The forum will be down Sunday November 18th starting at 6pm for maintenance.

Striker or Hammer for Conceal Carry?

Discussion section for Everyday Carry items, Preparedness and Self Defense, including Knives, Packs, Filtration Systems, Bushcraft, etc.
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Striker or Hammer for Conceal Carry?

Post by Janik » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:17 am

I see this debate often on other gun forums, so I figure it might be a good topic of discussion here. Since Canik doesn't offer something in my preferred carry size, I typically CC my Walther P99c. It is a striker fired, but it is also a DA/SA, just like the Canik V2 and DA models. This discussion isn't meant to imply one is better than the other, but to see what other members preferences are. I grew up with hammer fired DA/SA handguns, so I'm very comfortable carrying one. In the winter time I'll carry my V2 or DA when I can conceal with more clothing. Otherwise, I typically carry my P99c IWB. More recently, I purchased a CZ P07 and it's a great shooter. I can see carrying it this winter on occasion. Anyway, this isn't meant to imply hammer or striker is a better option, I'm just curious what people carry given Caniks limited offerings in the conceal carry market. But, I'm also genuinely curious how many people in this day and age are still interested in the DA/SA platform.
0 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Re: Striker or Hammer for Conceal Carry?

Post by higgybaby » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:29 am

Usually hammer fired for me....and it's usually one of the Bersa T380's. Occasionally the striker fired Kahr CT380 or a CW9 in the warmer months. (almost always IWB)
However....since it was 57 outside this a.m. I'm gonna pull out my C-100 later on and give it a go. I have a nice leather snap scabbard (UBG Regulator) to tote it in. Also out comes the old Sig 228 and a DA. (always OWB)
1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:34 am

higgybaby wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:29 am
Usually hammer fired for me....and it's usually one of the Bersa T380's
I keep saying I'm going to get a Bersa 380 one of these days. I've read a lot of good reviews on them. I'm also interested in their 9mm version they offer. I think it's the TPR9c if I remember correctly with a 3.3" barrel.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:18 am

I've seen some pretty heated debates on this subject from many different forums, however the end is "whatever your most comfortable with". In that I 100% agree. I've seen posts ranging from a .22 derringer to a full sized 6" 357 magnum....

I'll give you my journey. I've been Texas CHL (LTC now) for about a year. I started out with the Bersa 380 as well IWB... Safety has always been my number one concern when carrying.. But as time went on, I switched over to a Ruger LC9s. 3 reasons for this.

1. Lighter gun (got tired of my pants falling down)
2. Larger caliber (9mm - vs .380 with the Bersa)
3. Still safe (and I'll tell you why)
3a. I'm still wary of striker fired guns sitting in my pants.. (I know. . .there's a pun there somewhere). Anyway, I moved into an Alien Gear holster. It has a double hard plastic trigger guard which in my opinion makes it virtually impossible to engage the trigger.. Also one of my biggest fears was holstering and accidentally pressing on the trigger by either the holster or shirt. That's why I went with the Ruger.. It has a safety... So... What I do is engage the safety, holster then dis-engage the safety.. I now have one in the pipe and no safety.. I know they gun is secure in my holster and I don't want to have to worry or think about dealing with making the gun hot if I ever have to draw and fire...

I also have my BUG gun for those days that it isn't open for me to carry my regular EDC. I carry the Taurus Spectrum... Again my reasoning is that it is a fully DA only gun. The firing pin is under zero load and you really have to want to pull that trigger to fire it... I do carry it in a Desantis pocket holster, but it is almost impossible to fire it unless you mean to....

Both guns are safe (in my opinion) but ready to go with a single trigger pull.....
1 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:21 am

Janik wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:34 am
the TPR9c if I remember correctly with a 3.3" barrel.
I had the forerunner to that gun- BT9 UC (Bersa Thunder 9mm ultra compact). Not much difference in them. They are great shooters...but ..... heavy ~28 oz empty and pretty wide. Just too big for me as a CC. I actually traded mine in on the Elite. The Elite is a little larger, but lighter.
I still have the Bersa 9HC, which is the duty size version...HC= high capacity- 17 rounds. It shoots just as good as the Sig and Beretta-just a little heavy and big for concealed carry.
The 380's are the real gems...... IMHO nothing on the market can compare. Excellent triggers out of the box, 8 round mags on the single stacks and 15 on the double stack Plus model. They "fit" right in the middle between too small and too big. Just right.

Edit: I forgot to say----striker or hammer?...... It matters not for me. I just have just not been impressed with the striker guns (until I fired a Canik DA). Its just that the guns that I found that I liked were hammer guns.
Some folks are unnecessarily afraid of economy brands- not me. If it works good, then it works good.
2 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:19 am

Tejas Products wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:18 am
I've seen some pretty heated debates on this subject from many different forums, however the end is "whatever your most comfortable with". In that I 100% agree. I've seen posts ranging from a .22 derringer to a full sized 6" 357 magnum....

I'll give you my journey. I've been Texas CHL (LTC now) for about a year. I started out with the Bersa 380 as well IWB... Safety has always been my number one concern when carrying.. But as time went on, I switched over to a Ruger LC9s. 3 reasons for this.

1. Lighter gun (got tired of my pants falling down)
2. Larger caliber (9mm - vs .380 with the Bersa)
3. Still safe (and I'll tell you why)
3a. I'm still wary of striker fired guns sitting in my pants.. (I know. . .there's a pun there somewhere). Anyway, I moved into an Alien Gear holster. It has a double hard plastic trigger guard which in my opinion makes it virtually impossible to engage the trigger.. Also one of my biggest fears was holstering and accidentally pressing on the trigger by either the holster or shirt. That's why I went with the Ruger.. It has a safety... So... What I do is engage the safety, holster then dis-engage the safety.. I now have one in the pipe and no safety.. I know they gun is secure in my holster and I don't want to have to worry or think about dealing with making the gun hot if I ever have to draw and fire...

I also have my BUG gun for those days that it isn't open for me to carry my regular EDC. I carry the Taurus Spectrum... Again my reasoning is that it is a fully DA only gun. The firing pin is under zero load and you really have to want to pull that trigger to fire it... I do carry it in a Desantis pocket holster, but it is almost impossible to fire it unless you mean to....

Both guns are safe (in my opinion) but ready to go with a single trigger pull.....
As a lefty, one of the problems for me is the safeties are on the wrong side. I do have a SCCY 9mm, which is double action only. I like it but I've been having some feeding issues. I think it's a magazine issue though. But my P99c with the DA/SA is a nice balance for me. Heavier first pull with a really sweet single action follow up. And, no safety to concern myself with. But I agree completely, in the end it doesn't matter. Everyone should carry what they are comfortable with. Even if it's not the same choice as me, it beats a stick in a gunfight any day of the week.
0 x

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:59 am

Both? I really like the DA/SA option, and wish more striker fired handguns were equipped with a decocker for carry. My normal carry is a DAO LCR .38, but I like a short SA option for more accurate follow-up shots. Unfortunately, there aren't many compact hammer-fired SA/DA options available. The Bersa 380 is an option, but others, like the Sig offerings are SAO.

On the subject of Bersa, my wife has the 380, but I have the full size Thunder Pro 9, and it's a great handgun. Better trigger than my Canik, with a good reset. Never had a failure, regardless of what ammo I use. The new TPR series looks like it's just a cosmetic update of the Thunder Pro series. Fortunately, I prefer the original...
Last edited by keltex78 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:00 pm

Kimber Micro .380 cocked and locked.

Since it has 1911 controls, that means hammer fired with the safety engaged.
1 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:32 pm

My carry guns over the years have been ppk, makarov, BHP, G19, G29, G42.. few others I've carried before but not regularly.. heading into fall now I'm not sure what I'll mostly be carrying durring cool weather yet G19 or P07. So I'm flexible with striker/hammer and or sa/da.

If I were designing my ideal gun though it would be striker, sa, glock style trigger saftey. I know some aren't a fan of the trigger saftey and SA but I feel perfectly fine carrying a pistol like that as long as ones carrying in a decent quality holster.
1 x

DWARREN123

Post by DWARREN123 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:54 pm

Really doesn't matter to me. I am comfortable with either type pistol.
I do like my CZ 75B Compact and Canik C-100, I also like my CZ P-09/07, S&W M&P Compact, and many others I have.
I just like pistols I guess.
1 x
Shut up and Reload!

jonholl

Post by jonholl » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Pocket carry in a holster, Seecamp .32 (hammer), or Kahr CM9 (striker). Both are 100% reliable (so far). I'm an old guy, if needed I just want to take it out & pull the trigger.
When younger everything from a Colt 1911 .45 to a Walther PPK/S, IWB mostly, with the PPK/S sometimes in a pocket.
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599
CF Member: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:54 pm

M&P 9C with one in the hole. Always an OWB holster (Alien Gear) and a spare mag in a Leatherman holder.

My 1911 is a wear-at-the-range while doing RSO duties for me. It's not that I'm not comfortable with a hammer-fired SA sidearm, mines just a little too big to conceal/carry. And it looks too good to cover.

As long as you practice the manual of arms required to draw, make ready and fire either a of these choices, both are equally effective. What you do when the brain shuts down and the mussel reflexes start is what makes a difference.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Way way back in the day, I carried a Para P13.45 with an ambi safety. The thumb sweep was integral to the draw stroke. I took a defensive pistol class not to long ago and the instructor commented on sweeping the imaginary safety on my XDS.

On topic, I don't have enough time on DA/SA to be comfortable carrying one. I'd like to add a P07 to the collection, or something else same size with an ambi decoder. The PX4 just wasn't comfortable.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Lgaam wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:02 pm
Way way back in the day, I carried a Para P13.45 with an ambi safety.
Define "concealed"...

That's four pounds of steel, brass and lead...
0 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:23 pm

ncjw wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Define "concealed"...

That's four pounds of steel, brass and lead...
OWB, Galco under a "shoot me" vest or a sport coat.
2 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:28 am

Lgaam wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:02 pm
I'd like to add a P07 to the collection, or something else same size with an ambi decoder. The PX4 just wasn't comfortable.
I'm really liking the P07. Sold off all my hammer fired years ago, but have come full circle and have an interest in them again. I just wish I could get the TP9DA trigger in a hammer fired. I know Tristar carries the Canik hammer fired line of guns, but there's no decocker, let alone left hand friendly. I may end up sending my P07 in for a little Cajunizing. Ergonomically, the CZ feels really good in the hand and I definitely recommend it.
2 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:04 am

Ruger LC9S, S&W M&P 9C, and even sometimes a KelTec PF9. The first two are my favorite CCs.
1 x
It just goes to show...wherever you go, there you are! :-?

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:56 am

Badgerboy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:04 am
S&W M&P 9C
WHAT?! We even carry the same CCW? Great minds(?) think alike...
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:34 am

Yes, I thought that a bit interesting...I bought mine from a friend a few months back and love it...he upgraded the sights and put in an Apex trigger kit, so that's two less things I had to do...
0 x
It just goes to show...wherever you go, there you are! :-?

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:52 pm

Badgerboy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:34 am
he upgraded the sights and put in an Apex trigger kit
I added the Apex trigger kit, night sights and the extended mag floor plates for the pinky to have fun with the rest of the fingers.

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast" **==
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage