AR15 Optics

General Discussion Section for All Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories.
NWcityguy2

Re: AR15 Optics

Post by NWcityguy2 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 pm

ncjw wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:28 pm
That is kind of my point. I agree that the 1-4/6/8x is a really good rifleman/combat/SHTF solution from CQB to 300 yards. The military standard has been the ACOG 4x or Elcan 1/4x switchable.

But again, for a deer at 200 yards, a reasonable 4-14x is better than a 1-4x, and in a home defense at 0-25 yards a red dot is better than a 1-4x. And if you shoot someone much longer than that, you got some 'splainin' to do.
Sorry, didn't realize your question was rhetorical.

I agree completely about shooting at distance, even though I myself can shoot a 3-4" group at 200 yards using my 1-4x optic and regularly shoot at 8" gongs at that distance in competition. It doesn't make much sense to buy a zoom scope and then only use it at maximum magnification.
0 x

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:23 am

My time in the Army was before optics were being used. And I'm not sure how many Combat Engineers use optics these days either, or if it's standard for everyone. Anyway, my experience with optics on AR's is pretty limited. I have the Primary Arms red dot for home defense. It's a decent optic, and so far has held up well. From what I'm understanding in your post, a 1-4x might be the best option for an all purpose optic. I understand up close might not be the best option, but for a general purpose optic, it might be the way to go. A few weeks ago I shot an AR with the Trijicon MRO on it, and really liked it. But I also wasn't shooting it at great distances. I think 50 yards was the farthest distance. I think it was the Nikon BDC I looked at awhile ago, that had ranges out to 600 yards. I'm not sure how well it would really work though at that distance. I may jump on YT and see if I can find some reviews on it that cover distances.

Edit: I just checked, it was the Nikon M223 1-4x scope that I was interested in. I think something in that range will be my next purchase.
[/quote]

Yeah I'll never forget shooting 300 meter silhouettes with iron sights But we did and they fell. Probably does help to have young eyes!
As others pointed out the optic has to be picked with the mission in mind.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:40 am

Crosspower wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:23 am
Yeah I'll never forget shooting 300 meter silhouettes with iron sights But we did and they fell. Probably does help to have young eyes!
As others pointed out the optic has to be picked with the mission in mind.
Good times. Most years I qualified expert with iron sights. I'm still a decent shot with irons, but haven't shot that distance in a long time. Just looking for a general purpose optic. My red dot will stay on my HD rifle, but looking for a variable optic with a little more flexibility. I'm now leaning towards a 1-6x Vortex or Primary Arms.
0 x

NWcityguy2

Post by NWcityguy2 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 am

Those are the same optic, just with different reticle options and warranties from the different companies.
0 x