Bolt action rifle misfire/AD issue

General Discussion Section for All Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories.
Broxson
Founding Member #: 303

Bolt action rifle misfire/AD issue

Post by Broxson » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:42 pm

Im posting this here because this is probably the most helpful gun forum I've found. Ever.

Does anyone have experience maintaining or repairing bolt action rifles? Im really hoping someone here can help me because 1) gunsmiths aren't too common here in the city, 2) I would simply like to know whats going on and how to properly maintain my guns, and 3) Im simply interested in gunsmithing.

The gun in question is a 1979 Marlin Glenfield Model 25 .22.
http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/278 ... 3FBE1E4700
http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/278 ... 3FBE1E4700

My problem is that when I close and lock the bolt the rifle fires. If I open the action, engage the safety, and then close and lock the bolt it doesnt fire, everything seems fine. If I close and lock the bolt very slowly and gently it *sometimes* doesn't fire. My only guarantee (and I use that term loosely) of it not having an AD when locking the bolt is if the safety is on when I do it. I called the LGS that we go to where they know us and are willing to help out and they said something about a weak trigger return spring. Could this be the issue? Could other things cause this? If so, what else should I be looking for? I really want to take it to the range, but I don't feel safe doing so. And besides that, I just want my gun to be in proper working order. I would like to pass this gun on to my brother's son one day since it was originally his father's.

If anyone has any advice or ideas on what else could be causing this issue I would be very grateful to learn about them.

Thanks in advance for an assistance whatsoever, even if its just a 'maybe its this' type of answer.
Broxson
0 x
“If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective.” - Ted Nugent
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” - Thomas Jefferson

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 009

Re: Bolt action rifle misfire/AD issue

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:53 pm

If ut were me id start looking at the springs and go from there. See if you can find a diagram online and see if you can narrow it down. Get some new springs if possible and replace the old ones.
1 x

DWARREN123

Post by DWARREN123 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:42 am

Also check for wear on sear and related parts.
What brand/model of rifle?
I missed it at first, sorry.
Last edited by DWARREN123 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Shut up and Reload!

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:04 am

Wow. I didn't think that anyone had one of those but me... What a great rifle. The very first gun that my Dad bought (way before 1979...) and the one that started my appreciation (obsession if you listen to my wife) of firearms. Mine was extremely accurate for a budget gun and also extremely reliable. My Dad gave it to me and I gave it to my son, so he has it now and maybe shoots it once a year.

Sorry that this has been absolutely no help, but the memories came flooding back when you mentioned it.

It breaks down pretty easily, pull the bolt back, press the trigger and it releases and a couple screws to take out the trigger group (this is from memory), but since I don't have it I can't easily help debug it.
1 x

Broxson
Founding Member #: 303

Post by Broxson » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Ghostwolf308 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:53 pm
If ut were me id start looking at the springs and go from there. See if you can find a diagram online and see if you can narrow it down. Get some new springs if possible and replace the old ones.
Found the schematic and ordered a new firing pin spring and a new striker spring since these are the two springs directly in line with the firing mechanisms. We shall see. Thanks.
DWARREN123 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:42 am
Also check for wear on sear and related parts.
What brand/model of rifle?
I missed it at first, sorry.
The trigger, sear, safety, and all that assembly appears to be fine. If the springs dont fix it, Ill start on these parts of the gun.

Its a 1979 Marlin Glenfield Model 25.
ncjw wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:04 am
Wow. I didn't think that anyone had one of those but me...

Sorry that this has been absolutely no help, but the memories came flooding back when you mentioned it.
No problem at all! In fact, thanks for sharing. I love hearing about other peoples experiences and nostalgia for thesame guns Im so nostalgic about. Got any stories about a Browning A5 16g, Remington 1100LT-20 Magnum, a 1972 Ruger 10/22, or a 1910 30-06 Sringfiled WWI Battle Rifle, lol? As a side note, I also have a single shot bolt action Winchester Model 1902 .22 from ~1914 :)

And yep, one of the easiest takedowns ever. One big screw and the barrel is off. Pull the trigger and slide the bolt out.

Thanks for everything guys! Ill let you know how it turns out. And you know, I knew I was making the right choice asking here. I asked on the Marlin forum and after like 50 views, I *still* dont have a single reply. :/
0 x
“If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective.” - Ted Nugent
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” - Thomas Jefferson