Disaster Preparedness

Discussion section for Everyday Carry items, Preparedness and Self Defense, including Knives, Packs, Filtration Systems, Bushcraft, etc.
ncjw

Re: Disaster Preparedness

Post by ncjw » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:07 pm

1. Please provide the links or model numbers for those cool Pelican and Pelican clone cases discussed above.

2. One of the most interesting things that I ever learned was that the planets do NOT orbit the Sun. They orbit the center of gravity of the solar system. Depending on where they and the Sun are, it might be within the volume of the Sun, but more often than not they orbit a point in space outside of the Sun.

This is a really handy example of "everybody knows" XYZ. Just counter, well, everyone knows that the planets orbit the Sun, but they don't.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599
CF Member: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:26 pm

The one I did was a Pelican 1550 with foam kit.

FOAM LAYERS: Layer 1 (Lid): 1.75" - Convolute / Layer 2 (Base): 0.75" - Pad / Layer 3 (Base): 2.50" - Pick N Pluck / Layer 4 (Base): 2.50" - Pick N Pluck

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/c ... ector/1550
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:10 pm

ncjw wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:07 pm
1. Please provide the links or model numbers for those cool Pelican and Pelican clone cases discussed above.

2. One of the most interesting things that I ever learned was that the planets do NOT orbit the Sun. They orbit the center of gravity of the solar system. Depending on where they and the Sun are, it might be within the volume of the Sun, but more often than not they orbit a point in space outside of the Sun.

This is a really handy example of "everybody knows" XYZ. Just counter, well, everyone knows that the planets orbit the Sun, but they don't.
Apache 3800 from Harbor Freight. I got them around black friday/cyber monday last year they were on sale and had online free ship code making them around $30 each. They include the pluckable foam inserts, after cutting the foam I used the Krylon plasticoat spray paint on the foam to make it more tear resistant.
1 x

Weapon
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 005

Post by Weapon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:25 am

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:10 pm
ncjw wrote:

Apache 3800 from Harbor Freight. I got them around black friday/cyber monday last year they were on sale and had online free ship code making them around $30 each. They include the pluckable foam inserts, after cutting the foam I used the Krylon plasticoat spray paint on the foam to make it more tear resistant.
Those were a steal at that price.
0 x

Weapon
Global Moderator

Post by Weapon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:36 am

ncjw wrote:

You are referring to the barycenter of the solar system. The end result of multiple planets exerting gravitational force on the sun causing somewhat minor star wobble (depending on the location and alignment of the planets). For the Earth (only planet known to have life on it), the barycenter of the solar system is almost always right next to the sun’s core. For Jupiter, it might be slightly outside of the surface of the sun. However, for all practical purposes, the object with the largest mass in the solar system (by far) is the sun...and all of the inner planets are most certainly orbiting around it as their barycenters are very close to the sun’s core.

Edit: autocorrect sucks
1 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:03 am

Yes, but the combined barycenters of the solar system result in the barycenter of the total to be outside of the Sun's surface more than it is inside of it due to Jupiter and Saturn having such a large influence. For the point above, I guess that it doesn't really matter whether the barycenter is inside the surface or not, the main point is still that the planets orbit the center of mass, not the Sun.
1 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:25 pm

So, worst case scenario, if everything lines up, we're potentially hurtling through space at up to 1,025,000 mph, not counting rotational velocity at the surface of the earth.

On the other hand, we could momentarily be at a galactic dead stop of only 5,000 mph. Somebody else needs to be motivated enough to break it down into vectors.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:43 pm

I can't wait for the Monty Python segment on this!

Kidding guys! This is great stuff...
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage

Weapon
Global Moderator

Post by Weapon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:42 pm

One topic that hasn’t really been brought up in this thread is the very real possibility of mayhem/rioting in some areas around mid-November. There are a few cities that might be worth avoiding for a couple weeks.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Weapon wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:25 am
TL1000RSquid wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:10 pm
ncjw wrote:
Those were a steal at that price.
Yeah good general protection and transport, not sure how waterproof they'd be keep the rain out for sure, I'll have to fill the tub up and toss one in and see if any gets in.
1 x

MadDuner

Post by MadDuner » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:28 pm

Weapon wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:42 pm
One topic that hasn’t really been brought up in this thread is the very real possibility of mayhem/rioting in some areas around mid-November. There are a few cities that might be worth avoiding for a couple weeks.
Antifa has been making noises like they want to take their brand of violence to the next level. They have supposedly been "training" in preparation for the upcoming political rallies and elections. My advice is to position police snipers on the rooftops and demonstrate how much we appreciate their violent threats.
0 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:35 pm

Weapon wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:42 pm
I've started and deleted several posts about this. I grew up around the Miami riots of the 80s. I watched my dad and a couple neighbors patrolling the block because the police couldn't ('81). The bodega 2 blocks away was looted and burned during the Lozano riots ('85?). The rioters were being pushed into the neighborhood to keep them out of the business districts....
0 x

Weapon
Global Moderator

Post by Weapon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:38 pm

I have noticed that their protests and associated violence are somewhat rare in states with concealed carry or stand your ground laws. I guess they are less apt to whack people over the head with a flagpole in states where they might get gun fire as a response.
1 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:52 pm

Lgaam wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:35 pm
I've started and deleted several posts about this. I grew up around the Miami riots of the 80s. I watched my dad and a couple neighbors patrolling the block because the police couldn't ('81). The bodega 2 blocks away was looted and burned during the Lozano riots ('85?). The rioters were being pushed into the neighborhood to keep them out of the business districts....
You just had to watch the 1992 LA riots on TV to see that the police are very quickly overwhelmed and you will be on your own.

On the other hand, my guess is that nothing much will happen after the elections.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:56 pm

Lgaam wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:35 pm
I grew up around the Miami riots of the 80s.
I live in LA (the other LA) during the '65 Watts Riots. Things were very different back then.

But here, after Katrina, things were not very lawful. I wasan't flooded but had to cut my way out of the trees across the roads where I lived. Gun on a hip was the normal. I have friends who set fires in their driveways with long rifles across their laps to stop the people from looting. Prepping is normally done too late. If your don't have it when it happens, it's too late.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:49 am

Bringing this thread back alive.

I think this article is very good and the bug-in test weekend is really a good idea. http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/bug-in- ... d760f110a1

When the storm that ran up the Gulf and split the Mississippi/Alabama state-line last month was approaching I did my generator test; two pulls & it roared to life. :ymapplause:
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage

Weapon
Global Moderator

Post by Weapon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Interesting snip from the news:
“A draft executive order on coordinating national resilience to electromagnetic pulse incidents is currently being developed under the auspices of the National Security Council staff in coordination with Federal departments and agencies. Upon issuance, the executive order will obviously inform—and potentially alter—the Department’s approach to the EMP-GMD threat that is articulated in this DHS Strategy.”

Also:
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files ... argoed.pdf
0 x