The forum will be down Sunday November 18th starting at 6pm for maintenance.

Elite Combat - First Impressions

Canik Firearm Reviews and Range Reports. Share your Canik experiences with other members.
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Elite Combat - First Impressions

Post by Janik » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:21 pm

I decided to make a first impressions video after a couple range trips with the Elite Combat. So far it's friggin' outstanding. I'm only about 4 or 500 rounds in, but so far no issues. I've got a long ways to go and a lot more rounds to put down range before I can do a full review, but holy crap this thing is sweet! If you haven't fondled one yet, do so as soon as you can. I definitely think it's worth the price tag.

1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Re: Elite Combat - First Impressions

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:59 pm

Nice review!!

I'm in the same boat as you...hoping they make the Combat trigger available as an aftermarket upgrade. Will definitely be putting one in my SF Elite if they do. I did put a dot on mine. Decided to go with the 3 moa Vortex Venom. I have a Burris FF3 on the SFX. I originally was going to go with the Venom but no one had the 6 moa available. The SFX has been modified and solely used as a comp gun, so I originally wanted the larger dot for quicker target acquisition at close range .After having the 8 moa Burris and really adapting to the dot, my son convinced me to try a 3 moa. He's running RMRs (3.5 moa) on his Glocks and I almost pulled the trigger on the Trijcon but wanted to make sure I liked the smaller dot first...and after a short time I do. I'm a real fan of red dots now.

My Talon grip showed up today and got that on. I'm a huge fan of their grips.

1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:40 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:59 pm
Nice! Is that specifically for the Elite Combat? Or did you have to modify the Elite version?

For red dots, I've never owned one yet so I'm going to start with the 6moa for my SFx. Not sure if I'm going to put one on the Combat yet. I'll see how it goes with the SFx. I'm sure I'll like it, but not sure if I trust red dots yet. Do they make any for handguns that have a shake awake so you don't have to manually turn it on?
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:35 am

Janik wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:40 pm
GlennSFX wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:59 pm
Nice! Is that specifically for the Elite Combat? Or did you have to modify the Elite version?

For red dots, I've never owned one yet so I'm going to start with the 6moa for my SFx. Not sure if I'm going to put one on the Combat yet. I'll see how it goes with the SFx. I'm sure I'll like it, but not sure if I trust red dots yet. Do they make any for handguns that have a shake awake so you don't have to manually turn it on?
The grip is for the Elite. I had to trim the bottom to account for the mag well.

I was unsure about the dot as well. No one had the Venom in a 6 moa, local or on-line when I was looking for one for the SFX, so I went with the Burris to get the larger dot. 8 moa in the case of the FastFire 3. If you have a good repetitive extension, bringing the gun sights into your line of sight on the target/threat, the dot will be there. It will take a little practice, but you will like it. For me I have to wear 1.25 reading glasses to have a clear front sight, it's just an age thing, I turned 60 this year. :cry: With the red dot, having both eyes open, and your focus on your target, no worries about front sight focus issues.

Now the next issue is what if the red dot fails. Definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. Problem with the Caniks is, they don't provide for a rear or forward mounted rear iron. I'm addressing it by using the white rear sight bars painted on the rear of the Venom. I just ordered a .430 front sight from Dawson Precision. I'm going to start a thread with the approach I'm taking and the calculations. When I spoke with the folks at Dawson, they said they can make any height sight I need to get the sight picture I want/need. Plan is to get the front dot to sit right on top of the rear of the optic. I'll install the .430 and go from there. Based on my calculations, i should be pretty close. We'll see once I put some rounds through it.

With the Venom you can set the brightness to "automatic" where the optic will adjust the brightness based on the ambient light. My FastFire also has this setting. So while the gun is holstered, it will be set on the lowest setting. Interesting enough, the lowest setting is actually perfect for indoor use, even in daylight. It's brighter than the low setting on the Burris. Battery live at the lowest setting is something like 30,000 hours. Even if you change the battery once or twice a year, it's no big deal. The Deltapoint Pro does have a "wake" on movement mode, however it does not have good reviews for battery life. That's what drove me away from it. It does have a nice option to add a rear mount iron sight to the back of the optic.

Hope this help!
0 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:37 am

GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:35 am
Now the next issue is what if the red dot fails.
This is my biggest concern about RMR's, and why I've avoided them so far. Thanks for all the info. Hoping to buy my first RMR on black Friday for my SFx.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:48 pm

I tried playing with the white stripes on the Venom as a rear sight with the standard front sight. Acquisition is not quick and obviously you will be shooting higher. If you want to hit anything small, you have to practice to get the front sight to ride just above the gap in the stripes consistently, which will take time. Besides the bulk of the RMR, it makes no sense for EDC.

For the nightstand, the chances of the RMR battery failing just when you need to make a precise shot are much lower. The stripes plus front sight is probably good enough for 5 yards indoors for the center mass of a target. That being said, I still stick with irons.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:14 pm

ncjw wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:48 pm
That being said, I still stick with irons.
That's where I'm at still. A good set of night sights and a lot of continual practice with my carry and home defense handguns. Maybe someday there will be some type of hybrid RMR that doesn't require batteries, and is just as durable as iron sights. But also, I don't want the extra bulk when conceal carrying. Chances are pretty slim I'll ever need a firearm to defend myself or others, but I'm always prepared. I've been looking at Burris, Vortex and Trijicon RMR's for my SFx. Hopefully a good deal will come along soon. I'm leaning towards the Venom since that's what most people seem to be running on their SFx's.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:56 pm

[/quote]

I just ordered a .430 front sight from Dawson Precision. I'm going to start a thread with the approach I'm taking and the calculations. When I spoke with the folks at Dawson, they said they can make any height sight I need to get the sight picture I want/need. Plan is to get the front dot to sit right on top of the rear of the optic. I'll install the .430 and go from there. Based on my calculations, i should be pretty close. We'll see once I put some rounds through it.

[/quote]

Subscribed! Working on the same issue. Just ordered a .420 and .320 from optics planet. Ameriglo I believe. On sale now.

For those interested they have Venoms, 6moa in stock. Takes awhile to receive them. Around $200 with coupons.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:13 pm

runeight wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:56 pm
For those interested they have Venoms, 6moa in stock. Takes awhile to receive them. Around $200 with coupons.
I need a Venom for my SFx. I'm going to have to head over there and poke around. Hope to buy one soon.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Janik wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:13 pm
runeight wrote:
I need a Venom for my SFx. I'm going to have to head over there and poke around. Hope to buy one soon.
Look under “coupons.” I believe 10% off of Vortex. Not sure which model, venom or viper or both.

If not you can always use “work7” for 5%.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:28 pm

runeight wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:26 pm
Janik wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:13 pm
runeight wrote:
Look under “coupons.” I believe 10% off of Vortex. Not sure which model, venom or viper or both.

If not you can always use “work7” for 5%.
Thanks! Much appreciated.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:31 pm

$208.99 using work7 coupon.

You can scroll down on shipping charges and get free.
1 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:36 pm

1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:45 pm

I've got it in the shopping cart and ready to purchase. Decent price so I might as well do it. Question though, I've never added an RMR to a handgun before. I know I have the adapter plates, but will I need to purchase the proper screws? It says it comes with the T-15 torques wrench, but doesn't say anything about the screws. Not sure if I have the proper screws in the box that came with the SFx.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:49 pm

No! Use the screws and lock washers from the gun supplied with the firearm. Should be extras inside the white plastic box.

Do not use Venom screws. States this in owners manual. I have mine temp mounted as I’m going to be changing front sights.

Just installed mine this morning.
1 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:51 pm

Remove slide and from underneath take a small punch and “push” the plate off. You will see the holes.

Won’t damage the firearm.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 pm

runeight wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:49 pm
No! Use the screws and lock washers from the gun supplied with the firearm. Should be extras inside the white plastic box.

Do not use Venom screws. States this in owners manual. I have mine temp mounted as I’m going to be changing front sights.

Cool, thanks. I'll read through the manual while I'm waiting for it to arrive. I need to dig through some threads on here and do some reading. I've pretty much ignored those threads because I never thought I'd buy an RMR for a handgun. I'm sure once I get it in and it'll be self explanatory. But I'll do some reading while I'm waiting on it to arrive. Thanks again for the help.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Janik wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 pm
runeight wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Cool, thanks. I'll read through the manual while I'm waiting for it to arrive. I need to dig through some threads on here and do some reading. I've pretty much ignored those threads because I never thought I'd buy an RMR for a handgun. I'm sure once I get it in and it'll be self explanatory. But I'll do some reading while I'm waiting on it to arrive. Thanks again for the help.
This is why I posted on a front sight to use with a rmr. I think most thought I wanted to change the front to work with the Warren rear sight. Nope, want to co-witness the rmr.

The venom is worth the extra for nothing more than the battery sits on top. :-BD
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:03 pm

I just installed the Venom on my Combat which uses the same plates as the SFX. The Venom comes with a little bag marked "Glock MOS". The screws in that bag are the correct screws to use to mount the optic on the plate. You can also use the ones supplied by Canik.

I have a Burris FF3 on the SFX, and I used the screws that came with the SFX in the plastic box.
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:06 pm

runeight wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:57 pm

This is why I posted on a front sight to use with a rmr. I think most thought I wanted to change the front to work with the Warren rear sight. Nope, want to co-witness the rmr.
I just installed a new front sight to co-witness with the Venom. I have a thread with the details under upgrades.

0 x