Canik TP9 Series Modifications and Upgrades

Modifications, Tutorials, Gunsmithing, Instructional and "How To" articles, write ups and videos.
Weapon
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 005

Re: Canik TP9 Series Modifications and Upgrades

Post by Weapon » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:08 pm

erh300 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:15 pm
Weapon, I've been debating doing a grip chop on my V2 to match my Elite. Haven't been able to get up the gumption to do it yet. Do you have any experience with this? Thanks.
I have been toying with the same idea for quite some time. Cut to the length of the Elite, the bottom of the grip would be fairly close to the pin hole for securing the back strap but I think it would still be possible to trim it down.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599
CF Member: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:25 pm

Weapon wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:08 pm
I have been toying with the same idea for quite some time
Why?
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage

Weapon
Global Moderator

Post by Weapon » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:50 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:25 pm
Weapon wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:08 pm
I have been toying with the same idea for quite some time
Why?
Too many other projects on the bench. I compared my V2 to my Elite one day and broke out the dial calipers for some measurements. It looks like it could be done. The only complications would be cutting it to the exact length and then the backstrap pin hole.

As for cutting it, I would likely cut it 2-3mm longer than needed and then use either a file or sander to carefully take it down to final length and shape it as needed.

Hmm. I will pull them back out and eyeball them again.
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Weapon wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:50 pm
Measure twice, cut once. No go backies...
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage

Weapon
Global Moderator

Post by Weapon » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:56 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:12 pm
Weapon wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:50 pm
Measure twice, cut once. No go backies...
But you can always make it shorter and use Taurus 10 or 12 round mags like that’s what you planned in the first place. 😂 yeah - the possibility of a big oopsie is what keeps people from trying grip shortening most of the time. Well, that and it requires quite a bit of shaping and smoothing to make it look good after the cut.

Work has sucked up the majority of my time the last couple weeks but I will get some more stuff added to this thread soon as a few ideas popped into my head and they are not going to go away until I test them. 😁
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:49 pm

Weapon wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:56 pm
Work has sucked up the majority of my time the last couple weeks
What is this "work" you talk about?
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage

Weapon
Global Moderator

Post by Weapon » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:04 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:49 pm
Weapon wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:56 pm
Work has sucked up the majority of my time the last couple weeks
What is this "work" you talk about?
It's that really annoying bullshit that funds all of my crazy ideas but which also acts like a constant wrench in my gears as it requires all kinds of preparation and court appearances... Maybe I need to start a gofundme or patreon page?? :lol:
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:40 am

Weapon wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:04 am
It's that really annoying bull$h!t that funds all of my crazy ideas
17 months.... I work no more... Never... Ever... ~O)
3 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:05 am

[/quote]17 months.... I work no more... Never... Ever... ~O)
[/quote]

Congrats...BTW...you suck (says a jealous Badgerboy). ^:)^
1 x
It just goes to show...wherever you go, there you are! :-?

smithp47

Post by smithp47 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:28 pm

This is the exact forum I've been looking for! I have 2- TP9 SA's that each have around 8k through them and other than no consistent slide lock, when running less than NATO 124, they are my go to fun gun at the range. Running with a Venom mounted on Springer precision CZ dovetail mount, all internals polished, stippled frame, RSA cut 3 coils. Still has all factory springs. got the desert tan and the black so i could switch slides for the 2 tone look. At $325 each, why not! I know most of the thread is based on the TP9SFX but want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction here as i need to freshen them up.
Just ordered:
Freedomsmith flat trigger
Ghost 6.5lb sriker spring
Ghost Glock 17 reduced power plunger spring

My question for Weapon, as you have shown you are the Canik guru, is on a replacement RSA for the TP9 SA. Above you listed a few different uncaptured Sig guide rod options paired with the Wolff 16lb spring. What have you found is the best all around replacement combo for the TP9SA that would be drop in ready? Shooting reloaded 147gr rn loaded with 3.5gr universal. Loads aren't hot and are super consistent. 2" groups at 15yds. This is probably beating a dead horse for you, but want to make sure I get this right before I pull the trigger{ no pun intended}!

Been using a built glock 17 for local IDPA but really want to give my Canik a go at it, now that they have a carry optic division
0 x

erh300

Post by erh300 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:06 pm

Is there a video that shows how to replace the trigger return spring on an Elite? I want to try the Glock trs trick to try and increase the trigger pull on my Elite. It seems scary light sometimes.
0 x

Weapon
Global Moderator

Post by Weapon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:24 am

smithp47 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:28 pm
My question for Weapon, as you have shown you are the Canik guru, is on a replacement RSA for the TP9 SA. Above you listed a few different uncaptured Sig guide rod options paired with the Wolff 16lb spring. What have you found is the best all around replacement combo for the TP9SA that would be drop in ready? Shooting reloaded 147gr rn loaded with 3.5gr universal. Loads aren't hot and are super consistent. 2" groups at 15yds. This is probably beating a dead horse for you, but want to make sure I get this right before I pull the trigger{ no pun intended}

Been using a built glock 17 for local IDPA but really want to give my Canik a go at it, now that they have a carry optic division
First, sorry for the delayed response - work took me out for awhile.

147gr with 3.5gr of Universal? What is your COAL with that load? According to my load data, 3.5gr of Universal is at or over max load depending on load length and whether that is a TMJ, FMJ or LRN. Obviously, published load data is sometimes conservative but I think the factory RSA would run that with no problem. Most of the guys who are running reduced power springs are doing so for carry optic where we are running relatively light loads (128-130 power factor or 147gr @ 870-884fps). Based on my rough guesstimate, your 147gr load should be moving ~924-969fps (depending on bullet and load length) - that would be a 135-142pf range.

I will have to nab my brother’s SA to verify but a Glock tungsten guide rod (standard length) might be your best bet with around a 13-15lb spring depending on how you want your slide movement. The Sig guide rod with a 16lb spring would also likely work but might require a minor trim. I will try to check that this weekend.
0 x

Hank B

Post by Hank B » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:15 am

Who do I contact to get the newest RSA, Century Arms? Also is it free or do you have to pay for it?
0 x

ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:33 am

Contact Century Arms through their website (don't go through Canik USA's website). Let them know the problems you are having and they send you a free RSA. Just got mine yesterday, took less than a week.
0 x

ScoobyDoo

Re: FS Trigger increased pull weight - fixed

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Weapon wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:51 pm
In the pic, a factory trigger return spring and a no 1 or no 2 split ring on the end of a pick (I forget which as I tried 4 of them - the one that is almost the same diameter as the loop on the end of the spring is the correct size. I simply put the small split ring on the loop end of the spring that connects to the trigger bar. It adds back just enough length to relax the trigger return spring to its original tension with the FS trigger installed. A pack of six split rings is about 60 cents but you can likely swipe one off of a smaller inline spinner if you are a fisherman.
What is the minimum amount of disassembly I can get away with to install this fix? I just put the gun back together from the FS trigger swap and would like to avoid having to remove the pin through the take down tabs again if possible but I fear I need to do the complete takedown necessary to remove the trigger to get the spring off and the split ring on. Thoughts?
0 x

Weapon
Global Moderator

Re: FS Trigger increased pull weight - fixed

Post by Weapon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:43 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm
Weapon wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:51 pm
In the pic, a factory trigger return spring and a no 1 or no 2 split ring on the end of a pick (I forget which as I tried 4 of them - the one that is almost the same diameter as the loop on the end of the spring is the correct size. I simply put the small split ring on the loop end of the spring that connects to the trigger bar. It adds back just enough length to relax the trigger return spring to its original tension with the FS trigger installed. A pack of six split rings is about 60 cents but you can likely swipe one off of a smaller inline spinner if you are a fisherman.
What is the minimum amount of disassembly I can get away with to install this fix? I just put the gun back together from the FS trigger swap and would like to avoid having to remove the pin through the take down tabs again if possible but I fear I need to do the complete takedown necessary to remove the trigger to get the spring off and the split ring on. Thoughts?
The easiest way to do it is to drive out the pin that holds in the ejector block, lift the ejector block up just slightly (enough to where you can get the trigger bar hook up enough to allow the trigger return spring to slip off the hook on the trigger bar), then pull the trigger return spring off the ejector block. From there, you just put the split ring on the loop end of the trigger return spring and then reinstall it just like you would the trigger return spring but with the split ring as the new loop end of the spring. Once you have the hook end of the trigger return spring back on the front of the ejector block and the loop end (split ring) on the trigger bar hook, you just push the ejector block back down into the frame and drive the roll pin back in place.
0 x

ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Thanks Weapon! Your posts have been incredibly helpful.
1 x

Hank B

Post by Hank B » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:05 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:33 am
Contact Century Arms through their website (don't go through Canik USA's website). Let them know the problems you are having and they send you a free RSA. Just got mine yesterday, took less than a week.
I appreciate the information Scooby. Question for anyone, are there a noticeable difference between the original RSA and the latest version?
0 x

Weapon
Global Moderator

Post by Weapon » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:33 am

Hank B wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:05 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:33 am
I appreciate the information Scooby. Question for anyone, are there a noticeable difference between the original RSA and the latest version?
If your original rsa is one of the older ones from the first run of almost any model (possible exceptions SA, V2) then the new blue marked RSA will be noticeably lighter. It won’t feel like it right a first because, typically, you are comparing a new blue RSA to a broken in older RSA but when the blue marked RSA has even a little bit of break in, it will be pretty obvious. When you compare the old one with the new one when both have the same number of rounds on them, the newer RSA is considerably less stout. If you back track several posts to the one on pulling apart the factory RSA for polishing, that is a large improvement for either RSA.
0 x

Hank B

Post by Hank B » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:17 am

Thanks Weapon again your knowledge on the Canik is greatly appreciated. I had swapped the original RSA for a King Glock gen.3 to gen.4 conversion kit with an 11lb. spring which I found was way to week. I'm ordering an 18lb spring for it soon. I keep playing around with different spring configurations until I find the right combination. I've had no problem with the 6.5 lb Ghost striker spring yet but I'm going a little stiffer. Despite it's size I'm determined to turn my SFX into an EDC. Any info is always welcome.
0 x