Changing Front Sight on Elite Combat

Modifications, Tutorials, Gunsmithing, Instructional and "How To" articles, write ups and videos.
GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Changing Front Sight on Elite Combat

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:01 pm

Hey guys...I installed a Vortex Venom 3 moa on my Combat and really happy with it. I'd like to change the front sight and create a 1/3 co-witness with the dot. I'm planning on using the "white bars" on the rear of the optic as a rear iron and getting the front sight to post just on top of the flat of the rear. Top of the rear optic is 11/32" (0.34375") off the slide.

Planning on getting a Dawson 0.430 height sight...
https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-prec ... nt-sights/
Going to give Dawson a call tomorrow to see if the 0.43" height is the center of the fiber or top of the sight itself.
If nothing else I can mill the top to get the height I desire. I plan on removing the fiber anyways.

Question is when removing the front sight...do you push it out towards the ejection port side or the other direction?
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Re: Changing Front Sight on Elite Combat

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:50 pm

FYI...

I got a response back from Bob Pittman at Century Arms. He stated the front sight should be pressed out towards the ejection port side.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:05 pm

That useful bit of information should be a sticky.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:43 am

Seeing I have a SF Elite, I decided to see how easy/difficult it would be to remove the front sight. I have a Wheeler Sight Press which has worked well with other handguns, but I was a little concerned with the taper of the Elite slide. There is actually only about 1/4" of material on the lower part of the slide that comes into contact with the clamps on the press. I lined the front sight up with the pusher and started putting pressure on the sight to move it. As I thought, the slide was twisting in the press. Once that happens there's no way the sight will move. I decided to try using a punch and hammer to see if I could get the sight to move. It did and once started, it moved without any issues.

To put the sight back in I decided to use the press and put the pusher low enough to push on the dovetail blade of the sight. I then pushed it in and then raised the height of the pusher so it would clear the top of the slide. The sight pressed in with firm pressure. I probably could have used the press to remove the sight once I initially got the sight to move.

At least now I feel comfortable getting the sight off the Combat. The new Dawson sight should be here tomorrow.
1 x