO) for $30/box. Not even touching that. Plenty of others were loading up on their limit of 200 rounds though. It has to get to a point where people stop paying these silly prices before the prices come back down. On the bright side they had a Canik Elite 15 round mag just sitting by the magazines for $20 so I did grab that :disappointed:

I'm paying $35/box of (50)Blazer brass 115 gr FMJ, I would love to get some of this ammo to break my new SFX in! WE don't have any around here.
Ammo Update: Scheel's is still the best place to check if you can. I was in Sandy, UT (Salt Lake City) yesterday and stopped by the store there. They had 2 guys putting out ammo all evening. They had Blazer and Remington 115gr for $17 a box. I also got a couple boxes of Fiocchi defensive JHP for $20/box. Don't know anything about the rounds or how they perform but for $20 for 50 rounds I couldn't pass. Also picked up a couple boxes of 5.7x28 Speer Gold Dot. Those stung a bit at $42/box but that really isn't much more than pre-panic.

Also, I'll add that the folks at Scheel's seem to be the most pleasant. Don't hesitate to ask them if they have anything in the back (without being rude). At least at this store, they had quite a bit that they'd go back and get for people like the 5.7 I grabbed as it wasn't on the shelves.

Hello from UT

Welcome to the addiction. It won't be long until y[…]

Indeed, I spent a 30-year career in engineering. W[…]

Canik Fanatik Team

We don't have anything official, but we do have […]

TP9SF Elite Black

Ya, I'm less surprised by that than I am losing th[…]