Disaster Preparedness

Discussion section for Everyday Carry items, Preparedness and Self Defense, including Knives, Packs, Filtration Systems, Bushcraft, etc.
Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Re: Disaster Preparedness

Post by Lgaam » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Janik wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:47 pm
LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:59 pm
I also has water bladders that fit in the tub (Google it).
I've been thinking of getting one of those. We have a one bathroom home, so I only need one. But then, I suppose I could fill a couple up in the backyard with the garden hose and try to conceal them. Keep the one in the tub for drinking water, and the two in the yard for washing and other necessities.
I've used these and I don't think they'd do very well without the support of the tub.

There are a bunch of places that have 5 gal Mylar bags with a cardboard box. These were really handy during hurricane Matthew. They aren't terribly expensive and are portable. Fill them and stack them in a corner.

If your water storage is larger than 5 gal units, make sure you have a way to transfer water for use. At 8 lbs/gal, the weight adds up quick.
1 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:21 pm

I was on the north fringe on Andrew. 23 days without power, 3 days without running water. Fortunately, the gas lines were never compromised, so there were hot showers and easily boiled water once it came back on.

My preparations weren't as thorough back then, so the whole thing was chalked up as a learning experience. I ended up volunteering for a lot of cleanup further south because meals and water were provided.
1 x

MadDuner

Post by MadDuner » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:26 pm

I have water stored in a big 275 gallon tote, but THAT is not portable at all once it's filled. So I recently found a product called WaterBricks, which are stackable 3.5 gallon containers. That keeps the weight down enough for the wife and daughters to be able to manage them by themselves for use, and they can be refilled using the water from the tote. The part about them I found to be very nice - was that they fit into our refrigerator.

I guess you can put most anything into them as far as foods, water or ammo. They are a little pricy, but 10 at a time isn't that bad.
1 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:45 pm

For water storage you can sometimes find used once 55 gallon plastic drums on places like craigslist, made out of food grade plastic, I picked up 2 for $70, also the big 'Brute' trash cans are made of food grade plastic and can be used to store water. Use to use the drums to store RODI water and the Brute for saltwater for my reef tanks.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:09 pm

Probably one of the cheapest and easiest prep items. But you have to start filling it as soon as SHTF as the nearest water tower will gravity fill it only until it is empty. Without power to refill the water tower, anyone trying to get water later is hosed.
1 x

Weapon
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 005

Post by Weapon » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:45 pm

The latest nuke threat assessment by the US (snips of which were just released) raises new concerns on EMPs. The DOD for whatever the reason now believes that North Korea has h-bombs and has sufficiently miniaturized them to fly one into the central US. That would be absolute suicide for North Korea but they are damn crazy.

Regardless, mom nature is likely still the greatest concern.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599
CF Member: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:08 pm

Weapon wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:45 pm
Regardless, mom nature is likely still the greatest concern.
We hope....
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage

schroff

Post by schroff » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:35 pm

I think the whole prepper thing is a bit extreme, but I do prepare for power/water outages and natural disasters. I live in an area where the infrastructure is old, and water shut-offs and power outages are somewhat common. Because of that, I do keep plenty of water stored up in my basement, and I have wood burning stove and lots of firewood to keep the house warm when the power goes out. Both of these scenarios have happened, and I was glad I was prepared. I also have some food storage, and I have recently gotten into canning, which is kind of a fun hobby. I also collect Coleman lanterns and stoves, so that helps!

As far as bugging in vs bugging out, I will always stay home unless it gets to a point where I can't. But I will always have my Elite by my side either way!
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:35 pm

schroff wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:35 pm
But I will always have my Elite by my side either way!
It brought a tear to my eye.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage

schroff

Post by schroff » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:17 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:45 pm
For water storage you can sometimes find used once 55 gallon plastic drums on places like craigslist, made out of food grade plastic, I picked up 2 for $70, also the big 'Brute' trash cans are made of food grade plastic and can be used to store water. Use to use the drums to store RODI water and the Brute for saltwater for my reef tanks.
Good point... for storing water, you need to be sure containers are food grade rated. The "Brute" cans quoted above are available at any good home improvement store. Another member suggested water bricks. I found some 3 gallon stackable bottles at my local Walmart that are very similar. You want something that is easy to carry in case you need it. Also, I store non-drinkable water in a big rubbermaid tub in the basement. I have found that water for the toilet is the biggest consumer when the water is shut off. For non-drinkable water, you can store it in something that doesn't have to be clean.
0 x

Father of 5
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Father of 5 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:02 pm

Most people have no idea how catastrophic a large scale EMP event would be, and how long it would take for basic services to be restored. In general it takes between 12 and 18 months from the time its ordered for a single substation power transformer to be built and delivered. On top of that, our country simply doesn't have the manufacturing capacity that it had twenty or thirty years ago. Critical infrastructure would take a long time to rebuild and replace. It would be a prolonged recovery back to the modern conveniences that we take for granted. I don't think many millenials could survive the withdrawal from their social media apps.
2 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:31 pm

My point exactly.
0 x

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:10 pm

Being in Northern Arizona well and ground water is not very plentiful. If you live outside of city limits like I do you have to haul your water. We do that with tanks in your pickup or on trailers. I have both with a 500 gal. capacity. The water goes into a 2,000 gallon underground tank plumbed into a shallow well pump that serves the house. I also have two tanks that catch rainwater for another 2,100 gallons. I try to keep my tanks topped off, awhile back the closest water distribution site closed for about two months until new owners reopened. I managed to go the two months and made it ok, one thing in my favor was that we were in the start of our monsoon season. This season has been a pretty wet one so the cisterns stayed full. I usually keep a good store of food and animal food on hand. As far as weaponry and ammo I probably am overstocked in that department. Being outside of an established city limit most of the neighbors have all decided to bug in, and we all would team up for any scenarios. I saw recently on line that one on the SHTF sites called N. Az. one of the top five places to survive an emergency situation.
2 x

MadDuner

Post by MadDuner » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:14 am

Sounds like you have a very usable system there Steve!
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:16 pm

Off work today and it's going to rain for the next 4-5 days. Oh crap...

So what is one to do? PREP! I build up this case for the "just-in-case" of a grab & go or, for taking many toys to the range. I even made a seating chart under the top.

Image Image **==
3 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:25 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:16 pm
Off work today and it's going to rain for the next 4-5 days. Oh crap...

So what is one to do? PREP! I build up this case for the "just-in-case" of a grab & go or, for taking many toys to the range. I even made a seating chart under the top.

Image Image **==
Nice, I have a couple of harbor freight knock off pelicans, though i wouldnt trust them to be submerged or anything they're handy for transport.

2 x

K-dog

Post by K-dog » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:55 am

I have a pool that has 15,000 gallons of water year round. It can be made drinkable very easy.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:41 am

K-dog wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:55 am
I have a pool that has 15,000 gallons of water year round. It can be made drinkable very easy.
Me too. And it makes for good flushing water too (if it has some where to go).

0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage

Weapon
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 005

Post by Weapon » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:41 pm

ncjw wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:28 pm
As far as asteroids, we know where the big ones are and 5M miles not even a close call, space is a very big thing. Even in the asteroid belt, each asteroid, large to tiny, is over a half millions miles from each other. Out of solar system asteroids are extremely rare. Comets are another thing, we don't know where all of the big ones are there.

Anyway, I am much more concerned about human caused disasters than natural ones.
I always find it odd when NASA makes overly broad claims about "knowing what is out there". A fairly large asteroid zipped by us not long ago and they had no idea it was coming until it zipped by because it was a dark asteroid and came from behind the sun. In any event, the way they talk about space sometimes sounds like they are speaking in terms of the solar system being in a static location. It isn't but lucky the universe is massive and there is typically quite a bit of room between moving objects.

Moving objects?
The moon moves around the Earth at about 2,288 miles per hour.
The Earth moves around the sun at about 67,000 miles per hour.
The other planets move around the sun at speeds from 12,146 mph (Neptune) to ~107,000 mph (Mercury). While that sounds like a nice group of planets making big semi-circular loops around a fixed point (the sun), the sun isn’t stationary either — it is moving around the galactic center of the Milky Way at around 483,000 mph and the Milky Way is moving through the universe at about 515,000 mph but the Milky Way isn’t orbiting around anything.

Even though it is moving at 483.000 miles per hour, It takes the sun 230 million years to complete one galactic orbit.

So, we are on a big spinning rock that is spinning around a gigantic fusion reactor that is spinning around the center of a galaxy that is flying through the universe at a bit faster than a half a million miles an hour...what could possibly go wrong?
1 x

MadDuner

Post by MadDuner » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:54 pm

My slide rule is smoking....
0 x