Slide won’t fully close

Having and issue with your Canik Firearm? Post your problem here for other members to assist with finding a resolution.
Cbrguy

Slide won’t fully close

Post by Cbrguy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:48 am

I have a TP9SFX last Night I took the slide off just to take a look at something. I didn’t take barrel or recoil spring out. Once I put back together I racked it tested for function as I always do when taking something apart and now the is stuck about half way. It will move rearward back and forth once I get to about midpoint of the top of barrel or hood it just stops. I’m thinking the recoil spring may have moved and I didn’t notice when assembling. I’m looking for any suggestions on how to get it to closed or what may be stopping it at that point without shipping or taking somewhere. Not that I’m a jack ass or don’t know my firearm like I have gotten when asking a question on other gun forums. Thanks guys! And no there is no round in the chamber.
0 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Re: Slide won’t fully close

Post by higgybaby » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:38 am

Welcome Cbrguy........ sorry you are having issues. But hang on- there are many SFXer's on this forum. Someone will be along eventually that will know what the issue is.
1 x

Cbrguy

Post by Cbrguy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:50 am

Thank you I’m hoping it’s just the recoil spring. Not my first pistol but is my first Canik. I have done custom work on Glock’s and Ruger’s before so I’m not new to firearms just looking for some input from someone who maybe has had the same issue. Thank you though I appreciate anyone’s help!
0 x

Cbrguy

Post by Cbrguy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:22 pm

UPDATE...I spoke with century I will try what they recommended when I get home tonight and hopefully be good to go.
0 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:58 pm

Sounds good- keep us posted.
0 x

FrankW
Founding Member #: 013

Post by FrankW » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Hi Cbrgun,

I had a similar problem with my SF model. I was able to use the take down latches and got the slide off. I had put the spring in at the wrong position. There are two places to latch the spring/guide and one doesn't work. When you try to disassemble make sure you remove the mag and pull the trigger. With a little fooling with it I got the slide off and reposition the spring assy.

Frank
Last edited by FrankW on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Cbrguy

Post by Cbrguy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Frank,

Thanks for your suggestion I will definitely give it a try. That's essentially what century told so that's what I will do. Thanks again for your help!
0 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:31 pm

Yes, I'm sure it's something silly that is overlooked. I have many pistols, and this type of thing happens to me every so often, and I wiggle, twist, jiggle and shake...and then I go back and work on the pistol. ( =)) … C'mon, that's funny, admit it) But often something was just a tad off...spring assembly not seated; magazine should be installed or not installed; trigger should be set or released; wrong channel on TV...and every pistol is a bit different.

Good luck and keep us posted, even if it is a missing jiggle or twisted wiggle.
1 x
It just goes to show...wherever you go, there you are! :-?

Cbrguy

Post by Cbrguy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:40 pm

Haha yep as do I I'm not stuck on one brand so just hoping a twist, jiggle, wiggle and maybe some pushing and pulling will get it taken care of. It was late and after a long day of work and a night of school I just put it away and said I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Headed home now to see if I can get it. Thanks everyone for your positive input I will be sure to post the outcome and what I find.
0 x

OhioLefty

Post by OhioLefty » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:47 pm

Make sure your trigger bar isn't coming in contact with the barrel. I've seen the trigger bar twist inward just enough to come into contact with the barrel hood and not allowing the slide to move forward. Easy to see if you know to look for it. Good luck.
0 x