Prefer GREEN dots to red.

Discussion for Competition Shooting.
Snowhack

Prefer GREEN dots to red.

Post by Snowhack » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:42 pm

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before on here but I yield no results searching for it, so sorry if this is redundant. I have a the best gun ever created, I think you guys call it the TP9SFx or something? Anyway I've been an iron sights guy since since the BRM range at Ft Lost in the Woods some years ago. I've been an especially strong proponent of irons on pistols and only saw reflex dots as a rifle thing, backed up by irons of course. Carrying primarily for personal protection and home defense I saw dots as a weak point or an added step in a fight. After purchasing the SFx I became very interested in at least trying them out especially after trying my hand at competing with it. Literally everyone had a reflex optic on their race gun slide. I couldn't find the sense in spending $500 to realize I hate dots on pistols so I went the cheap route, an ADE RD3-006B Green Dot just to see if I would like it. I prefer green over red in my rifle dots, I even switched out the front filament to green when I received the SFx. Well turns out I not only love the dot, I've become reliant on it. Some of my best groups are with that thing. It did take a while at first but I'm completely sold on them now. Unfortunately my choice in the cheap option has come back to haunt me. The ADE has become intermittent in staying on through a whole mag. It just turns off. Sometimes it comes right back on with the switch sometimes not. New battery didn't help.

So now to my questions. First: Why is it so difficult to search retailers for pistol only optics? These things aren't popular enough to have their own category or industry standard designation? They don't even have a consistent name across the board? Type in micro red dot, pistol red dot, slide mounted red dot, slide mounted reflex sight, micro reflex sight, competition red dot sight, pistol only red dot, pistol only reflex sight, it all yields the same 7 page result list of every electronic optic that company sells from RMRs to ACOGS and at the end of the list is fiber optic iron sights. Type in RMR gets you Trijicon only. Type in green dot gets you 3 green lasers and 400 red dot only optics choices. And that huge list of red dot optics doesn't offer you a choice of green, red, or blue dots.
I'm pretty resourceful with the choices of retailers that offer sights and searching through their inventory, even eBay and Amazon have choices, but trying to find a green dot is frustrating. I literally have to go through all the lists of optics and visually find the ones that are pistol only then go through the description to see if there is a green dot option. Why are we limited to just red anyway? I hate red, I can barely see it bright conditions and that makes picking it up slow and costly. For me, my eyes find green better and faster in all light conditions and I'm not alone in this.

Does anyone have a list of green dot option reflex sights? Or perhaps a source for just pistol optics? Or just from personal experience know of a green dot, high quality sight? I don't care about the price so much. I want something that will last and work. Thank you and sorry if this was to lengthy a post for basically one question.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Re: Prefer GREEN dots to red.

Post by Janik » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:56 pm

Following, I'm currently in the market for an RMR for my SFx. I've only shot iron sights and this will be my first RMR. And, I also learned on iron sights some years ago when OSUT at Ft. Leonard Wood. Although, it was a rifle, to this day I rarely use optics. But I'm curious about your comment about green over red. I've switched out my red fiber optics to green, and may have to look at RMR options with green as well.
0 x

BentAero

Post by BentAero » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:41 pm

Sadly, I don't think any of the better quality Dots are available in green. I too would prefer green.

The symptoms you describe with your ADE sound like the battery losing connection intermittently. The battery is rattling-around with each shot. It's a common problem with optics and GPS units. Try tightening up the battery cavity with a couple layers of ordinary printer paper.

On a side note, red lasers cause me pain right between my eyes. There's something about that color spectrum that gives me an instant headache. Green lasers (that cost much more than red) don't do that.
0 x

Snowhack

Post by Snowhack » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:37 pm

:-BD Ya I was OSUT too...12B.

I really thought I would hate the dot on a pistol but I'm amazed how I've taken to it. I was always a pretty decent shot, but a dot really tightens my groups. I do a lot of shooting on a B27 economy Target and I'm always well inside the scoring rings right out to 25 yds. With the dot I'm rarely outside the 9 or 10 rings with a 50 round course of fire. Ironically the dot had also given me my first misses (off paper or out of scoring) I can't really explain it here but I know I'm taking the shots wild when I take them as I'm trying to increase the speed the dot naturally inspires. I'm sure this is an existing phenomenon with some fancy name consistent with shooters using dots or maybe just shooters new to dots. But it's humbling to have 30 or so hits inside the X and still have one or two off paper. I still practice with irons for the same reason I still practice with a compass and maps. Plus I'm a weapons instructor for my department that doesn't issue optics.
Not sure what it is with the green over red but once I used a green reticle on my AR I was amazed at how much better I could pick it up. I noticed Trijicon had both a green and amber alternative. Very pricey and the reports of being to dim in low light worries me. I love the idea of the Delta Point because an iron sight attachment can be added to the rear of the unit. Unfortunately they have no green option listed.
0 x

Snowhack

Post by Snowhack » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:42 pm

ADE is releasing a dot they claim will have a 40,000 hour battery life for $60 on the 28th. If only the dot was dependable they would have my money by Tuesday. Even if they were over zealous on the battery life half that time is a year and a half of constant on.
0 x

Snowhack

Post by Snowhack » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:45 pm

I'm going to try the paper shim idea.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:00 am

I felt the same about pistol optics in the begining. Then I tried a friends g34 with a RMR and it changed my mind. Don't know anyone who makes an affordable green reticle though. Do have a couple rifle optics that have red or green option I will occasionally switch between them depending on how bright it is outside and the background im shooting against.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:57 am

https://leapers.com/index.php?act=prod_ ... SCP-RDM20G

Google is a thing now, right?...

Used search terms: green dot RMR -Trijicon
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:01 am

ncjw wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:57 am

UTG.. it might not survive the first magazine, I had a cheap utg reflex sight it broke on its first range outting on my SAIGA.
1 x

Snowhack

Post by Snowhack » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:42 am

ncjw wrote:

That's what I was trying to explain in the opening post. There's no industry standard name for the dots that are specific to milled pistol slides. Googling any of the names I specified in that post, including your example, yield a huge generic list of all sights battery powered none of them green except maybe an odd green laser. Google, specifically, will show the word green crossed out right below the results. That was my point, these things should be popular enough by now to have their own category.
0 x

Snowhack

Post by Snowhack » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:18 pm

I tried the paper shim idea using a piece of masking tape. As I tighten the retaining screws you can see the dot turn off, loosen them and it comes right on. ~X(
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:48 pm

Same situation here...have a Burris FF3 on my SFx and really really like it. However, green has always been my preference. I have two ARs with the Vortex StrikeFire II, and using them in green dot mode on both. I also have a P320 with a Viridian C5L with a green laser.

The thing about "Green" is, it's easier for the human eye to see in the visible light spectrum than red. However...green lasers are more expensive to produce and they use more power than red. So for a micro dot sight that's limited in size, red makes more sense. But it would be nice to have the option to pay more and get a green if you want one.

Here's a link that I bookmarked back when I was buying my rifle dots years ago that discusses red vs green...
https://www.crimsontrace.com/about-our- ... en-lasers/
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:55 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:01 am
ncjw wrote:

UTG.. it might not survive the first magazine, I had a cheap utg reflex sight it broke on its first range outting on my SAIGA.

Agreed...not something I'd put on a carry gun!!!
If Vortex offered one with a $100 premium over red...I'd pay it!
1 x