The forum will be down Sunday November 18th starting at 6pm for maintenance.

Striker or Hammer for Conceal Carry?

Discussion section for Everyday Carry items, Preparedness and Self Defense, including Knives, Packs, Filtration Systems, Bushcraft, etc.
Hubbabubba

Re: Striker or Hammer for Conceal Carry?

Post by Hubbabubba » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:24 pm

Hammer fired. I have carried a 1911 in condition one for years. My current best friend is a Kimber Ultra Carry.
1 x

SSGNDoc
Founding Member #: 004

Post by SSGNDoc » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:58 am

I switched from “single action” striker fired pistols to DA/SA pistols a couple years ago. I had been carrying a Glock 19 because it was where I had landed for the most useful size for me with regard to ease of carry and ease of shooting.

My switch initially involved going to a modified Beretta Px4 Compact. The modifications primarily revolved around switching controls to low profile versions from Beretta. The safety was swapped to low profile, decocker only, and the slide stop/release was swapped to a low profile, non-ambi version. Once this was done the pistol is very close to the dimensions of the Glock 19.

Shortly after getting the Px4 all set up for carry I found a deal on a CZ P07 that I just couldn’t pass up. It didn’t require any mods to make it fit the dimensions of the G19. The trigger is a bit stagey out of the box, but firing it in timed drills next to the Px4 the trigger didn’t seem to make a difference. I did polish up some parts and more shooting has smoothed it out considerably.

The Px4 trigger is heavy but smooth out of the box. Just a hammer spring swap put it right where I like it for carry. Firm DA, and near 4lb single action.

The biggest things I was looking for in my swap from striker fired was the Longer, more deliberate first trigger pull along with a decocker only safety in a G19 sized package.

The Canik TP9V2 and DA would be good candidates if they were just a bit smaller. The Walther P99 is another pistol I would consider for carry because I can get it in dimensions similar to the G19 and get a DA/SA trigger with a decocker.

The hammer was never a major factor to me. Only things I think it offers are a more visible and tactile reference to indicate the pistol is cocked and you can thumb cock it (not sure if it is a real advantage or not).
1 x

Gadget Guy
Founding Member #: 2025

Post by Gadget Guy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:22 am

I don't prefer either one. I just want it to be comfortable in my hand and shoot reliably.

I started with a Ruger LC9 (hammer). Didn't like it. too hard for me to control and too "snappy" when fired.

Then I found a Sig P290RS (hammer). Very nice. Shoots great/accurate and fairly comfortable. I also liked the re-strike capability in case it doesn't fire the first time.

Then one day I made the mistake of holding a Sig Sauer P365 (striker). WOW! It felt like it was part of my hand. Points naturally. Grip is about as perfect as it gets(for me). Shoots very reliably. When I practice drawing from it's holster, my index finger naturally extends down the side of the holster and stays extended until I decide it's time to shoot.

No safety on any of them. Practice, practice, practice with whatever you have. It's the best safety out there IMHO.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:29 pm

SSGNDoc wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:58 am
The Canik TP9V2 and DA would be good candidates if they were just a bit smaller. The Walther P99 is another pistol I would consider for carry because I can get it in dimensions similar to the G19 and get a DA/SA trigger with a decocker.
I carry the P99c daily, it's outstanding. 10+1 isn't a lot though, but it'll do. I own the full size P99 and it's nice, but it's a bit snappier than the Canik V2 and DA. Trigger is excellent though. I keep waffling though back and forth deciding which trigger I actually like better, the V2 or DA. My P07 may become a winter carry gun.
0 x