The forum will be down Sunday November 18th starting at 6pm for maintenance.

SW22 Victory

General Discussion Section for All Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories.
McCanik

SW22 Victory

Post by McCanik » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:07 pm

One of the reasons I love Caniks is because they are such a great value. I just got another great value gun, a Smith & Wesson Victory. Its a .22lr steel target pistol with a bull barrel. $300 and it comes with 2 mags, FO sights front and rear, rear sight is adjustable. 4 lb wide face trigger. It has a polymer rail that can replace the rear sight if you want to add a red dot optic. 36 ounces so there is no discernible recoil from a .22 round. This gun is really fun to shoot.
I'm surprised that a U.S. manufacturer can produce such a quality gun with upgrade features for $300.
0 x

FrankW
Founding Member #: 013

Re: SW22 Victory

Post by FrankW » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi McCanik,

I have a Victory and it is a great gun. Very accurate and good balance for the weight. The trigger is nice but I wish it broke a little crisper. I like the trigger well enough that I haven't bought an after market trigger that is available and inexpensive. If you haven't discovered Tandemcross yet, you need to visit their site. They have lots of goodies to customize your Victory. You will want to get a Halo for sure. The Halo is a charging ring to aid cocking the Victory.

Frank

https://www.tandemkross.com/
1 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:08 pm

The SW22 will is going to be my next .22 pistol purchase, the m&p22c is my current main .22 pistol but I want something upgradable for more precision shooting.
0 x

McCanik

Post by McCanik » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:31 pm

FrankW wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:33 pm
Hi McCanik,

I have a Victory and it is a great gun. Very accurate and good balance for the weight. The trigger is nice but I wish it broke a little crisper. I like the trigger well enough that I haven't bought an after market trigger that is available and inexpensive. If you haven't discovered Tandemcross yet, you need to visit their site. They have lots of goodies to customize your Victory. You will want to get a Halo for sure. The Halo is a charging ring to aid cocking the Victory.

Frank

Thanks for the link to Tandemkross.
The light recoil allows you to stay on target and encourages shooting fast. The first range trip shot 300 rounds and my first accessory is going to be some kind of mag loader. I hate to sound like a wimp but depressing that small button on the mag to load really made my thumbnail sore.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:18 pm

McCanik wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:31 pm
FrankW wrote:
Hi McCanik,

Frank

The light recoil allows you to stay on target and encourages shooting fast. The first range trip shot 300 rounds and my first accessory is going to be some kind of mag loader. I hate to sound like a wimp but depressing that small button on the mag to load really made my thumbnail sore.
Hilljak mag loader for victory should be like $8 on amazon. I aquired one for my m&p15-22 and they work good. Uplula makes .22 loader as well not 100% sure it'll work on victory doesnt fit the M&P15-22 mags.
1 x

McCanik

Post by McCanik » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:58 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:18 pm
McCanik wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:31 pm
FrankW wrote:
Hi McCanik,

Frank

Hilljak mag loader for victory should be like $8 on amazon. I aquired one for my m&p15-22 and they work good. Uplula makes .22 loader as well not 100% sure it'll work on victory doesnt fit the M&P15-22 mags.
Thanks for the tip about Hilljak loader. This is just what I was looking for. I went to the Hilljak site and ordered since it was a $1 cheaper than through Amazon and shipped free. Probably saved about $8 over Amazon shipping.
I don't feel so bad about complaining about a sore thumb since every Hilljak reviewer had the same complaint. Those little buttons are thumb biters.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:42 am

What do you guys with Victorys think about this package? https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... /ID/211580
0 x

BentAero

Post by BentAero » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:25 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:42 am
What do you guys with Victorys think about this package? https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... /ID/211580
That's actually not a bad price for the package, especially if those are the specific components you desire. The trigger and grips are a given. It would be good to confirm if the 'carbon' barrel actually has a carbon bore. If it is, I'd pass as you cannot shoot common jacketed ammo in a carbon bore. The Striplin carbon barrel actually is a stock barrel with 5.5 ounces of steel lathed out, then replaced with carbon fiber outer layer. This method really improves the balance and also retains the ability to shoot any ammo. I suspect the barrel in this package is of similar construct.
The venom's are fine for USPSA Carry Optics or similar, I have two of them and they've been trouble free. I tried one briefly on the Victory, and despite loving it on the SFx, it didn't work for me on the Victory. I replaced it with a C-More 12-moa on a Striplin side-mount for Steel Challenge, and couldn't be happier with it.

https://striplincustom.com
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:28 am

I'll have to see if I can investigate the barrel. I'd likely put the Vortex to use on something else, possibly doing a 3-4x or so optic I'm not sure about that never ran magnified optic on a pistol before
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:00 am

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:42 am
In that case, $130 difference for the Venom vs non-Venom is a steal. But why a 6moa on a target pistol? For shooting small .22 targets on dark indoor ranges, the 3moa would be much better (understood that you are going to repurpose the Venom, I was just wondering what their thought process was - probably just too many 6moa's laying around.)

Also, I have never heard of a carbon barrel without a steel core for the bore. Do they exist?
0 x

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:31 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:28 am
...possibly doing a 3-4x or so optic I'm not sure about that never ran magnified optic on a pistol before
I put a 2.5x optic on my .22 pistol (Beretta Neos) and was not happy with the results. I ended up spending my time having a hard time finding the crosshairs and then chasing the target around. It may have been the extra weight of the optic on the pistol but I did not like it, and removed it pretty quickly. I also tried a red dot (just a cheap eBay model) and it was better...

Ultimately, I think I'm just not a fan of optics on a handgun.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:59 pm

keltex78 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:31 pm
TL1000RSquid wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:28 am
...possibly doing a 3-4x or so optic I'm not sure about that never ran magnified optic on a pistol before
I put a 2.5x optic on my .22 pistol (Beretta Neos) and was not happy with the results. I ended up spending my time having a hard time finding the crosshairs and then chasing the target around. It may have been the extra weight of the optic on the pistol but I did not like it, and removed it pretty quickly. I also tried a red dot (just a cheap eBay model) and it was better...

Ultimately, I think I'm just not a fan of optics on a handgun.
Good info, I'll try running it with one of my PA ACSS 3x's before buying anything for it.
0 x

BentAero

Post by BentAero » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:05 am

The optic choice is dependant on what type of shooting you intend to do with the Victory.
If slow fire, longer distance is your thing, then a magnified optic might work.
If you are shooting multiple targets quickly, I don't see a magnified optic working very well. Too hard to find the dot/cross hairs.
On short distance rapid multiple target acquisition shooting like Steel Challenge, big moa's rule. Eight moa for young people with good eyesight, twelve moa for middle age and up eyeglass wearers are the norm. The really fast sponsored/pro shooters use at least 6 moa on a rimfire pistol. Big=fast. Small dots like 3 moa take too much time to 'find'. They work best for longer distances where a big dot would block your view of a small target.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 am

BentAero wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:05 am
The optic choice is dependant on what type of shooting you intend to do with the Victory.
If slow fire, longer distance is your thing, then a magnified optic might work.
If you are shooting multiple targets quickly, I don't see a magnified optic working very well. Too hard to find the dot/cross hairs.
On short distance rapid multiple target acquisition shooting like Steel Challenge, big moa's rule. Eight moa for young people with good eyesight, twelve moa for middle age and up eyeglass wearers are the norm. The really fast sponsored/pro shooters use at least 6 moa on a rimfire pistol. Big=fast. Small dots like 3 moa take too much time to 'find'. They work best for longer distances where a big dot would block your view of a small target.
The Victory will be for cheap precision shooting, I got the m&p 22 for more tactical multi target shooting.
0 x

McCanik

Post by McCanik » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:17 pm

Just an update on the Victory after 1500 rounds and three cleanings. While I still love the gun I now appreciate the ease of takedown and cleaning of centerfire guns compared to rimfire (and the Victory is supposed to be an improvement over most rimfires).
I discovered on the initial cleaning that S&W had put a drop of some retention substance in the threads of the takedown screw . I had read reviews that cited issues with the takedown screw coming loose after a few hundred rounds causing the barrel/receiver to wobble. The manual advises to monitor and tighten the screw as needed. Someone in one of the reviews recommended adding Loctite when reinstalling the screw after cleaning and I tried that after discovering the unknown factory substance.
Don't do that. The Loctite had the set screw really "locked tight". I had to apply heat to the barrel to loosen the screw on my second cleaning.
After cleaning all the dried Loctite out of the threads I reinstalled the takedown screw and it remained tight through 700 rounds.
I am not experiencing the loose screw problem that others have so I consider the gun good to go.
0 x

FrankW

Post by FrankW » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:22 pm

Hi McCNik,

I haven’t had any problem with the barrel takedown screw coming lose. I use Vibra-TITE VC-3 Threadmate on the takedown screw. It works similar to thread lock but designed for 5 or so take downs before you have to reapply. You have to let it dry for several minutes before using.

Frank
1 x

FrankW

Post by FrankW » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:24 pm

Hi McCNik,

Sorry for second post. Not sure what happened.

Frank
0 x

McCanik

Post by McCanik » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:26 pm

FrankW wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:22 pm
Hi McCNik,

I haven’t had any problem with the barrel takedown screw coming lose. I use Vibra-TITE VC-3 Threadmate on the takedown screw. It works similar to thread lock but designed for 5 or so take downs before you have to reapply. You have to let it dry for several minutes before using.

Frank
Thanks for the tip. If I start having the screw back out I will look for some Threadmate.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:48 am

All the precision oriented .22 pistols are a pain to break down the victory probably the lesser of them. Stuff like the m&p and sr22 are easy to break down and clean but wont shoot anywhere near as good. Haven't had any screw issues with mine yet but its only been to the range once since I got it.
0 x

FrankW

Post by FrankW » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:23 am

Threadmate is available from Amazon.

Frank
0 x