The forum will be down Sunday November 18th starting at 6pm for maintenance.

Changing Front Sight on Elite Combat

Modifications, Tutorials, Gunsmithing, Instructional and "How To" articles, write ups and videos.
GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Changing Front Sight on Elite Combat

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:01 pm

Hey guys...I installed a Vortex Venom 3 moa on my Combat and really happy with it. I'd like to change the front sight and create a 1/3 co-witness with the dot. I'm planning on using the "white bars" on the rear of the optic as a rear iron and getting the front sight to post just on top of the flat of the rear. Top of the rear optic is 11/32" (0.34375") off the slide.

Planning on getting a Dawson 0.430 height sight...
https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-prec ... nt-sights/
Going to give Dawson a call tomorrow to see if the 0.43" height is the center of the fiber or top of the sight itself.
If nothing else I can mill the top to get the height I desire. I plan on removing the fiber anyways.

Question is when removing the front sight...do you push it out towards the ejection port side or the other direction?
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Re: Changing Front Sight on Elite Combat

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:50 pm

FYI...

I got a response back from Bob Pittman at Century Arms. He stated the front sight should be pressed out towards the ejection port side.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:05 pm

That useful bit of information should be a sticky.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:43 am

Seeing I have a SF Elite, I decided to see how easy/difficult it would be to remove the front sight. I have a Wheeler Sight Press which has worked well with other handguns, but I was a little concerned with the taper of the Elite slide. There is actually only about 1/4" of material on the lower part of the slide that comes into contact with the clamps on the press. I lined the front sight up with the pusher and started putting pressure on the sight to move it. As I thought, the slide was twisting in the press. Once that happens there's no way the sight will move. I decided to try using a punch and hammer to see if I could get the sight to move. It did and once started, it moved without any issues.

To put the sight back in I decided to use the press and put the pusher low enough to push on the dovetail blade of the sight. I then pushed it in and then raised the height of the pusher so it would clear the top of the slide. The sight pressed in with firm pressure. I probably could have used the press to remove the sight once I initially got the sight to move.

At least now I feel comfortable getting the sight off the Combat. The new Dawson sight should be here tomorrow.
0 x