swampfox Canik-Gear-Banner2 canik-fanatic-ad-top3
Unanswered topics Active topics
General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
My carry gun died today. Ruger LC9s. Just stopped firing. I don’t know why and I’ll probably have to send off to ruger to fix. But I won’t carry it after this. So I’m trying to decide between the sig or smith. Both have pro’s and con’s, one issue is $375.00 for the smith or $550.00 for the sig. but since my decision Is for my EDC, price isn’t the biggest concern.
By Janik
I had a Shield in 40cal once, and it was a great shooter and never a problem. Only reason I got rid of it is because I no longer shoot 40. I'm probably one of the only few people on the planet who have little to no interest in the Sig 365. Not saying it's a bad gun, lot's of people own them and are happy. Do you have a range near by where you can rent both of them and put some rounds down range?
I've shot both before and I liked both of them..... If I were to go with the Sig, I would get the 365 MS model.... That's the one with the ambi-saftey as I am left handed.. Even though I only place my carry gun on safe when holstering... Other than that it's one in the pipe and no safety... Right now, the only advantage (for me) is that the Sig carries more rounds, but the Shield is about $200.00 cheaper... Both have good reputations so I would be comfortable with either.....
FiteNess wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:50 am Image

This version has unlimited ammo and is very easy to conceal! Pew pew!
Dang, you're right... I had that model growing up. Most accurate gun I ever had... Couldn't miss.. :YMCOWBOY:
By oldfrank
I had both. I carried the Shield for a good while and I really liked it. I kept it for a long time after I got a 365 and the Shield still felt a little better in my hand but the extra ammo capaacity pushed me to the 365 for every day carry.
The world is getting crazier and crazier and 11 rounds of good defensive ammo in a small package is hard to beat.

My 365 has been 100% reliable since day one and I have done nothing to it which in itself is unusual for me!
By keltex78
My experience with my .45ACP Shield was less than overwhelming. Had an issue where the trigger stop would get stuck with a live round chambered and the trigger in the rear position from the recoil. Did this on about every other round, had to ship it back to S&W with only 10 rounds fired through the pistol.

Wasn't happy with the service I received when I shipped the pistol back either. After about a month's delay, I got my pistol back with a note saying the trigger had been replaced. It hadn't. I had made an inconspicuous marking on the trigger that was still present. The ONLY change that was made: the hump for the trigger stop on the back of the trigger had been sanded off. I could even see the burr marks from the process.

Now, the pistol fires, but the trigger will over-travel, allowing the trigger bar to slip off the rear internal stop.

I am really discouraged from purchasing further S&W pistols based on my experience.
Yea.. I'm still not sure yet... Always going to get good and bad with any model...... There is a gun show in a few weeks.. I may wait and look around.. I at least have my little pocket .380 until then...
Got the Wife a P365, she's put about 400 rounds through it so far with no issues. I have to say, I think it's a really nice little gun. Shoots great, conceals easily, and the night sights it comes with more than make up for 100 buck's of the price difference. Never was a fan of the Shield - nothing wrong with it - just doesn't fit my hands well. That being said, I think someone with very large hands might have issues with the 365.
Well.. Decision Made....

Appreciate everones imputs.. I drove up to Academy and they had the 365, SW 1.0 and 2.0... I tried all of them and walked out with the S&W 1.0. It fit my hands the best and felt the best..... It's a tried and true platform as well... Does it have the best trigger,, no.... Will I notice that trigger if I ever have to pull it out in a defensive situation... No.... But it sure beats my Ruger LC9s in terms of better grips, larger capacity and hopefully won't fail me at a critical time.....
LucaBrasi wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:11 pm .. someone with very large hands might have issues with the 365.
For me and my P365 this is my second and only other complaint (with those 10 round magazines, loading them is a bear being my primary complaint).
Another timely coincidence! Not even an hour ago, we were fondling the 365 xl. We like the flat trigger, and the 3.7 inch barrel, and larger undercut. Reason - need a compact size 9mm gun for my wife, and it really fits the bill. Still very easy to conceal at that size, and easy to take the chassis out to clean, which for my large hands and a smaller gun, is a great thing.
Kind of cool story how Sig built the mag first, then designed the gun around it.
I was looking a the .45 Scorpion, but that's another story :P

I've heard much good, and not much bad about this line.

Neil 8-)
By Bgw45
I had a thing with Sig until I rented a 365. I think it is a great pocket option. I use an inexpensive pocket holster and keep my finger off the bang switch till it's on target. Softer recoil than my kahr cm9 along with a trigger I much prefer. Totally reliable at this point. Not going back, keeping the Sig.
Tejas Products wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:53 pm My carry gun died today. Ruger LC9s. Just stopped firing. I don’t know why and I’ll probably have to send off to ruger to fix. But I won’t carry it after this. So I’m trying to decide between the sig or smith. Both have pro’s and con’s, one issue is $375.00 for the smith or $550.00 for the sig. but since my decision Is for my EDC, price isn’t the biggest concern.
OK... I gotta ask... how does a carry gun "die"...? LOL Pretty much every part is replaceable, no?
Lthrnck1775 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:58 pm
Tejas Products wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:53 pm My carry gun died today. Ruger LC9s. Just stopped firing. I don’t know why and I’ll probably have to send off to ruger to fix. But I won’t carry it after this. So I’m trying to decide between the sig or smith. Both have pro’s and con’s, one issue is $375.00 for the smith or $550.00 for the sig. but since my decision Is for my EDC, price isn’t the biggest concern.
OK... I gotta ask... how does a carry gun "die"...? LOL Pretty much every part is replaceable, no?
3 weeks ago I took it to the range, pulled it from the holster and fired.... Ran about 4 mags worth of ammo through it.... Brought it home, cleaned it and put it back in the holster... Went back to the range, pulled it out of the holster and nothing... I pull the trigger and it went all the way back without engaging the firing pin.. Almost like it wasn't even cocked.... Tried it several times with no fix... Brought it home did a quick field strip and only thing I could see was that the firing pin was just peeking out of it's chamber... I'm leaning towards a broken firing pin.... I was able to get it to work after every 5 or 10 times I racked the slide.... Ruger does not recommend breaking it down any further and I'm no gunsmith.. So I called Ruger and they said it sounded like a factory defect and so I've sent it in.. Received an email that they received it on Friday.... This gun only has around 300 rounds through it.. I would have more, but it's a bear to shoot.. Hurt's my hand after a box of ammo....

It has broken my confidence in it as a carry gun... Even if they fix the problem it's still going to be sold... I've been wanting to upgrade to the Shield anyway as it is a much easier gun to fire and it holds more rounds... This just gave me a good excuse..... I already have over 200 rounds through the Shield and so far I'm quite happy.....
Tejas Products wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:34 pm
Lthrnck1775 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:58 pm
3 weeks ago I took it to the range, pulled it from the holster and fired.... Ran about 4 mags worth of ammo through it.... Brought it home, cleaned it and put it back in the holster... Went back to the range, pulled it out of the holster and nothing... I pull the trigger and it went all the way back without engaging the firing pin.. Almost like it wasn't even cocked.... Tried it several times with no fix... Brought it home did a quick field strip and only thing I could see was that the firing pin was just peeking out of it's chamber... I'm leaning towards a broken firing pin.... I was able to get it to work after every 5 or 10 times I racked the slide.... Ruger does not recommend breaking it down any further and I'm no gunsmith.. So I called Ruger and they said it sounded like a factory defect and so I've sent it in.. Received an email that they received it on Friday.... This gun only has around 300 rounds through it.. I would have more, but it's a bear to shoot.. Hurt's my hand after a box of ammo....

It has broken my confidence in it as a carry gun... Even if they fix the problem it's still going to be sold... I've been wanting to upgrade to the Shield anyway as it is a much easier gun to fire and it holds more rounds... This just gave me a good excuse..... I already have over 200 rounds through the Shield and so far I'm quite happy.....
Wow... did not know that it was difficult to tear down. I expect everything to come apart like a 1911 ! haha

You're right, a broken part (defect) at a few hundred rounds would be scary for a EDC gun! I have a Ruger LCP - which has a terrible magazine design/fit. You gotta seat it perfectly. So I got a M&P .380 Bodyguard (plus that has external safety). Both suck to shoot much, but its not a range gun. :)
Extra Magazines

Just to be clear, those are sleeves over longer ma[…]

I would suggest that the Vortex is causing the iss[…]

New From Idaho

Welcome aboard the forum

New canik owner

Welcome aboard the forum and thank you for what yo[…]